Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fit Bit

Options
  • 21-01-2018 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

A family member bought a fitbit for approx €185 about 14 months ago... A problem with the strap was noticed before Xmas and we returned to Argos.. Apparently its was a year and a week after purchase... Because it was over a year they wouldnt deal with it and gave a number for fit bit uk to contact them... My mother didnt want me to ‘cause a scene’, but as far as i was aware the issue was between us (the purchaser) and argos (the seller), not the manufacturer... Needless to say the strap has now broke and is less than 14 months old... We have our reciept and i would like to deal with this in the quickest possible way... I dont think its up to me to be ringing uk numbers..:

Anyone have any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Yes. Contact fitbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Most of the time you will get more joy direct from the manufacturer as they like to protect their brand .. especially if it is a premium brand.

However as you stated it should be up to the seller to sort this out.

The seller has refused to sort it out so as you don’t want the hassle of making a call to the UK your only option is the small claims court .. pay the €25 and make a claim and hopefully you get the result you want.

Just make sure the damage hasn’t been caused by mistreatment and you should get some form of restitution .. probably a judgement for the cost of the device less what the judge would consider reasonable 14 months of usage.

Personally I’d be getting on to fit bit myself .. by then again I don’t have an issue calling UK numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

A 5 sec search on fitbit says the following

LIMITED PRODUCT WARRANTY

Fitbit warrants to the original purchaser that your Fitbit-branded device and Fitbit-branded device accessories (collectively, the "Product") shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase, except that if you reside in the European Economic Area (EEA) and you purchased your Fitbit product in the EEA, the warranty period is two (2) years from the date of purchase (the "Warranty Period").

You could fudge around trying everything else or take the easy root and contact them direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My brother and sister have had multiple Fitbits replaced due to strap issues. Every time they have contacted Fitbit directly, sent a pic of the damaged strap and they have gotten a replacement no problem. You could try and fight Argos on this because technically it’s their responsibility or you could make like easy for yourself and contact Fitbit directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Email FItbit directly OP. Send a picture of the damaged strap and a copy of the Argos receipt. You will have a new strap very shortly. No need to ring anyone or head back to Argos for another argument or a Small Claims Court case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

With some of the older fitbits, the strap is integrated - we complained to direct to the manufacturer and they replaced with a newer model as they had dropped the old ones for this very reason

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Fitbit have a live chat service that's very handy. Same thing happened my husband and they just sent him out a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

As everyone else has said there's no need to argue with argos or call UK numbers, fitbit have great customer service just email, tweet or contact them on their live chat service with photos and they will sort it out straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

Go for the EU legislation - Free of charge, 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) for all goods

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

amerden wrote: »
    Go for the EU legislation - Free of charge, 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) for all goods

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

This legislation was not enacted in Ireland as our consumer laws were deemed to offer stronger protection.

OP, legally your contract is with Argos and they should not be fobbing you off. However, Fitbit is one of the few manufacturers that are very good to deal with and from whom you’ll get better service than the retailer. I’d recommend following the advice from multiple posters above and contacting Fitbit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Happened to be passing by Argos popped in armed with my two year warranty booklet... Met a pleasent woman at the counter... Explained the damage and was just going to say about the warranty and she cut me off by saying no problem... They didnt have the exact model instick but had the newer version which was €5.50 dearer... Paid the difference and was out again in five minutes....

Thanks for the replies..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Email fit. There CS is unreal. They will just replace the device

Advertisement