Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Spotlights tripping fuse

Options
  • 21-01-2018 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

We have been living in ew house for just over 2 years. We have 6 x 7 Watt LED Kitchen spotlights. Yesterday one of the spotlights blew and trip the 'kitchen lights fuse' in the fuse box, when I tried to turn the switch back it went straight back down...... The other kitchen lights(counter lights & over counter light) are working fine....

Any idea on what is causing the spotlights to trip the switch?

Thanks a mill.

Tim.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

timc1 wrote: »
    Hi,

We have been living in ew house for just over 2 years. We have 6 x 7 Watt LED Kitchen spotlights. Yesterday one of the spotlights blew and trip the 'kitchen lights fuse' in the fuse box, when I tried to turn the switch back it went straight back down...... The other kitchen lights(counter lights & over counter light) are working fine....

Any idea on what is causing the spotlights to trip the switch?

Thanks a mill.

Tim.

Have you removed the bulb before resetting the mcb?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

This happened in my bathroom when we had a leak directly above the socket. Is this a possibility given all the recent bad weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭timc1

Havent reset the bulb as we need to source one, apparently 7 watt LCD is powerful..woodies dont have them....will try once bulb has been replaced. Don't think it's a leak but will check.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You could just remove that bulb and run with the others while waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Take the bulb out and try to reset the mcb then worry about replacing it

• Advertisement

Have reset the mcb with bulb out and tried to reset, the circuit breaks again once lights are switched on.....maybe time for an Electrician to look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

timc1 wrote: »
    Have reset the mcb with bulb out and tried to reset, the circuit breaks again once lights are switched on.....maybe time for an Electrician to look at it.

Yup! Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’d remove all bulbs and see if the circuit stays on.

If it does I’d start reintroduce one bulb at a time tonsee if another bulb is tripping the mcb, that would help id a shorted bulb, replacing this would be the solution.

If the mcb tripod with all bulbs removed it’s definitely time for an electrician.

Thanks Brian, this worked! Much appreciated.

Advertisement