Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wire question with pics

Options
  • 21-01-2018 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Can anyone explain to me what the following wires are generally used for the top two i have seen both types (A and B ) to sockets in my house.
    Are A and B interchangeable. I assume the C is just for lighting?
    Electrical wire pic below

https://imgur.com/gallery/wAZ5W

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Can anyone explain to me what the following wires are generally used for the top two i have seen both types (A and B ) to sockets in my house.
    Are A and B interchangeable. I assume the C is just for lighting?
    Electrical wire pic below

https://imgur.com/gallery/wAZ5W
    Link doesn’t work

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lostphrophet

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Link doesn’t work

https://i.imgur.com/a6i0dcU.jpg

Does the above link work if not Any other sites i can link a pic to apart from imgr 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

1.5s are for lighting generally speaking the first one looks like a 2.5 nymj used for sockets normally the last one is a 1.5 flex

salmocab wrote: »
    1.5s are for lighting generally speaking the first one looks like a 2.5 nymj used for sockets normally the last one is a 1.5 flex

Cheers the middle one has me confused as a sparks has three of my two gang plugs wired with this 1.5mm

Cheers the middle one has me confused as a sparks has three of my two gang plugs wired with this 1.5mm

The middle one? There’s 4 in that picture

• Advertisement

The middle one? There’s 4 in that picture

Sorry the last two wires side by side are grom the same roll i just noticed there was writing on a different section so included that to help identify😶 should have mentioned that

Sorry the last two wires side by side are grom the same roll i just noticed there was writing on a different section so included that to help identify😶 should have mentioned that

Ah sorry I see that now so you basically have 1 an nymj looks like a 2.5. 2 a 1.5 twin and earth and 3 a 1.5 flex. The 1.5 are generally for lighting and the 2.5 are generally for the sockets. It can be difficult to tell the difference between 1.5 and 2.5 on an existing installation. Are you sure the sockets are wired in 1.5?

Ah sorry I see that now so you basically have 1 an nymj looks like a 2.5. 2 a 1.5 twin and earth and 3 a 1.5 flex. The 1.5 are generally for lighting and the 2.5 are generally for the sockets. It can be difficult to tell the difference between 1.5 and 2.5 on an existing installation. Are you sure the sockets are wired in 1.5?
    The last sparks took a feed from original socket with this cable its a grey flattened cable to power a new socket.
    Appears to have 2 blue wires and a brown ? 🀀ðŸ™ðŸ˜¨ also he left one blue unwired

The last sparks took a feed from original socket with this cable its a grey flattened cable to power a new socket.
    Appears to have 2 blue wires and a brown ? 🀀ðŸ™ðŸ˜¨ also he left one blue unwired

The second blue is actually an earth he has just sleeved it in blue as he had no earth sleeving, I’d suspect that that’s the one not connected and that it’s probably popped out of the earth terminal. Are you actually having any trouble with something there or did you just stumble across this?
    Just to add that just because he used the flat grey cable (twin and earth) doesn’t mean it’s 1.5 that is also available in 2.5

The second blue is actually an earth he has just sleeved it in blue as he had no earth sleeving, I’d suspect that that’s the one not connected and that it’s probably popped out of the earth terminal. Are you actually having any trouble with something there or did you just stumble across this?
    Just to add that just because he used the flat grey cable (twin and earth) doesn’t mean it’s 1.5 that is also available in 2.5

Just stumbled across it as what he wired up was falling off wall so just looks unsafe. Maybe its 2.5m thanks for help ðŸ˜
    Socket works ok

• Advertisement

Put the socket back up with these screws and not red plugs and you’ll be ok in the long run

092097253162.jpg

**** before putting it up turn off all socket circuits and remake all cables if there’s slack, and not not connect damaged cooper. Ensure you reconnect loose earth

MrMac84 wrote: »
    **** before putting it up turn off all socket circuits and remake all cables if there’s slack, and not not connect damaged cooper. Ensure you reconnect loose earth
    Will do thanks all

Advertisement