Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

20Cent wrote: »
    Insightful video.
    Interesting the problems trans people face which most people would never think about.
    Thanks for sharing.

Problems? :D
    People have been getting any kind of haircut since forever. People have been wearing what they want for decades. The angst is so neurotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Just identify as a sheep and queue up at the shearing contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Gynoid wrote: »
    Problems? :D
    People have been getting any kind of haircut since forever. People have been wearing what they want for decades. The angst is so neurotic.

Even simple things like going for a piss and getting a haircut are difficult.
    A more understanding welcoming society is desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Even simple things like going for a piss and getting a haircut are difficult.
    A more understanding welcoming society is desirable.

I don't get the haircut problem. Depending on what kind of hair you want, go to a salon or a barber. Does it matter what gender you are?

I don't get the haircut problem. Depending on what kind of hair you want, go to a salon or a barber. Does it matter what gender you are?

Yes, some places only cut mens or womens hair so if your neither where to go?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Interesting choice of words..do you think transgenderism is superficial?

I think your understanding of Orwell is superficial.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

You mean if you are literally neither a man or a woman?

You mean if you are literally neither a man or a woman?

Yes such people exist.
    Is this news to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I don't really think that's true. Sure look at the likes of Van Halen back in the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

this level of navel-gazing and self obsession must be exhausting. being that unique and special must take up most of ones day.

These people are going to depend on their parents for their entire life....

• Advertisement

I don't really think that's true. Sure look at the likes of Van Halen back in the day :D

A lot of barbers won't cut women's hair and salons won't cut men's.
    It's true, nothing to do with hair length.

Yes such people exist.
    Is this news to you?

Yes actually, I thought non binary meant one who does not feel like being compelled by the gender expectations of a society so they are a little of both, masculine and feminine, or more of one or the other, but not compelled by either expression. But literally neither a man or a woman, no, I did not know people thought they could transcend the human condition.

Brian? wrote: »
    I think your understanding of Orwell is superficial.

I wonder do pigs have to deal with gender issues?

Yes actually, I thought non binary meant one who does not feel like being compelled by the gender expectations of a society so they are a little of both, masculine and feminine, or more of one or the other, but not compelled by either expression. But literally neither a man or a woman, no, I did not know people thought they could transcend the human condition.

The person in that video could pass as a guy or a girl I think.

So going into a bathroom must be tough not knowing the reaction from someone in there. Imagine going for a haircut and being asked if you are male or female!!

Just cut the hair and don't ask would be best option.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I wonder do pigs have to deal with gender issues?

I see it’s even more superficial than I suspected.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

These people are going to depend on their parents for their entire life....

Honestly, what were people like this doing during darker times when life was a long grinding struggle for mere survival? When people had more to worry about than the "difficulty" of getting a haircut?

Brian? wrote: »
    I see it’s even more superficial than I suspected.

They were probably trans species at the end..

Comparing trans people to sheep and pigs.
    Well done folks showing yourselves up there.

Wonder where this bigotry come from?
    Not licked off stones.
    Influential people like Peterson have a responsibility.

So going into a bathroom must be tough not knowing the reaction from someone in there. Imagine going for a haircut and being asked if you are male or female!!

But there have been loads of Unisex hair dressers since as long back as I remember.
    And Jeepers if sh1t is that real cut your own fricking hair, or get a friend to do it, it is not that hard. She looks like she just buzz cuts the sides. Trim the curls up top. I dunno man, as students we used to do our own haircuts and dyes, my young adult kids often do their own hair still, it is fun, I have been once to a hair salon since my confirmation hairdo, which was a bloody long time ago. Why emote so morosely over something so banal? That level of angst and whining in the video is just not good for the character. And it is on the BBC. Fexake. I saw another video link just below it on Twitter, which I did not watch, of an Indonesian maid who was publicly beheaded in Saudi Arabia today because she killed her employer as he raped her. I mean ferfuxake a hair cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

A lot of barbers won't cut women's hair and salons won't cut men's.
    It's true, nothing to do with hair length.

