Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public transport commute between Blanchardstown and Dundrum

Options
  • 21-01-2018 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi there

Curious what would be the best way of getting from Grove Court (so basically Blanchardstown Shopping Centre) to Dundrum.

Best I can see is getting the 39 from the Centre down to the Cabra Guard Station on Cabra Road, walk up to Broombridge Luas station (been told the walk should be around 10 minutes) and then a straight Luas from there to Dundrum.

Any other recommendations welcome, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭macchoille

Hi there

Curious what would be the best way of getting from Grove Court (so basically Blanchardstown Shopping Centre) to Dundrum.

Best I can see is getting the 39 from the Centre down to the Cabra Guard Station on Cabra Road, walk up to Broombridge Luas station (been told the walk should be around 10 minutes) and then a straight Luas from there to Dundrum.

Any other recommendations welcome, thanks!

You could get a 44 bus fro St. Stephen’s green; it would take longer but might be cheaper. Transport for Ireland have an app on IOS called “Journey Plan” (Its probably on Android too). It will give you your options travelling between locations in Ireland at whatever time you wish to leave or arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

It may be quicker to walk to Coolmine train station, get the train to Broombridge and switch to the Luas there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I was working in Carrickmines and walked to the Luas. Green line to Stephen's Green. Picked up 38...walked home. 3 hours door to door. My car was in being serviced...i worked from home next day!

I think the best route is as suggested coolmine to broombridge. Clonsilla may be fractionally nearer?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

macchoille wrote: »
    You could get a 44 bus fro St. Stephen’s green; it would take longer but might be cheaper. Transport for Ireland have an app on IOS called “Journey Plan” (Its probably on Android too). It will give you your options travelling between locations in Ireland at whatever time you wish to leave or arrive.
    Problem is that the 44 is (or was when I used to get it a couple years ago) only once an hour, not that frequent.
    The price difference isn't that crazy when you factor in a TaxSaver Bus/Luas ticket, but thanks for the suggestion!
    Attol wrote: »
    It may be quicker to walk to Coolmine train station, get the train to Broombridge and switch to the Luas there.
    amtc wrote: »
    I was working in Carrickmines and walked to the Luas. Green line to Stephen's Green. Picked up 38...walked home. 3 hours door to door. My car was in being serviced...i worked from home next day!

I think the best route is as suggested coolmine to broombridge. Clonsilla may be fractionally nearer?

I tried that route the reverse way (luas to Broombridge then getting the train from there to Blanch) but it was Saturday and it said half an hour until the next train and the train "station" was deserted, run down and frankly not very welcoming.
    Are the trains more regular on week days? Wouldn't like to be stuck there for half an hour on a cold night.
    i wouldn't be travelling on peak times (except maybe one or two days a week in the morning) so any information welcome!

The way this was broken down to me, the 39A is fairly fast from the Centre to the Cabra road so it would be faster than walking to the train station and getting the train down to Broombridge.

Another question, does the 38 go all the way to the Blanch Centre or does it turn right after the Village and doesn't go into the Centre at all?
    I ask because the 38 stop in either Phibsboro or Cabra is only a couple of minutes away from the Luas station.

I don't mind a longer (ish) commute (hey, more reading time!) , I just want to make it as straightforward as possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Get a scooter or an electric bicycle.

I'd never try do that journey on public transport outside of peak ours. Its not viable, unless you don't mind wasting hours.

You'd actually cycle it faster on a regular bike. Its about an hour.

• Advertisement

38 doesn't go near the centre

I'm just wondering if a 17a to pop onto 5rain at castleknock might work?

beauf wrote: »
    Get a scooter or an electric bicycle.

I'd never try do that journey on public transport outside of peak ours. Its not viable, unless you don't mind wasting hours.

You'd actually cycle it faster on a regular bike. Its about an hour.
    That would actually kill me, wouldn't be up for that!
    Maybe build up to do something like that down the line, but nowhere near being up for it physically!
    38 doesn't go near the centre
    Ah, balls.
    I'm just wondering if a 17a to pop onto 5rain at castleknock might work?

Maybe, will keep that in mind for lazier days as it is a bus+train+luas solution so more expensive but sounds easy!

For most people I think it would only be doable on an electric bike and then not every day.

I'd be trying the luas if I was you

38 stop on snugborough road is fairly nearby. I find 38a gets me into town much quicker than 39.

• Advertisement

38 stop on snugborough road is fairly nearby. I find 38a gets me into town much quicker than 39.

Oh, looking at Google Maps and that should be a 15 minute walk to the Centre, definitely doable!
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

One thing to mention , the 38 and 38A both pass the phibsborough Luas stop.

I wouldn't think it's even 15 minutes. I used to work in the social welfare office and could get home to waterville in 10. Cut through the back of heatons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Oh, looking at Google Maps and that should be a 15 minute walk to the Centre, definitely doable!
    Cheers!

If it's rush hour aim for the 38b, even faster

I wouldn't think it's even 15 minutes. I used to work in the social welfare office and could get home to waterville in 10. Cut through the back of heatons.
    Even better, cheers!
    thomasj wrote: »
    One thing to mention , the 38 and 38A both pass the phibsborough Luas stop.
    Yep, definitely something I was looking at!
    Caranica wrote: »
    If it's rush hour aim for the 38b, even faster

Luckily, I almost always avoid rush hour, but something to consider.

The easiest thing is probably to get the 39 A to Nassau Street and get the Luas south from there and vice versa, but in busier days it would be nice to have options how to avoid the city centre in a bus.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

I ended up doing this yesterday...visiting a relative in dundrum, so took my own advice...38a to Phibsboro and out to balally (which is dundrum sc stop). Was afternoon so wasn't in a rush but made it in 59 minutes. I think i got lucky.

Mind you got a lift back....22 minutes!

59 sounda good tbh

Advertisement