Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings [Mod Note in Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I advise listening to Niall Boylan if you want honesty from our radio presenters.

EdgeLord!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

The country is ****ed.

How can anyone be positive about the future with all this in mind? What the **** are we doing with our immigration policies?

What'll the next census figures look like for Irish population?

To be honest I am more concerned with the numbers not included in the census.

I can't imagine a lot of illegal migrants putting much energy and honesty into filling out the form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

The country is ****ed.

How can anyone be positive about the future with all this in mind? What the **** are we doing with our immigration policies?

What'll the next census figures look like for Irish population?

By all accounts Leo wants it 50/50 by 2040. I honestly have no issues with people coming here to work, I also have no issues with genuine asylum seekers, but I do think we should look at the figures and keep them at a manageable levels.

We are a small country on the edge of Europe with a population under 5 million, at what point will the scales tip over to be outnumbered ? now I know some folk will say it's one world and we all own it etc etc, but I believe a country has the right to keep immigration to manageable levels, is that racist..

not yet wrote: »
    By all accounts Leo wants it 50/50 by 2040

Really, all accounts? Link?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

"Two car loads of local men" hahahahah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

By all accounts Leo wants it 50/50 by 2040.

Is there absolutely anything to support this assertion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I advise listening to Niall Boylan if you want honesty from our radio presenters.

Just said there he spoke out and congratulated the gards for stopping a bus yesterday and detaining to African men who had no i.d.

A complaint has been put in against him by the immigration council of Ireland and they asked him to take down his tweet.

Well he just let rip at them there and told it unlike anyone else has the balls too.

Only one worth listening too on radio.

Was on break earlier and I heard this, Boylan is the only presenter who has the balls to stand up to these gobsh1tes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Kivaro wrote: »
    Curiously, I've seen that exact same response on boards before as if it somehow mitigated Sinn Fein's open border stance.
    That racism policy has zero to do with their Sinn Fein's stated open border stance. We continue to hear Sinn Fein representatives advocating for open borders. This repeated response is a poor goalpost movement exercise.

It would seem fairly logical that if a party brings out a new policy document that deals with immigration and don't mention a previous policy, and don't mention it for the next 18 years, it's safe to say it's no longer a policy.
    I have the sense that, even as a newreg, that you are an expert in how boards works, so you are aware that you can only thank the whole post and not parts of it.
    I'm sure that others found the "I'll get my coat , probably see ya'll in a few weeks" funny just like I did. Maybe you should adjust your outrage level a little bit.

As an experienced user you should probably know that that is a poor excuse for thanking a racist joke.

Only a fùcking idiot would get offended at being referred to by their colour especially by someone of a different colour. Sounds like the taxi man was looking to play the racist card as per usual. I wonder what I'd be called if I was driving a taxi in Lagos.

Or maybe he has just had to put up with a lot of racism and is tired of being reduced to his colour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

MrFresh wrote: »
    It would seem fairly logical that if a party brings out a new policy document that deals with immigration and don't mention a previous policy, and don't mention it for the next 18 years, it's safe to say it's no longer a policy.

I wonder if you even read the new Sinn Fein's policy document that you quoted.
    Especially the bit where Sinn Fein calls for amnesty for asylum seekers instead of deportations. And the even more ludicrous bit where Sinn Fein states that "there can be no limit on the number of asylum seekers" in Ireland.

If this is their new policy, then I think it's even worse than the old one.

It seems that the usual crowd on here who want to close down any discussion on migrants/refugees were able to get the thread title changed. The idea of having a two-side discussion on these types of topics drive the New Liberal Left posters bonkers. Freedom of speech to them equates to only their view being allowed to be posted. I'm sure that they have a list of words that they want censored on boards too, like one of the words that was on the original title of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yeah, i see the name change. Who changes it? - Mods i presume. I doubt wheeliebin 30 changed it.
    Next stop-sent to politics cafe to gather dust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

enricoh wrote: »
    Yeah, i see the name change. Who changes it? - Mods i presume. I doubt wheeliebin 30 changed it.
    Next stop-sent to politics cafe to gather dust!