Here’s an idea. Find a place that will cut your hair and stop whinging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,753 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s not the best option because people who work in barbers and salons, their training is different for both, because men’s and women’s hair is different and they are trained to cut different styles. I would expect that if I were to present as androgynous that I would be asked whether I am male or female, because I know that barbers and salon staff are trained differently.

They could of course just “cut the fcuking hair”, and make a complete balls of it, but who really wants that? Barbers and salons don’t, because they have a reputation to maintain, and someone complaining that they didn’t get what they expected is generally bad for their business. That individual should count themselves lucky that they encounter people who give a shìt and treat them like a person, and not just a practice mannequin.

Here’s an idea. Find a place that will cut your hair and stop whinging.

I think that most people will find that if they walk into a hair cutting establishment with money in their pocket, they'll walk out with a haircut.

Most stylists/barbers don't give a toss what you identify as. They just want to cut your hair and get paid.

I think that most people will find that if they walk into a hair cutting establishment with money in their pocket, they'll walk out with a haircut.

Most stylists/barbers don't give a toss what you identify as. They just want to cut your hair and get paid.

Not true.
    Many have barbers and salons have agreements with each other to stick to one gender. It's pretty common. Most people probably don't even know this because it doesn't effect them. Small things get more complicated when one doesn't conform to one or the other. The point of the video.

But there have been loads of Unisex hair dressers since as long back as I remember.
    And Jeepers if sh1t is that real cut your own fricking hair, or get a friend to do it, it is not that hard. She looks like she just buzz cuts the sides. Trim the curls up top. I dunno man, as students we used to do our own haircuts and dyes, my young adult kids often do their own hair still, it is fun, I have been once to a hair salon since my confirmation hairdo, which was a bloody long time ago. Why emote so morosely over something so banal? That level of angst and whining in the video is just not good for the character. And it is on the BBC. Fexake. I saw another video link just below it on Twitter, which I did not watch, of an Indonesian maid who was publicly beheaded in Saudi Arabia today because she killed her employer as he raped her. I mean ferfuxake a hair cut!

If something so simple becomes complicated and stressful you wonder what other issues they deal with. That's the point of the video seems to have gone over most peoples heads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Talking about lunatics, Dawn Butler, front bench UK Labour spokeswoman, today says babies are born without a sex.

https://twitter.com/JammersMinde/status/1229439480064610308?s=19

I listened to her talk and that is not the quote that she said. There was plenty of things to disagree with her about but should you not at least get her quote right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Lookit, can we all just agree that in 2020 times are really, really tough :(

https://twitter.com/bbcthesocial/status/1224664146257620994?s=19

I just find that so hard to relate to. I try to but I can’t.

I mean that person said that the perfumed femininity of salons makes them uncomfortable. Well, lots of women aren’t really into it either but they just get on with it because it’s so inoffensive.

On the difference pricings, aren’t women’s haircuts generally more complicated? I think that learning to be a hairdresser takes longer than barber training.

Not true.
    Many have barbers and salons have agreements with each other to stick to one gender. It's pretty common.

As someone else has already noted, the vast majority of hair salons these days are unisex. It's not the 1950s anymore. This person should have no issue finding an establishment that will serve them — who did their existing haircut, for instance?

If something so simple becomes complicated and stressful you wonder what other issues they deal with.

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who create problems and those who find solutions. We could do with fewer of the former and more of the latter.

If something so simple becomes complicated and stressful you wonder what other issues they deal with. That's the point of the video seems to have gone over most peoples heads here.

If something so simple becomes so stressful I would look to the level of neurosis in the individual.
    People have been getting unisex haircuts for decades. People have been publicly non conforming appearance and behaviour wise for a very long time. Look at Luke Ming Flanagans election posters in the 1990s. Look at the New Romantic movement from rhe 70s on, thats 50 years ago for goodness sake. In the 80s in UCD there was a lovely chap who never wore anything else except his long velvet cloak, tights and lipstick. It is not a cause for any angst to get a gender non conforming hair cut. Or to be non conforming in any other way. That person's greatest problem is themselves.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    I listened to her talk and that is not the quote that she said. There was plenty of things to disagree with her about but should you not at least get her quote right?

They said what I reported.

Advertisement