Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit

Options
  • 21-01-2018 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi, I texted an advertiser on daft about an apartment yesterday evening. They invited us to a viewing today. We are pretty sure we would like to rent the place. We have the deposit ready but unfortunately we couldn’t get a bank draft as the bank was obviously closed! We don’t use a cheque book. Has anyone ever paid a deposit in an alternative form? We were thinking of taking cash from the atm & transferring the rest via online banking/card reader.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Id say slow down a bit there. If they are a serious landlord being satisfied that you are a good tenant is more important than being paid quicky. They might even feel rushed if you turn up with a big wedge of cash. A sensible landlord shouldnt have a problem waiting till monday for you to get a draft.

There is also a risk of fraud involved with paying cash so id say go in view the property and if you like it explain to the landlord that you will have the draft for them on monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

That’s helpful, thanks! We have all the docs mailed to them (references etc) so hopefully that shows our intent rather than coming with a cheque! It’s a reputable agent thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Twice we paid a cash sum of €100/€200 to 'hold' an apartment before paying the remainder of the deposit. You could do this and ask for a receipt and then get the bank draft on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why not do it all with online banking?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Why not do it all with online banking?

Hi, that's a good question! I suppose we just wanted both bases covered i.e. cash/online in the event that one or the other wasn't acceptable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I actually wouldn’t trust a landlord or agent that took cash deposits. I would want to do it all by transfer or other traceable method. If they like you and feel you are the right tenant, then they will wait for a bank transfer or bank draft on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

Anytime I've paid a deposit I've just done it all through online banking. Never been a problem. At least all parties involved have a record of it then

Advertisement