Nope wasn’t me.

I was wondering though.

It seems that the usual crowd on here who want to close down any discussion on migrants/refugees were able to get the thread title changed. The idea of having a two-side discussion on these types of topics drive the New Liberal Left posters bonkers. Freedom of speech to them equates to only their view being allowed to be posted. I'm sure that they have a list of words that they want censored on boards too, like one of the words that was on the original title of this thread.

dr-evil-crying1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Vietnamese man arrested yesterday in Clarehall, after two cars were torched and two men were described as walking around with large knives..described by locals as Meat Cleavers.

You'll notice that the Evening Herald describe the arrested man as Vietnamese but the majority of Media outlets including the Indo, Journal and RTE decline to give a description beyond the mans age.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=25&v=xD2U_JGm-ZI

https://www.herald.ie/news/arson-suspect-held-as-two-cars-torched-outside-family-home-37950940.html

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/video-man-40s-arrested-after-apartment-complex-and-two-cars-set-on-fire-37949055.html

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/0325/1038539-clarehall/

I've no idea what the story is with that incident. Lots of Vietnamese folk settled around the Coolock area in the 70s and 80s when we took in some "boat people". I was in school with a few of them; incredibly hard-working and smart lads. I would be very surprised if that incident was simply down to scumbaggery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

By all accounts Leo wants it 50/50 by 2040..
    What do you mean? Half of us gay?

I wonder what I'd be called if I was driving a taxi in Lagos.
    Probably Mr Bitter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Patty Hearst

I've no idea what the story is with that incident. Lots of Vietnamese folk settled around the Coolock area in the 70s and 80s when we took in some "boat people". I was in school with a few of them; incredibly hard-working and smart lads. I would be very surprised if that incident was simply down to scumbaggery.

Yeah I've no doubt, you hardly ever hear vietnamese mentioned in relation to crime.
    My point was that the Media have a tendency to omit the background and physical description of perps when they're non national.

Yeah I've no doubt, you hardly ever hear vietnamese mentioned in relation to crime.
    My point was that the Media have a tendency to omit the background and physical description of perps when they're non national.

But, but why does it matter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Patty Hearst

But, but why does it matter...

I think you know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Why was the thread title changed??

I think you know...

No, Surely a description with all possible details is unimportant..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Why was the thread title changed??

Mod bantz.

Especially the bit where Sinn Fein calls for amnesty for asylum seekers instead of deportations. And the even more ludicrous bit where Sinn Fein states that "there can be no limit on the number of asylum seekers" in Ireland.

So is that you accepting they don't have an open door policy or are you sticking with that claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Three men have been arrested for conspiracy to murder as part of an investigation into organised crime in Dublin.

The men, aged between 24 and 38, were arrested in the north inner city and Finglas areas last night.

They are being held at different garda stations in Dublin.

Gardaí say the arrests were made during an ongoing investigation by Special Crime Operations into serious feud-related organised crime activity in Dublin.

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2019/0328/1039086-dublin-gang-crime/
    There's a suggestion Flashy was lifted. Anyone hear anything about that?

amcalester wrote: »
    Mod bantz.

Maybe the Boards tagline should be changed from “Now you’re talking” to “Now you’ll talk about only what we want you to talk about”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Hoboo

What a $hit thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

As soon as I saw the thread title change, I knew what happened.
    To appease the effeminate shrill demands of the voiceous minority posters, the mods figured it made sense to give in to their demands.

Here's the thing though: Boards is now a business. Imagine the click-throughs, the subscriptions, the advertiser support ..... if Boards actually depicted a majority view; rather than the closed minority view .... it may develop into a profitable business. The same rules would apply i.e. don't be a dickhead. If you post racist views; then not only are you are a dickhead, but you are banned from not only boards, but from life itself.
    Easy peasy rules.

It's up to to Boards. Common sense rules, or be beholden to the the shrill voices of intolerant posters. Even if Boards bans all impartial discussion, what's next? It will never be sufficient for the Varadkars/Coveneys of the world.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Absolute state of this post.

I mean seriously. Youre acting like civil rights have been violated.

Maybe its time to rise up? George soros has gone too far this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Since we apparently can't jail violent scumbags in this country, would anyone else be in favour of electronic tagging and real-time GPS monitoring of individuals with multiple convictions for random acts of violence, gang activity, or serious violent crime (organised or otherwise)? So that a Garda station, when getting reports of an incident like this, could pull up a Google Maps -esque application on their wall and get a rewindable (for at least several days) "live map" of where known scumbags are? That would help to narrow down the suspects in repeat offences (if they're present at the time of the incident, and especially if they're present in the company of other known scumbag associates), and ideally would be enough evidence to arrest them and, with perhaps a little further evidence to be collected, charge them at the very least with a criminal conspiracy offence. I'm all about civil liberties as any old-timers here will know very well, but the idea that one forfeits some civil liberties after committing a serious crime is the bedrock of a justice system. I don't see why 24/7 surveillance of this kind for people with multiple violence-based convictions should be considered unreasonable, and with recent advantages in technology it would be both ridiculously easy to implement on a software level, and probably fairly cheap to implement the hardware. We already have electronic tagging, this would just link it up to a live map, the same way as "Find My iPhone" works when you log in to iCloud after losing your phone.

I for one would have no problem at all with this being used as evidence in court, IE "We had reports of a 20-strong gang of thugs running amok in Portmarnock lack night, and after consulting with the live convict map we identified twelve individuals with known proclivities for violence who were present at the scene around the time the reported incidents occurred" and this, along with other evidence, being considered a reasonable grounds to convict these people on conspiracy charges.

Conspiracy in Irish law is flexible by design, it's laid out in the Criminal Justice Act 2006 and doesn't even require the prosecution to prove that an individual actually committed or planned to personally commit an overt act - it merely requires proof that the individual in question conspired with others to commit an overt act. In this context, these gangs should essentially be treated the same way as proscribed organisations are.

It would be controversial and would require extremely robust legislation to ensure that it wasn't open to abuse by the authorities, and also to ensure that it couldn't be challenged as unconstitutional. But I for one believe there would be widespread public support for it. The monitoring wouldn't necessarily last forever or even for a massive length of time either - I'm basically just saying that the era of criminals committing crimes, and then being described in subsequent media reporting of the aforementioned crimes as "known to the Gardaí" has to end. People who are "known to the Gardaí" in this manner should have pre-emptive steps taken, live surveillance tracking being one possibility, to ensure that they do not continue their litany of criminal behaviour.

EDIT: Wow, the feckin' Brits are a bit ahead of me here :D:D:D They're rolling out something similar with electronic tagging, albeit apparently without the legal aspect of conspiracy charges:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47256515

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Liberal idiocy is gone very far, see it around immigration policy for sure. Casey was a warning to the political elite, start exercising common sense or the people will turn to someone who will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Apart from tending indoor cannabis farms. What's that all about?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They like gardening? :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Liberal idiocy is gone very far, see it around immigration policy for sure. Casey was a warning to the political elite, start exercising common sense or the people will turn to someone who will.

Casey is an arsehole, exercising political populism, for his own gains, and people lapped it up. It ll rare it's ugly head again in the next elections.

As soon as I saw the thread title change, I knew what happened.
    To appease the effeminate shrill demands of the voiceous minority posters, the mods figured it made sense to give in to their demands.

You're the kind of person who uses "soyboy" as an insult aren't you?

Here's the thing though: Boards is now a business. Imagine the click-throughs, the subscriptions, the advertiser support ..... if Boards actually depicted a majority view; rather than the closed minority view .... it may develop into a profitable business. The same rules would apply i.e. don't be a dickhead. If you post racist views; then not only are you are a dickhead, but you are banned from not only boards, but from life itself.
    Easy peasy rules.

People like you always think they are in the majority when you are actually just a very loud minority. Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Tommy Robinson. You all think you are talking for the sensible people of the world but in reality you are only in a bubble of self congratulation.

