Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings [Mod Note in Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I'd say the Gardai have a big enough sway about who gets named and who doesn't. The crime journos are under the thumb of the Gardai.

They don't. There are normally legal restrictions precluding naming those behind the nicknames.

Take Mr Big for example, there is a legal direction in place going back a few years that he cannot be named because he is/was facing serious charges and that naming him could jeopardise the case . That didn't stop someone here doing just that.

The media and the guards nick name them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

When is Sean Littles funeral? Will Wardy be there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I used to buy coke off lads years ago. Doesn’t mean I have any affiliation with them!

Right so.

But I would link the buying of sfuff to what happens up the chain.
    It has got to come from somewhere and many people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

STB. wrote: »
    They don't. There are normally legal restrictions precluding naming those behind the nicknames.

Take Mr Big for example, there is a legal direction in place going back a few years that he cannot be named because he is/was facing serious charges and that naming him could jeopardise the case . That didn't stop someone here doing just that.

My bad!! I actually didn't know it could compromise a case.

TheW1zard wrote: »
    When is Sean Littles funeral? Will Wardy be there ?

If you were him...would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Right so.

But I would link the buying of sfuff to what happens up the chain.
    It has got to come from somewhere and many people involved.

A person buying drugs off someone has absolutely zero connection to a gang of people who are dealers and shooting people.

By that logic every C level executive who lives in the leafy suburbs of D4 and shoves a key up their nose is linked to one of the gangs because they bought a bag or two from someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The big boys won’t make money unless the wee lad buys their stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Very little droplets of blood in homes in Blackrock.

By that logic every C level executive who lives in the leafy suburbs of D4 and shoves a key up their nose is linked to one of the gangs because they bought a bag or two from someone.

Exactly.

Voltex wrote: »
    My bad!! I actually didn't know it could compromise a case.

You weren't the first to do it. Someone else did the same only a few pages before you.

Just edit your post as if the newspapers aren't reporting their names its for a reason. They use nick names (some created) to get around getting sued especially where there are cases pending.

As far as I know Mr Flashy named here a few times again is not referred to by his real name in the papers as he hasn't been charged with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

STB. wrote: »

Mr Big has been on the go near 10 years and never been openly named. It's a long time. I don't think it really matters though at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Righteouswrong

Flashys gang being wiped out completely. Looking like mr big

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Mr Big has been on the go near 10 years and never been openly named. It's a long time. I don't think it really matters though at this point.

Didn't his court case collapse twice? He's up again soon I think.

So have I , it’s not coolock I moved from coolock st 7. Actually officially the whole area donnycarney Artane etc are in the barrony of coolock. Kilmore is its own area like green hills

Those ancient baronies don't mean a whole lot these days. They are all suburbs.

In the case of Kilmore, many residents for years referred to themselves as Artane especially when selling their house! Kilmore Close for example as distinct from the West.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Didn't his court case collapse twice? He's up again soon I think.

Collapsed once..DPP are gunning for him. I reckon he'll get 15..but his buddy recently got 18.... either way he's going away for along time!

Flashys gang being wiped out completely. Looking like mr big
    Why do you think Big is behind this?

If it didn't matter the papers would be naming him.

I have seen articles with the alt text on a picture tagged with "{named} is not to be named".

The very reason a recent court case collapsed is because of influence. Anyway I am not trying to mod the thread, just pointing out something in case people get themselves in trouble.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

So have I , it’s not coolock I moved from coolock st 7. Actually officially the whole area donnycarney Artane etc are in the barrony of coolock. Kilmore is its own area like green hills

Eh, that's going back over a 100 years ago. Coolock is Coolock and Artane is Artane and Donycarney is Donycarney and have been for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

humberklog wrote: »
    Eh, that's going back over a 100 years ago. Coolock is Coolock and Artane is Artane and Donycarney is Donycarney and have been for many years.

And Dublin is Dublin...:D

Hearing Sean's auld lad done the job the other day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

A person buying drugs off someone has absolutely zero connection to a gang of people who are dealers and shooting people.

I'm going to take it that this is a wind up... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Gerry Ryan RTE bought stuff. but he was part of the problem that believe its fine and don't look at the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

devil's advocate here. But if it was legal would there be the same level of killings over it?

not sure if the consumer is the issue here, but the greed of the dealers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I'm no angel but I think anyone who buys drugs is in some small way contributing to these deaths.

It's not intentional or direct on anyone's part but I think it's true.

If there was no market for their product, then none of this would be happening.
    They would be forced to earn a legitimate income, or be satisfied with the dole or commit robberies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I'm no angel but I think anyone who buys drugs is in some small way contributing to these deaths.

They would be forced to earn a legitimate income, or be satisfied with the dole or commit robberies.

Yeah OK, libby..
    It would be far more reasonable to tear up some human "rights" and just deal with this ****e, but no one really wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

jesus, nobody ever thought of this before.
    In case you're not sure .. it is your fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

Uriel. wrote: »
    Yeah OK, libby..
    It would be far more reasonable to tear up some human "rights" and just deal with this ****e, but no one really wants to.

Or people could just stop buying drugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Admin Note: Posting names of individuals & accusing them of gang involvement is not permitted. It exposes boards.ie, & especially the poster, to legal action.

Don't do it again.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

crybaby wrote: »
    Or people could just stop buying drugs?

But that is simply not going to happen , humans have been taking mind altering substances for thousands of years .
    It is a very difficult problem to solve , legislation of softer substances is an obvious option but what you do about the likes of crack, meth etc is anyone's guess .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

He was so close to the aisle with the bullet proof vests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Border Broadcaster

Anyone have any idea when Jumbo's funeral is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Annd9 wrote: »
    But that is simply not going to happen , humans have been taking mind altering substances for thousands of years .
    It is a very difficult problem to solve , legislation of softer substances is an obvious option but what you do about the likes of crack, meth etc is anyone's guess .

