Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 38 Premeditated Joke

Has this really got anything to do with the actual C4 interview anymore? Perhaps the thread should be re-labeled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Hmmm, kind of random but I'm getting pro trans posts on the front page of reddit after posting on this thread :P

Curious if anybody else gets them if they scroll through the front page. Probably just a coincidence, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Hmmm, kind of random but I'm getting pro trans posts on the front page of reddit after posting on this thread :P

Curious if anybody else gets them if they scroll through the front page. Probably just a coincidence, but you never know.

Reddit feed is based on what you read and are subscribed to in reddit alone, so eh it's on you buddy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Oh right. I just said biological male because I thought that was clearer. I'll switch to saying trans woman for m2f trans so. I guess I'm like one of those old people who'd describe black people as negroes.

Apparently it's rude to talk about whether they have a penis or not too. That's fair enough I suppose but it means my idea of segregating according to penis instead of gender falls flat.

I think political correctness needs to be secondary to physical safety though. It seems clear that specifically in the context of prisons, a lot of people pretend to identify as trans for their own benefit and this places female prisoners at risk. I haven't seen any evidence of the phenomenon outside of prisoners though.

Honestly I'm seriously freaked out by the whole prepubescent hormone thing. Yet if you buy into the notion of trans then it makes sense. So I find myself wondering - do I really buy into the whole notion of trans?

• Advertisement

Nah **** that the prepubescent thing is just not ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Reddit feed is based on what you read and are subscribed to in reddit alone, so eh it's on you buddy :D

Maybe, but they were posts from non lgbtq forums (funny, etc) and I never saw them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Maybe, but they were posts from non lgbtq forums (funny, etc) and I never saw them before.

Just those specific posts getting traction in those subreddits then. Put it down to coincidence.

*X-Files music*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Honestly I'm seriously freaked out by the whole prepubescent hormone thing. Yet if you buy into the notion of trans then it makes sense. So I find myself wondering - do I really buy into the whole notion of trans?
    Nah **** that the prepubescent thing is just not ok.

Exactly. I genuinely don’t think anyone actually has any issue with anyone else simply on the basis that they are transgender (it has far more to do with some ‘advocates’ attitudes towards other people that frankly stink to high heaven, but that’s not peculiar to people who are transgender). I think people are opposed to the whole ideology of transgenderism and the social and political ramifications of promoting that ideology.

For me personally I couldn’t give a fiddlers about sports or who’s in the stall next to me in the bathroom. I think those are just red herrings that old farts are pissed about because they like things ‘just so’. It’s when I read articles such as this one documenting outcomes in more ‘progressive’ (I use that term loosely) societies such as Sweden, and the backlash against the idea of promoting this idea among children (along with some of their other funky notions about gender and sex), which is having more of an effect on young girls self-image, than it is young boys, and what that means for upcoming generations of society -

The immediate trigger for Von Sivers’s themed week is a report from Sweden’s Board of Health and Welfare which confirmed a 1,500% rise between 2008 and 2018 in gender dysphoria diagnoses among 13- to 17-year-olds born as girls.

But it also reflects a rapid change in public opinion. Just a year ago, there seemed few official obstacles left in the way of young people who wanted gender reassignment treatment.

In the autumn of 2018, the Social Democrat-led government, under pressure from the gay, lesbian and transgender group RFSL, proposed a new law which would reduce the minimum age for sex reassignment medical care from 18 to 15, remove all need for parental consent, and allow children as young as 12 to change their legal gender.

Then in March last year, the backlash started. Christopher Gillberg, a psychiatrist at Gothenburg’s Sahlgrenska Academy, wrote an article in the Svenska Dagbladet newspaper warning that hormone treatment and surgery on children was “a big experiment” which risked becoming one of the country’s worst medical scandals.