It's up to to Boards. Common sense rules, or be beholden to the the shrill voices of intolerant posters. Even if Boards bans all impartial discussion, what's next? It will never be sufficient for the Varadkars/Coveneys of the world.

Common sense would dictate a business avoid the kind of racist ignorance we've seen in this thread. They give ye fairly wide latitude with your posts. More so than many other places would I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Only a fùcking idiot would get offended at being referred to by their colour especially by someone of a different colour. Sounds like the taxi man was looking to play the racist card as per usual. I wonder what I'd be called if I was driving a taxi in Lagos.

exactly they don’t hold back there. Friend of mine was called Every name under the sun on a recent stopover in Lagos.

He said it was shocking. From the taxi men at the airport to the restaurant and jostling and general aggression from randomers in the street there was a lot of hostility and insults often in pidgin English.

Said it was a level worse than anything you would get in Europe.

exactly they don’t hold back there. Friend of mine was called Every name under the sun on a recent stopover in Lagos.

He said it was shocking. From the taxi men at the airport to the restaurant and randomers in the street there was a lot of hostility and insults often in pidgin English.

Exactly, so if it is so bad, why would it be ok here on the other side? The posters argument is basically, "white people get treated badly in Africa so it's ok to be racist here,"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Exactly, so if it is so bad, why would it be ok here on the other side? The posters argument is basically, "white people get treated badly in Africa so it's ok to be racist here,"

I think my point is it’s actually way worse over there. I am not commenting about here in this country.

I think my point is it’s actually way worse over there. I am not commenting about here in this country.

My point is that it doesn't matter. We shouldn't hold ourselves to lower standards out of some sense of balance.

He said it was shocking. From the taxi men at the airport to the restaurant and jostling and general aggression from randomers in the street there was a lot of hostility and insults often in pidgin English.

You've an anecdote for every topic on Boards it seems.

See...

That's your problem right there. White people get treated 'badly' in Africa so it's ok to be racist here.

Why not call it as it fcuking is, If it's racism here, it's racism there. You can stick one rule for them etc up your hoop..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Can I ask why you thanked the racist comment about bananas?

Jaysus corner of hells made a witty remark, I didn't see any malice in it. It could have been a plantain for christsakes. Or a misshapen carrot for that matter, in which case he'd be accused of being racist against himself. Don't beat me master... I won't run again. That's an example of a comment a racist might make, not a joke about some prick waving a poxy banana/plantain/carrot/leek around the place like a spa.

That's your problem right there. White people get treated 'badly' in Africa so it's ok to be racist here.

Do they though?

I mean we seem to be basing that on one anecdote that probably didn't happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is it racist to be disappointed that the new Irish are acting like this in our country?
    It doesn’t help the decent African community either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

bigpink wrote: »
    Is it racist to be disappointed that the new Irish are acting like this in our country?

They not really Irish though are they?

Just got a citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

No Blacks

No Dogs

No Irish

How quickly we forget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

bigpink wrote: »

Exactly. Flippancy will have consequences. How the state handles such things at the outset has potentially longer term consequences. Must get this right and send out the clear message: not acceptable here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

squawker wrote: »
    No Blacks

No Dogs

No Irish

How quickly we forget

How quickly we roll out cliches too.
    There's serious crime/violence problems with blacks in America, so were they wrong?

Although they brought that upon themselves with the history of slavery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

declan2693 wrote: »

Just got a citizenship.

As Irish as Bundee Aki.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

He sounds like a right arse. Was he hurling abuse or just flicking V's at everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

declan2693 wrote: »

Just got a citizenship.

Anyone called Fitzgerald is as Irish as can be in my book, despite coming from immigrants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

That wasn't really my point, I'd expect to be referred to as a white man in Lagos the capital of a predominantly black country, I wouldn't cry racism like the taxi driver did in the video. There was no racism in that video. In fact the only person in the video that came close to being racist was the taxi driver himself.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement