Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving from informal maintenence agreement to formal

• 20-01-2018 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice

My friend has an informal maintenance agreement in place with his ex wife for the last 5 years or so paid into her bank account.

He is now looking to move towards getting a divorce.

Would it be prudent to get his current arrangement made legal in the family courts himself so that part is taken care of before he consults solicitors to keep costs down etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Is the divorce going to be friendly or not. If it's going to be friendly they could go to mediation, draw up an agreement regarding everything and then the court date would be pretty much a rubber stamping exercise.

If it's going to be nasty get to a solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

I wouldn't imagine it would be the friendliest she doesn't engage with him much on matters. Thankfully no property is involved just his pension.

She has never worked even before they started their family so I assume she will still be entitled to a portion of it even though she didn't technically sacrifice or delay a career to start a family. She relies completely on his maintenance and social welfare.

Advertisement