Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marco Silva gone from Watford

• 21-01-2018 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭

Club saying the unwelcome approach by a rival club distracted Silva and the team.

Watford are a mental club.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

SlickRic wrote: »
    Watford are mental.

Offered £15 million compo for his release only weeks ago and now they sacked him. Football is nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

10th in the league, 14 points off the 40 point safety mark and a club who are, lets face it, a Championship side, sack their manager? Madness.

At least he won't be short on offers, wonder if Big Sam is suddenly nervous at Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Can't say I'm overly surprised. The results were poor. Two wins in their last dozen games and one of those was in the Cup.

Still, I bet they wish they'd let Everton buy out his contract now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

There has to be more to this story otherwise that is just madness take the compo don't sack and cite the approach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Were on some slide, and considering how tight it is from 9th down, they werent taking chances.

Still madness mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Collie D wrote: »
    Can't say I'm overly surprised. The results were poor. Two wins in their last dozen games and one of those was in the Cup.

Still, I bet they wish they'd let Everton buy out his contract now.

Did they win only one game since the approach from Everton or something.

You would imagine there is stuff going on behind the scenes there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

They had a hugely exciting manager who far bigger sides are envious of, so they sack him??? They should have fixed whatever the situation was.... Unless there's something mental going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Smart choice. Silva made his bed and I doubt of any the players could take him seriously, expect when there are stories about some of them asking him to take them with him to Everton. Completely had his head turned and seems to have lost the confidence of his employers and the players. Believed his hype too readily, and that of the media. Found an article from two months ago claiming he was being lined up as Mourinho's successor at Utd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A bit daft but Watford have shown they can swap managers about without it being a huge hindrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Wonder if everyone fans are wishing the board waited a while.

Silva to Southampton if Pellegrino gets the boot?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's Watfords modus operandi to swap managers out constantly. And it seems to work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Effective and decisive as usual from Watford. The statement is scathing of him.
    Watford Football Club has parted company with Marco Silva.

This has been a difficult decision and one not taken lightly. The Club is convinced the appointment of Silva was the right one and had it not been for the unwarranted approach by a Premier League rival for his services we would have continued to prosper under his leadership.

The catalyst for this decision is that unwarranted approach, something which the Board believes has seen a significant deterioration in both focus and results to the point where the long-term future of Watford FC has been jeopardised.

For the security and success of the football club, the Board believes it has to make a change.

The Club will seek to make a swift appointment and there will be no further comment until that appointment has been made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Wonder if everyone fans are wishing the board waited a while.

Silva to Southampton if Pellegrino gets the boot?
    The second he'd have them performing well he'd be looking for an upgrade. I think Watford's statement will put a lot of owners off hiring him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ready for round five or six of the will he, won't he Martin O'Neill saga now.

Ready for round five or six of the will he, won't he Martin O'Neill saga now.

They're not gonna look within the Premier League circles. They do things different. Seems to work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

:eek:

No chance of "The Pozzo Empire" hiring a meat and potatoes manager like O'Neill.

Just checked that. Koeman sacked on 23rd of October and they've won three league games since then. Prior to that they had 15 points from first 9 games and since then they've 11 points from 15 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

They could have been only 3 points from the drop zone at the end of play today. I think he was taking them down if they hadn't sacked him as most sides had them figured out after a good start to the season.

Very tactically naive manager, he has a lot to learn at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

very little sympathy for Watford - what goes around - comes around - its ok for them to sack managers when they want - Regarding Silva , unsure if I'd want him at our club now, thought I'd swap him for what we have in a heart-beat

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    very little sympathy for Watford - what goes around - comes around - its ok for them to sack managers when they want - Regarding Silva , unsure if I'd want him at our club now, thought I'd swap him for what we have in a heart-beat

I'm sorry what? I have never gotten the Watford dislike on here. They do things differently but I don't think they've spent any time in the relegation zone in the last 3 years of the PL. Must be doing something right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think he had it coming, he should not have been trying to move mid season and they were doing well too.

A crazy business decision from Watford it’ll cost them more now than if they had let him go to Everton.

PhilipsR wrote: »
    I'm sorry what? I have never gotten the Watford dislike on here. They do things differently but I don't think they've spent any time in the relegation zone in the last 3 years of the PL. Must be doing something right.

i just said -its ok for them to sack managers when they want - as they do - also, they came up with a bunch of loanees, seamed a bit unfair on the majorityof other clubs who tried to do the things the more normal way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

PhilipsR wrote: »

They've been consistently in the top 10 biggest spenders in those last three years so rightly shouldn't be near the relagation zone. That's no achievement.

I think he had it coming, he should not have been trying to move mid season and they were doing well too.

A crazy business decision from Watford it’ll cost them more now than if they had let him go to Everton.

I get what you're saying but why is football different to any other job? I don't know what you do for a living but if a bigger company came along and offered you better pay, perks and career prospects I'd imagine you'd be tempted somewhat, no?

Not aimed at you specifically by the way, more a general ponderance I've had since the MON/Stoke saga. Although personally I didn't see the appeal of Stoke over his current job but that's way off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Their recent history with managers is quite checkered. The went through a lot of managers in the season they got promoted. Jokanovic got them up and then couldn't agree a new deal which was basically them not wanting him to stay. They went and got Kiki Sanchez Flores and he did an excellent job in their first season in the Premier league and got to the FA Cup semi-finals but rather than let him build on that they sacked him. Mazzari came next and he didn't do as well but did ok so they sacked him. And so we come to Silva who was doing very well and then things were not so good but they were definitely staying up imo and again if they held onto him maybe he would have been able to build on what he achieved this season.

