Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on blood tests for panic attack

Options
  • 21-01-2018 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can give some advice on this.

I recently had a panic attack and was brought to Hospital, they took three individual blood samples from me. I am now worried that THC might have been found in my blood, is this possible or would they have even been looking for that?

I didn't sign any consent forms etc, so am I being paranoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From West forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

If they are it will be to make an accurate diagnosis. They won't care about it in a judicial context, if that's what you're worried about.

Also you need to stop smoking cannabis if you're having panic attacks. It will make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Unless you told the doctor that you took cannabis they wouldn't request the test for it.

Toxicology testing isn't done in routine labs. It would take a couple of days for the results to come back.

On your medical file probably. It won't go to the guards or your employer or anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I doubt they even ordered a toxicology test.

There wouldn't be a record of it.

You entitled to get copies of your medical files, though it's not worth the hassle for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I looked in my medical file once. There was a small receipt like paper with names of known drugs.

It was something like this

Heroin nil
    Cannabis nil
    Etc etc

I don’t do drugs so of course I passed it.

I’d imagine the HSE doesn’t give a f**k if you tested positive for it. Testing was just standard procedure and it came back fine.

What should’ve have happened next is a letter to your gp asking for a referral to mental health services to treat your anxiety/panic attacks and maybe a weeks prescription of benzodiazepines type drug in the short term whilst waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

What should’ve have happened next is a letter to your gp asking for a referral to mental health services to treat your anxiety/panic attacks and maybe a weeks prescription of benzodiazepines type drug in the short term whilst waiting.

By all mean approach your GP but don’t go in with a preconception about what will result.

Vorsprung wrote: »
    By all mean approach your GP but don’t go in with a preconception about what will result.
    Don't go in asking for benzos anyway or they might start taking note.

They still won't tell the guards though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

well I am just going to hope there will be no record of it, it's to do with an accident, me smoking didn't set off the panic attack because it was a week or even over a week before an accident I had. The panic attack was stress related, just hope nothing will show up when people request the file on my behalf.

Even if there was a drug test done, which isn’t likely, your records could only be released to a third party with your expressed written consent,which won’t happen.

I don’t think you’ve anything to be concerned about here, but it’s worth addressing your underlying anxiety with your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Johnman2018

Thanks Vorsprung, I'm probably fretting over nothing. Ya I've taken the right steps in dealing with that. Thanks again for the responses :)

Advertisement