Teenage transgender row splits Sweden as dysphoria diagnoses soar by 1,500%

Their experiences in Swedish society are being reflected in other societies in which have seen an exponential growth in the numbers of young girls opting to identify out of their gender and identify as something else -

Penny Mordaunt, the Minister for Women and Equalities, wants to understand the reasons behind a 4,400 per cent increase in girls being referred for transitioning treatment in the past decade.

Minister orders inquiry into 4,000 per cent rise in children wanting to change sex

Now, more than ever, there has been an influx of young girls appearing in gender clinics, claiming to be transgender. For many, the teenage years are incredibly difficult. Adolescence is a time of vulnerability, uncertainty, and experimentation – especially when it comes to one’s sense of self and sexuality.

Teenage Girls And Gender Clinics: Is Transgender Trendy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

All those articles use percentages instead of numbers to hype up the outrage.
    Of course a service that wasn't available before will have an increase in referrals!

One says 4,000% increase in referrals but the headline says wanting to change sex.

The last article is the most ridiculous.
    Being trans is trendy and you girls will have sex changes to avoid being bullied.
    FFS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

"Be kinder to people - unless it's Jordan Peterson... then it's open season"

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/be-kinder-to-people-unless-its-jordan-peterson-then-its-open-season-38975704.html

The hypocrisy of those who are all about "kindness" and "compassion" until it's someone who thinks differently from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/be-kinder-to-people-unless-its-jordan-peterson-then-its-open-season-38975704.html

The hypocrisy of those who are all about "kindness" and "compassion" until it's someone who thinks differently from them.

Well, on this very thread, somebody who doesn’t like him still wished him well and was questioned about it. Apparently that wasn’t satisfactory either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Well, on this very thread, somebody who doesn’t like him still wished him well and was questioned about it. Apparently that wasn’t satisfactory either.

I haven't seen that post, but would happily praise anyone who can rise above ideological differences to wish someone well at a time of great personal difficulty.

That said, many of those on Twitter who preach tolerance and compassion are delighting in Peterson's struggles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I haven't seen that post, but would happily praise anyone who can rise above ideological differences to wish someone well at a time of great personal difficulty.

That said, many of those on Twitter who preach tolerance and compassion are delighting in Peterson's struggles.

You've yet to praise anyone on this thread who disagrees with Peterson and wishes him well.

The worst abuse he's come in for on this thread is someone saying they don't wish him well. No one has wished him ill, yet we have these constant accusations.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I understand where you are coming from. But i just don't like the guy.

Kindness and respect involve being honest. I am just being honest.

He has made some poor life choices.

At the time i should prob be nicer so thanks for reminding me.

Article doesn't say who is being unkind to Peterson.
    Suppose its some tweets with 5 followers O'Doherty found.

He (mis)quoted one of my posts on boards once to attack Occupy not exactly a serious journalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/blackpool-woman-admits-having-more-17788403?fbclid=IwAR2GJJ--sy6auv8yu3HbSnMiQDD4TiUkadW-h5wCFJNTQRMvO4vQkYobmMQ
    A Blackpool woman has pleaded guilty to 'making' more than 80,000 indecent images of children over a 14-year period.

Julie Marshall, of Warbreck Drive, appeared at Blackpool Magistrates' Court last week charged with three counts of downloading images between June 2004 and April 2018.

At the time of Marshall's arrest, police found 677 category A photos - which is the most serious category, 465 category B photos and 79,958 category C photos.

Marshall, who also has the alias John Robert Marshall, will be sentenced at Preston Crown Court next month.

She has been granted unconditional bail.

From Wikipedia - Criminology
    Criminology (from Latin crīmen, "accusation" originally derived from the Ancient Greek verb "krino" "κρίνω", and Ancient Greek -λογία, -logy|-logia, from "logos" meaning: "word," "reason," or "plan") is the scientific study of the nature, extent, management, causes, control, consequences, and prevention of criminal behaviour, both on individual and social levels. Criminology is an interdisciplinary field in both the behavioural and social sciences, which draws primarily upon the research of sociologists, psychologists, philosophers, psychiatrists, biologists, social anthropologists, as well as scholars of law.

Criminology was my favourite module when I attended college. It is considered scientific - a way of modeling criminal patterns. The above quoted case was a man possessing child abuse images. The person is now registered in the statistics as a woman, and reported as such in the media. One of many crimes being misrepresented and feeding through into statistics that will skew scientific appraisal and research. Even if the numbers are small, and they are not as small as one might expect, the fact is that up to now female representation in rape and child abuse image possession is relatively low and any additions skew the figures considerably. That is NOT to say women do not sexually abuse and facilitate sexual abuse - they do, and it is an much under-researched area and wrongly so. Regardless, crime stats should not be skewed in an irrational manner such as illustrated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

20Cent wrote: »
    All those articles use percentages instead of numbers to hype up the outrage.
    Of course a service that wasn't available before will have an increase in referrals!

One says 4,000% increase in referrals but the headline says wanting to change sex.

The last article is the most ridiculous.
    Being trans is trendy and you girls will have sex changes to avoid being bullied.
    FFS

The percentages refer to the rate of increase in the numbers originally presenting at clinics, and the numbers presenting now. It’s not to hype up any outrage, it’s simply how increase rates are often expressed as a percentage of the original figure. For example in the articles it does say -

In 2009/10 a total of 40 girls were referred by doctors for gender treatment. By 2017/18 that number had soared to 1,806. Referrals for boys have risen from 57 to 713 in the same period.

So it’s not a question of whether or not the service wasn’t available before, the service has been available for decades, and in 2009/2010 a total of 40 girls were referred by doctors for gender treatment. In 2017/18 that figure had risen to 1,806. That level of an increase can’t simply be explained away by suggesting that the treatment wasn’t there before. We know that it was. What’s alarming is the increasing rate at which girls are presenting with gender identity issues.

That’s why I said I’m more concerned about that, than I am about a couple of weirdos on social media demanding that I respect their pronouns. If you read the articles you’ll see that these young girls are being coerced into irreversible lifelong hormone treatments and surgeries which under normal circumstances would be regarded as unethical. Yet the APA, one of the most influential organisations in the US are suggesting that clinicians and parents affirm their daughters self-diagnosis rather than question it to determine any other possible underlying factors.

The last article appears to have surprised you the most, and yet it gives reasons for it’s claims. It’s not as though unlike transgenderism advocates they’re pulling this stuff out of thin air. There are real life consequences of what is a damaging ideology to be presenting to children, presenting it as though it’s all positive when in reality it has quite the opposite effect. That’s why there is an increase in the numbers of children presenting with gender identity issues, and why the number of adults who regret their attempts to alleviate their identity issues by taking drastic measures such as hormone treatments and surgeries has also increased exponentially in the last decade alone.

The dramatic increase is precisely what is causing some scientists and clinicians to question the legitimacy of previous conventional wisdom which suggested gender affirmation procedures as a means to alleviate gender identity issues. That’s precisely how science and medicine works - the evidence is increasingly suggesting that mistakes were made in their approach to people with gender identity issues, and a new approach is required, one that doesn’t involve medicalisation and surgical intervention. It’s a realisation that’s causing quite a commotion among some people who have invested themselves in identity politics at the cost of other people’s lives -

Transmedicalism is broadly defined as the belief that being transgender is contingent upon experiencing gender dysphoria or undergoing medical treatment in transitioning. Transmedicalists, sometimes referred to as "truscum" by themselves or others, believe that individuals who identify as transgender but who do not experience gender dysphoria or undergo a medical transition—through methods such as sex reassignment surgery or hormone replacement therapy—are not genuinely transgender.

Transmedicalism

In all fairness Peterson did inspire my last business. Don't think I would have done it without his wise words or even known there was a market for selling benzos without him.

In all fairness Peterson did inspire my last business. Don't think I would have done it without his wise words or even known there was a market for selling benzos without him.

You come across as quite unpleasant..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You come across as quite unpleasant..

And, in this thread, that is saying something!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

And, in this thread, that is saying something!

The abuse aimed at trans people in this thread and he gets upset by a joke.

Says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Says it all.

Ah, see you’re just not “getting” it.

You can say terrible things about anyone else, anyone, but if you say anything negative about Peterson, or his preachings, you will bring down the wrath of his “acolytes”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

You can say terrible things about anyone else, anyone, but if you say anything negative about Peterson, or his preachings, you will bring down the wrath of his “acolytes”.
    True.

Says it all.

Except you didn't make a smiley face, or even remotely suggest that it was a joke until after others had posted. :rolleyes:

True.

Actually. Not true. Neither myself, One eyed Jack, Gynoid, ODB, or Permabear II are "fans" of Peterson. Wibbs definitely isn't either. Go through the thread with a balanced interest, and you'll find posts by all of us pointing out his limitations, in addition, to some positives about the guy, or rather some positives with what he represented.

And that's what you all seem to be missing. Balance. It's an all or nothing thing with you. Either you're with us or against us. And it's actually quite laughable just how often you reinforce that impression. You're not even trying to reach a middle ground with other posters, or to give any indication of being reasonable. Instead, posters are transphobic, right wing, or Peterson fans. I'm kinda curious what the next label or negative association will be. :P

Just to clarify..I knew it was a joke..but it wasn't funny..
    It wasn't clever or insightful..It made no point..
    It was just snide..It was just a sneering dig..

Except you didn't make a smiley face, or even remotely suggest that it was a joke until after others had posted. :rolleyes:

Actually. Not true. Neither myself, One eyed Jack, Gynoid, ODB, or Permabear II are "fans" of Peterson. Wibbs definitely isn't either. Go through the thread with a balanced interest, and you'll find posts by all of us pointing out his limitations, in addition, to some positives about the guy, or rather some positives with what he represented.

And that's what you all seem to be missing. Balance. It's an all or nothing thing with you. Either you're with us or against us. And it's actually quite laughable just how often you reinforce that impression. You're not even trying to reach a middle ground with other posters, or to give any indication of being reasonable. Instead, posters are transphobic, right wing, or Peterson fans. I'm kinda curious what the next label or negative association will be. :P

The rather most obvious point about people who entertain him, is that you are naive.

The man is obviously a compulsive liar. That fact has not dawned upon you yet.

Its not about what he says anymore but about his character.

In fairness though a lot of the left have shady characters too.

From telling people he only ate beef to telling people cured his daughter's arthritis with her diet (which is a medical impossibility by the way).

Diet cannot cure or influence autoimmune arthritis. This comes from prof john jackson a fellow of the royal college of pathologists. I attended his lectures and asked pointedly does diet influence autoimmune arthritus ( juvenile rheumatoid arthritis which is what Peterson's daugher has/ had)? He said absolutely not.

According to him it occurs much more in females because the female immune system is different to a male immune system. It has to go through pregnancy and be suppressed to avoid miscarriage. Its thus more sensitive to going out of whack.

It is impossible that what he has said about her diet curing her arthritis is true. Its very unlikely he believes its true either.

There is no miracle diet that can cure arthritis and stop your immune system attacking your joints. Yet people are constantly sold this but its not true.

People believe this man ate nothing but beef for years. I doubt that.

Half of people with juvenile arthritis grow out of it though.

I would guess that is what happened to Peterson's daughter. She was one of the 50% of people who grow out of it.

People believe this man ate nothing but beef for years. I doubt that.

It was hardly a year was it?

Like, he didn't take up the diet until well after that interview..

Noted:
    Will include instructions for the Peterson fans in future.

• Advertisement

It was hardly a year was it?

Like, he didn't take up the diet until well after that interview..

I read it was for a couple of years and it cured everything....and he felt great.

Some people were stupid enough to try it. :pac:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/lifestyle/2018/12/i-followed-jordan-petersons-all-beef-diet-and-it-ruined-my-life.html

Advertisement