They are playing a very risky game, all it takes is one manager to have a real bad run and they will be back down in the Championship. If they don't get the appointment of Silva's replacement right it could happen this year.

I'll have no sympathy for the owners if that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Collie D wrote: »
    I get what you're saying but why is football different to any other job? I don't know what you do for a living but if a bigger company came along and offered you better pay, perks and career prospects I'd imagine you'd be tempted somewhat, no?

Not aimed at you specifically by the way, more a general ponderance I've had since the MON/Stoke saga. Although personally I didn't see the appeal of Stoke over his current job but that's way off topic.

It works both ways, he could have rejected Everton from the start and still got relegated with Watford, or he could have done well and gotten an even bigger move at the end of the season.

It’s a risk he took and it looks to have backfired.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

As I understand it, Watford management are big into momentum and trends.

When they sacked Sanchez Flores it was because of the way the end of season went, they felt sticking with him and that trend continuing could see them at the bottom of the league in the new season. Hard to recover from a bad start.

Now they are going through another bad run, 11 losses in 16, they see other clubs picking up momentum, dragging then back down the league. This sacking is in line with their thinking in previous years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Javi Gracia favourite to replace him. Agreed a two year deal.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »

A very typical Pozzo appointment (just look through Spanish mid-table sides an you'll probably see the next one!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Apparently, he took his eye off the ball completely after the Everton carry on.

Obviously we don’t know what went on behind closed doors but if that’s true, you can hardly blame them for moving on.

pjohnson wrote: »

I thought that you meant Javi Garcia (ex City player) and felt very old for a minute that he was already in management.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Tbf to Silva he was probably smart to look to get out of Watford when he did; they always end up doing this. He did lose interest in the job as their form went to **** after he left but like a lot of teams in the bottom 14 teams they spent a lot of money but are still poor to very bad sides.
    Certainly not a job for anyone seeking long term work or a mutual agreement as Watford are quicker to seek an early break up as their managers will be.

A very typical Pozzo appointment (just look through Spanish mid-table sides an you'll probably see the next one!).

And the worst thing is Soccer Saturday will be unbearable as Merson rants about "why couldn't they find an English manager whose name I could pronounce"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Any manager that wants that job knows its just a season gig and the minute they have a bad spell they are out......its working for them and good managers keep taking the jobs so fair play to them. Crazy decision all the same. At some point the constant swapping of managers will bite them though.

Its a bit funny they got annoyed with an approach for their manager especially the way they treat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I wonder how much of the drop in performance was down to what is being spun about the Everton approach etc, and how much is about other teams copping on to Watford and how they play after their good start. They were an unknown at the start of the season, new coach, new players etc. Sometimes happens with 'new teams, eg promoted sides luke Huddersfield for example and Brighton this year. After a month or 2,other teams can analyse them and target strengths and weaknesses etc.
    Has there be ya bit of this with silva and Watford I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I wonder how much of the drop in performance was down to what is being spun about the Everton approach etc, and how much is about other teams copping on to Watford and how they play after their good start. They were an unknown at the start of the season, new coach, new players etc. Sometimes happens with 'new teams, eg promoted sides luke Huddersfield for example and Brighton this year. After a month or 2,other teams can analyse them and target strengths and weaknesses etc.
    Has there be ya bit of this with silva and Watford I wonder?

I'd say it's a definite factor. Silva's results at hull tailed off also. Teams do adapt. Which makes city's achievement all the more impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Turtwig wrote: »
    I'd say it's a definite factor. Silva's results at hull tailed off also. Teams do adapt. Which makes city's achievement all the more impressive.

Teams will also adapt to City. Takes longer when the team has that quality of player right through to the sub's bench, but it always happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

He was the Guardian's darling after some pundits did an ill thought out "why don't English coaches get a chance" criticism....

Clubs aching for the 'next Jose' will still probably hire him though

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »

Cheeky bid to unsettle him, maybe he'll force a mood in January!

that was lightning quick - Gracia already installed - 18 month contract , how long will that last ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Their 'model' is the bigger problem. Silva wanted out when it became clear he had little/no influence on transfer policy.

They will be relegated if they truly believe that another club was the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Goes to show what a joke modern football management is. You're the best thing since sliced bread in August and then you're a liability come January. I remember a few months back reading L'Equipe's rating of the top 40 managers in the world. It was from 2016 I think. What struck me was how so many of those coaches went from praise to being pilloried. Enrique, Ranieri, Ancelotti, etc.

Here's an interesting thought experiment: jot down 20 names on a piece of paper who you think are the best coaches in modern football. Then come back to it in 12 months and see how many of them are a) still in the job and b) still thought of so highly.

Here's an interesting thought experiment: jot down 20 names on a piece of paper who you think are the best coaches in modern football. Then come back to it in 12 months and see how many of them are a) still in the job and b) still thought of so highly.

Start a thread for that and let's have a bit of Nostradamus amusement

(just by the by we need more themed/topic threads - it's basically teams and comps and er that's it)

The second he'd have them performing well he'd be looking for an upgrade. I think Watford's statement will put a lot of owners off hiring him.

Nah unless you are racist like Malky Mackay, once your on the Merry go round your sorted.
    (Even Malky is currently Scotland interim manager)

He'll be back. Its a results driven game and chairmen get frantic and desperate this time of year.
    It seems Mauro's head was turned and the form declined rapidly considering the fine start they got off to. Everton had every right to approach him to be honest. Everton have to do what's right for them. If a well paid manager cant get his head right after an approach then it doesn't say alot about their character.

Advertisement