Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Ingredients Range ??

Options
  • 20-01-2018 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭

There is a range of ingredients in Tesco - Tesco Ingredients - they have oriental/asian and indian spices pastes etc... I use to buy the Tesco Ingredients Thai Red Curry paste - loved it - but it seems that it has been delisted - along with other items... anyone noticed that this range has shrunk? I wonder why - the paste was soo good - had to be popular.. other pastes available are inferior imo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

You probably wouldn't get it at Tesco (even though I sometimes see the green one), I take the Mae Ploy. My favourite curry paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭sporina

LirW wrote: »
    You probably wouldn't get it at Tesco (even though I sometimes see the green one), I take the Mae Ploy. My favourite curry paste.

its part of the tesco ingredients range so it can only be got at tesco....?? where can you get mae play?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I know that my Tesco has the Green one, they might have the Red one too, I've never seen it though because rarely shop at Tesco. You can get it in every Asian Supermarket (also online).

LirW wrote: »
    I know that my Tesco has the Green one, they might have the Red one too, I've never seen it though because rarely shop at Tesco. You can get it in every Asian Supermarket (also online).

yes i will have to look for a new brand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Mae ploy is another very good brand you'll find in many asian supermarkets, and it'll almost certainly be a lot cheaper than the tesco version :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

B0jangles wrote: »
    Mae ploy is another very good brand you'll find in many asian supermarkets, and it'll almost certainly be a lot cheaper than the tesco version :)

Argh, sorry! I meant to type Maesri! Mae ploy is absolutely fine, but I think Maesri do pastes that Mae ploy don't and I think they are also preservative-free :)

Edit: Just in case you do end up making a trip to an asian market, consider buying a bottle of fish sauce - so much cheaper and generally better quality that a normal supermarket (Squid brand and Tiparos are both great), and also grab some keffir lime leaves from the freezer. I think Tesco have dried ones in ingredients range in a little jar, but the flavour of the frozen ones is far far better and you get loads of them for a couple of quid. They come in a big flat vac-pac like this:

mtEHQVE.jpg

I find adding a splash of fish sauce, a bit of brown sugar and a few lime leaves into most thai curry broths takes them from very tasty to absolutely delicious and fresh-tasting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sporina wrote: »
    I wonder why - the paste was soo good - had to be popular
    I very rarely saw people at the "ingredients" section, most of it was all very expensive.

I think the Mae Ploy is only 2.50 in the asian shop I go to. And it is not totally watered down like some are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I've noticed that the range has shrunk and (in my local tesco) aren't all in a single location anymore. Their spanish smoked paprika was, great, the right amount of smokiness with a chilli kick. I've occasionally bought their tahini when I couldn't get to an asian shop. And the chipotle and smoked paprika paste is fabulous.

For alternative thai curries, I like the cock brand (as they're vegetarian) but they're hard to hunt down in many shops (mae ploy has shrimp paste in it)

Tree wrote: »
    I've noticed that the range has shrunk and (in my local tesco) aren't all in a single location anymore. Their spanish smoked paprika was, great, the right amount of smokiness with a chilli kick. I've occasionally bought their tahini when I couldn't get to an asian shop. And the chipotle and smoked paprika paste is fabulous.

For alternative thai curries, I like the cock brand (as they're vegetarian) but they're hard to hunt down in many shops (mae ploy has shrimp paste in it)

thanks - oh i'll have a look in the veggie stores here - also m&s is prob an option

Advertisement