Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a GPU. Should I wait?

Options
  • 21-01-2018 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi. I currently have 2 GTX970s in SLI but I know a lot of games aren't optimized to use SLI. Even the ones that are it gets really hot and loud when I play a game like GTA V for example. I have a 144hz 1080p monitor and GTA V gets 100+ FPS most of the time even with all the settings on ultra and 2x MSAA. I was looking at getting a 1070 or 1080 instead to just have a single card but I noticed the prices are gone through the roof at the minute. If I had to pick between a 1070 TI or 1080 I'd prefer the 1080 though if I could find a good deal I'd take the 1070 TI.

I have a 7700k and 16gb of DDR4 3000mhz. I have an Arctic freezer 240mm AIO and the radiator is front mounted. The fans on the top and back of my case seem to be low CFM from what I can see so I'd like something better also. The only reason I'm keeping them is because they have LEDs.

Do you think I should just wait it out with the GPU for now and even see how much the VEGA 56 is when it's released? I'd prefer Nvidia but obviously if I got a good price I wouldn't mind. Seems like the current AMD cards are overpriced too considering they fall behind Nvidia.

Also are there any decent fans with LEDs that move a decent amount of air and don't have loud whirring motors?

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

So you want to replace 2 relatively new cards just because of the noise? I'd personally invest some much smaller money in sound proofing / heat dissipation improvements over a new card. Especially when as you say you're getting decent performance and the current market prices are fairly hefty. Plus, any improvements you make to keep those 2 970s cooler + quieter will still be useful whenever you upgrade your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭steo2k9

So you want to replace 2 relatively new cards just because of the noise? I'd personally invest some much smaller money in sound proofing / heat dissipation improvements over a new card. Especially when as you say you're getting decent performance and the current market prices are fairly hefty. Plus, any improvements you make to keep those 2 970s cooler + quieter will still be useful whenever you upgrade your card.

Yeah I think I'll leave it for now and wait til next year then get a 1070 or 1080 second hand if they're relatively cheap and sell on the 970s. For now I need a decent set of exhaust fans.

I don't mind it even being loud it's the way the GPU reaches 80C. I'll run something and check the temps but I definitely need to get better fans. I only have these fans in for the LEDs but I do have 2 other fans I can use for now and maybe just buy an LED strip if that can be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not a bad idea, because SLI is also patchy and often broken, you still only have 3.5Gb of vram and dual cards will generate a lot more noise/heat.

Sell both for €360-400, pick up a GTX1070Ti for €460 and you're A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

pick up a GTX1070Ti for €460 and you're A1.

Where you going to get a 1070 for 460? They sell at the minimum right now around 600 and you could be waiting months to get one.

What the ****...when did it get THAT bad? Just last week I was looking at GTX1070's for £409 and 1070Ti's for £419!

• Advertisement

What the ****...when did it get THAT bad? Just last week I was looking at GTX1070's for £409 and 1070Ti's for £419!

I'd say it was a site that hadn't seen stock for a year. Right now the 1080ti for 1k looks like a steal.

Jesus. I knew it was bad but I had no idea prices had gotten that crazy. I have a 1080Ti sitting in a press un-used at the moment. A 1080 and R9 390 as well. Perhaps time to sell up...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Is the bitcoin mining craze elevating the prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭steo2k9

They're ruining PC gaming for everyone here just to kill all the GPUs mining. I'm glad that I got the one x now so at least I have that. A GPU is more expensive than the whole console with a game now. It's mental like it means anyone that wants to build a PC will have to budget out and buy older second hand cards or a 1050 maybe is the best they can get.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Jesus. I knew it was bad but I had no idea prices had gotten that crazy. I have a 1080Ti sitting in a press un-used at the moment. A 1080 and R9 390 as well. Perhaps time to sell up...:eek:

Ive spent two weeks trying buy a new GPU its worse than crazy right now.

• Advertisement

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Is the bitcoin mining craze elevating the prices?

Altcoins. Bitcoin devolved into ASIC only mining a long time ago. Most altcoins need large amounts of memory(8gbs for Etherium atm I think) which was deliberate so ASIC's wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Altcoins. Bitcoin devolved into ASIC only mining a long time ago. Most altcoins need large amounts of memory(8gbs for Etherium atm I think) which was deliberate so ASIC's wouldn't work.

Bitcoin Gold (BTG) is also GPU focused while technically being a fork not an alt.

There are CPU hard coins too, but none are popular :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

I'm in the same boat as others GPU prices are bloody madness, Now im not saying I cant afford them I'm saying I refuse to buy at the over inflated prices. The prices of the 1060s and 1070s are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Great time for my GPU to start artifacting...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Price of 1060/1070 has indeed gone insane. But I can see 1080s on amazon.de for cheaper!?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

srsly78 wrote: »
    Price of 1060/1070 has indeed gone insane. But I can see 1080s on amazon.de for cheaper!?

Unless it's from Amazon / trusted 3rd party resellers (i.e. existing webshops), it's a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

L1 posited that maybe the GPU prices arent high due to GPU demand, but more to the supply of fab time being consumed by ASIC manufacture (TSMC 16nm is used for GPUs and ASICs).

https://qz.com/1183173/cryptocurrency-mining-is-now-so-big-its-showing-up-in-tsmcs-earnings/

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭-l-Z3k3-l-

You'll have to wait for the crypto craze to end to be honest.
    Its gone mental

1080Ti are going for mad money in the US at the moment. 1k +

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

What is the rrp of a 1080ti?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

-l-Z3k3-l- wrote: »
    You'll have to wait for the crypto craze to end to be honest.

Builders already already tend to fall prey to this mode of thinking just in relation to seasonal releases, adding a new restriction to buying like "wait for crypto craze to end" may not end the way you hope.

For anybody looking to build their best hope is a lash of 2nd hand GPUs flooding the market once the hot new thing is released OR Nvidia and AMD ramping up production to the point that demand is met.

Hoping for the crypto craze to die will take a huge clampdown by governments worldwide (not likely - regulation yes, eradication nope) but it's not vanishing as easily as gamers would wish - enterprise use is increasing, adoption is rising, VC and IPO funding mechanisms are being utterly disrupted & projects are advancing faster in the last year than they had in the previous 5 thanks to all the new eyes on code and extreme amounts of compute power across the networks.

Not a good time to be a gamer, but waiting for the craze to end is like waiting for any hot commodity to drop - there'll be a top at some point but the floor it drops to could be higher than 6 months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

BArra wrote: »
    What is the rrp of a 1080ti?

RRP of a FE 1080Ti from Nvidia is £679. Most UK sites hitting £999+ for the higher end cards now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

RRP of a FE 1080Ti from Nvidia is £679. Most UK sites hitting £999+ for the higher end cards now.

sheer greediness.
    I bought my 1080 for around the €500 last March mark and a new one now is about €750..that's just nuts.

Advertisement