As soon as you legalise the less harmful stuff the crime gangs will move on the next thing that isn't legal. Right now they're happy enough selling cannabis, cocaine and heroin but legalise cannabis and cocaine then heroin, crack and meth sales will be boosted as that's what the gangs will move to selling.

Voltex wrote: »
    Why do you think Big is behind this?

A close pal of Big was originally suspected but that rumour has since been scrapped. Mr. big gets the blame for a lot of things as he is a smooth worker and people like to be associated with him and use his name as a defence mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Dante7 wrote: »
    Dubai has always struck me as a strange bolt hole for the Kinahans. Drug trafficking in the UAE merits the death penalty.

for street level dealers maybe, no matter where you are in the world money talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

A close pal of Big was originally suspected but that rumour has since been scrapped. Mr. big gets the blame for a lot of things as he is a smooth worker and people like to be associated with him and use his name as a defence mechanism.

I'd imagine quite a lot of these guys have people adding them on facebook so they can say the "know" them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Only way to smash these gangs is with informants and plenty of money.

It worked with the PIRA.

Cash is king.

• Advertisement

El_Bee wrote: »
    I'd imagine quite a lot of these guys have people adding them on facebook so they can say the "know" them.

I would imagine so, knowing someone in a heavy gang means alot to these lads

Only way to smash these gangs is with informants and plenty of money.

It worked with the PIRA.

Cash is king.

They are willing to kill if the even get the smell of an informant, gardai won't be willing to take that risk

They are willing to kill if the even get the smell of an informant, gardai won't be willing to take that risk

They already have informers but they need to step it up.

It’s the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Random Bloke

Annd9 wrote: »

If the problem is ever to be sorted, there will have to be much greater deterrent to "recreational drug usage". Such users are a very big cog in the wheel that results in the human misery elsewhere, and not just in Ireland. At the moment the deterrents are not sufficient. Much bigger, automatic, fines would be a good start - in any event these people need to pay a fairer share of the cost of their habit. Naming and shaming too - they need to be more aware of the fact that there is a direct connection between their habit and the human misery they create.
    We probably don't have enough jail space for them, but financial and reputational penalties would definitely help.
    An advertising campaign highlighting the consequences of recreational drug usage on other lives could also assist, and it would lay the groundwork for a tougher punishment regime for offenders.
    One for the politicians!

They already have informers but they need to step it up.

It’s the only way.

Even more dangerous then the game itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

If the problem is ever to be sorted, there will have to be much greater deterrent to "recreational drug usage". Such users are a very big cog in the wheel that results in the human misery elsewhere, and not just in Ireland. At the moment the deterrents are not sufficient. Much bigger, automatic, fines would be a good start - in any event these people need to pay a fairer share of the cost of their habit. Naming and shaming too - they need to be more aware of the fact that there is a direct connection between their habit and the human misery they create.
    We probably don't have enough jail space for them, but financial and reputational penalties would definitely help.
    An advertising campaign highlighting the consequences of recreational drug usage on other lives could also assist, and it would lay the groundwork for a tougher punishment regime for offenders.
    One for the politicians!

Addiction is most likely a genetic illness which the addict is powerless over.

Maybe we should fine cancer sufferers too.

You dint choose cancer.

You choose drugs.

Silly comparison.

casual users arent killing people

fellas with guns shooting people are killing people

being able to link the two doesnt make you a genius, it makes you a soundbite pusher

the illegality and profitability of the trade is what creates the culture of violent criminality

if you want to moralise about drug use, do so. if you want to address gang violence, that aint it chief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

😂
    Hope that post is a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

CeilingFly wrote: »
    No-one gives two hoots when scum murder scum.

Only person really interested is paul Williams so that his hysterical sensationalist assessments can be on every news broadcast on Newstalk.

Means radio one for me tomorrow.

That may be so but I live near the area and it disgusts me to think that the level of violence is becoming acceptable and common place. Innocent people have gotten killed in the past when "scum murder scum"

Highly addictive drugs do not require a genetic predisposition.

Legalising certain "drugs" like cannabis would free up a lot of Garda time. The real drugs that are highly addictive and the dealers that cash in on their misery could then be tackled adequately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

One for the politicians!

So much naivety in this post.

Many countries around the world have followed your suggestions, to varying levels of severity. No notable success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Mr. Big's real name is readily thrown out there in media reports relating to cases. It's the nickname that is omitted when reporting about him not his real name.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

Amirani wrote: »
    So much naivety in this post.

Many countries around the world have followed your suggestions, to varying levels of severity. No notable success.

Really. Are you proposing to do nothing and hope the problem goes away? Well, it won’t.

And as long as there is a tolerance for recreational drug use, there will be producers, importers, dealers, gangs, murders, human misery.

I am not saying that tougher laws will fix the problem, but they will certainly help.

There is a perception that there is a big disconnect between the recreational side of the drug industry and the gangland stuff. As a nation, if we want to tackle the gangland stuff, we need to get much tougher in not just the supply side, but also the demand side. And to pretend that the demand side only features helpless addicts is where the real naivety exists.

Mr. Big's real name is readily thrown out there in media reports relating to cases. It's the nickname that is omitted when reporting about him not his real name.

He seems to be a fairly quiet operator. Heard of a few people living around the border region after fleeing Dublin when there cronies Vinnie and Alan Ryan were murdered. Lots of people around saying they can't return to Dublin as long as Mr Big is in it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement