Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

Yeah, but again..her following the diet for the week was just an angle to write that article to attack him..

Just to clarify..I knew it was a joke..but it wasn't funny..
    It wasn't clever or insightful..It made no point..
    It was just snide..It was just a sneering dig..

I didn't. I thought it was a nasty remark, and I still do. Addiction isn't a particularly funny topic for me..
    The rather most obvious point about people who entertain him, is that you are naive.

Love the sentence structure... about people who entertain him, but I'm naive now. Awesome. This should be fun. :rolleyes:
    The man is obviously a compulsive liar. That fact has not dawned upon you yet.

I'm seeing opinions, not facts. Has he been proven wrong on the majority of his statements? Err, a few? Had he lied? err. I don't know. Any kind of evidence
    that he has? Where's the evidence that he's a compulsive liar?
    Since it's a fact, and all.
    Its not about what he says anymore but about his character.

Ahh character assassination. Why isn't it about what he says anymore? Or what he said in the past?

His points on the Gender wage gap were excellent at the time that he said it. Has much changed since then? Nope.. so his points still stand..

You want to go after his character because you think it will make his more reasonable positions disappear. Sure, he's gone oddball with his psychology and moral crap.. and his dating advice? Good lord... however, his earlier speeches were pretty damn good.
    I would guess that is what happened to Peterson's daughter. She was one of the 50% of people who grow out of it.

Snipping the rest since I don't have a clue about it. It doesn't relate to anything I've written or said about him... although I would point out that modern western medicine doesn't know everything. It gets a lot wrong, and makes a crapton of assumptions.. I'm not defending JP, because I don't know or care about this thing you're referring to.

I didn't even know he had a daughter until the Russia thingy came about.

20Cent wrote: »
    Noted:
    Will include instructions for the Peterson fans in future.

Or for anyone who doesn't appreciate your sense of humor.

Oddly enough, I suspect you're the kind of person who, in advocating transgender rights, turn people against them. You're probably one of JP's most effective marketing sources... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yeah, but again..her following the diet for the week was just an angle to write that article to attack him..

He claims his diet of pure beef (not just one food group but one food) is healthy.

He also claims a diet can cure arthritis.

This from the Irish Nutrition and Dietetic institute.
    There is a lot of information online about how certain nutrients can help with arthritis. However, there is no strong evidence available that experimenting with your diet and excluding particular foods will improve your arthritis.

I didn't even know he had a daughter until the Russia thingy came about.

They have made a business together about nutrition. She goes around giving lectures.

Neither of them have any qualifications to do so.

Peterson has professionally endorsed her diet.

• Advertisement

They have made a business together about nutrition. She goes around giving lectures.

Neither of them have any qualifications to do so.

Peterson has professionally endorsed her diet.

If neither of them have any qualifications to do so... how could Peterson professionally endorse her diet?

Doesn't make sense to me. He's a shrink. Not a doctor or nutritionist. He would be recommending her diet to others... and it would be up to them to do their own research as to whether it was worth doing... yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

If neither of them have any qualifications to do so... how could Peterson professionally endorse her diet?

Doesn't make sense to me. He's a shrink. Not a doctor or nutritionist. He would be recommending her diet to others... and it would be up to them to do their own research as to whether it was worth doing... yes?
    He has huge influence over a lot of people.
    He literally gives them directives on how to live their lives.
    Most of it is trite self help stuff with a slightly spartan tone, like ‘tidy under your bed.’ It’s silly but it’s not going to do followers any harm.
    ‘Eat nothing except for beef and salt’ on the other hand is blatantly bad advice that will lead to malnutrition if followed religiously.
    He’s not forcing it down their necks. He might follow the diet. He might even genuinely think it’s a good idea. But it’s obviously a bad idea and he should know better if it’s not just cynical snake oil sales.

Where's the evidence that he's a compulsive liar?

He's an addict.

Of course somethings Peterson says are interesting valid and probably worth hearing.

A stopped clock is correct twice a day.

But the whole of him .....

Do you keep a stopped clock because its right twice a day? Or get rid of it?

Also why don't his supporters argue against the worst of what he says?

Why do they seem to agree with the most offensive things he says?

He might not be correct on dating ....but i would presume what he says is rather innocuous.

Lastly ...why do you then have an issue with us criticizing him?

THAT makes NO sense if what you are saying is in anyway true.

People who see flaws in someone rarely have an issue with others criticizing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

He's an addict.

Of course somethings Peterson says are interesting valid and probably worth hearing.

He might not be correct on dating ....but i would presume what he says is rather innocuous.

People who see flaws in someone rarely have an issue with others criticizing them.

So your only "evidence" that he's a compulsive liar is that he's addicted to prescription drugs? Not much of an argument that.

He went on the lecture circuit with her. He presented it in his blog. He gave several interviews using his conditionals.

She presents her diet as if its an academic essay. You can't deny what he is doing is unethical.

• Advertisement

He went on the lecture circuit with her. He presented it in his blog. He gave several interviews using his conditionals.

She presents her diet as if its an academic essay. You can't deny what he is doing is unethical.
    You could argue that it is merely stupid.

You could argue that it is merely stupid.

That would mean Peterson is merely stupid.

I doubt that.

Maybe his daughter is. The families of compulsive liars often have to be.

His name’s Jordan. How do you become a conservative heart throb with a flamboyant name like that I don’t know. Conservatives should name their sons after Kings of England or ten of the twelve apostles - period.

:)

This is something i don't agree with.

People are kind because its in their nature to be kind. People are grumpy because its their nature.

Its not a choice...its like the scorpion asking for a ride ..he'll sting because its his nature.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/be-kinder-to-people-unless-its-jordan-peterson-then-its-open-season-38975704.html

Peterson deserves kindness.

But he is not here right now ! :P

That would mean Peterson is merely stupid.

I doubt that.

Maybe his daughter is. The families of compulsive liars often have to be.

You don't know he's a compulsive liar.

You don't know he's a compulsive liar.
    I believe he is.

I believe he is.

Well than preface your posts as such. You write as if it's established fact. It's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

He claims his diet of pure beef (not just one food group but one food) is healthy.

I can tell you that on the mild spectrum diet absoluetly cna help athritis. If I go a few days without a proper amount of vegetables, my ankles startina cting up...im' 26 :(

People are kind because its in their nature to be kind. People are grumpy because its their nature.

Its not a choice...its like the scorpion asking for a ride ..he'll sting because its his nature.

But like..is that true?..didn't the Stanford prison experiments for instance show that people can turn pretty nasty pretty quick?.. I think this kind of gets to another reason so many on the 'left' tend to get so upset at the esteemed Mr. Peterson.. He reminded people of the fact that so much of their moral framework in which 'everyone loves each other and why can't we all get along' is based on a western Christian ethos..

He's an addict.

Not all addictions work the same way. For someone who likes to talk about facts, and suggests that you understand some medicine, you're throwing around some rather ignorant ideas. Many pill based addictions cause mood swings rather than attacking their ability to tell the truth or ability to think logically.

And there's actually no evidence to suggest that he's still an addict.

So, he's occasionally correct or... he's occasionally wrong. Yup.

It's a stupid analogy. Never understood why posters throw in analogies when they could just talk about the topic in question.

I dunno.. you could find a supporter of JP and ask them.

Because I rarely enjoy unbalanced and unreasonable criticism of anyone. I find people are moving away from actual behavior and moving towards assumptions/feelings.

Ahh well, I always knew I was rare. :D

Make solid criticisms and I won't have any issue, or I'll debate them. It's simple enough. I don't like character assassinations based on nothing substantial.

• Advertisement

I'm not... but I also think your claiming that he's professionally approving this diet is misleading, and seeking to push a particular viewpoint.

His words do have weight with certain people.. So what? These are also the people he's been telling for years, to "Think for yourselves!!!!"

Bloody hell. What's happened to free will, and the ability to do your own research. Do you really think his supporters are all so weak willed to follow his recommendations without qualm? It's possible, sure, morons seem to be multiplying quickly in the US.

It is unethical... Still, he's within his rights to do so, or he'd have been sued by now.

So I can't be grumpy, happy, kind, sympathetic, jealous, angry, lustful, depressed, etc all within, say, and hour? Of course, I can. I've had the full range of emotions within a relatively short period of time due to circumstances and my own inability to control my emotional state. It's rare for a single emotion to rule your mindset, even with emotional state training.

All or nothing. Black or white. Until it suits your viewpoint to suspend it for a small time. Utterly bizarre way to perceive the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Any time i've heard him speak about it, he says it's a horrible diet which he only tried of necessity but it seemed to work so he stuck at it. He also said outright that he was in no way any sort of expert of the science behind it, just that he tried it and it seemed to work for him.
    I can tell you that on the mild spectrum diet absoluetly cna help athritis. If I go a few days without a proper amount of vegetables, my ankles startina cting up...im' 26 :(

I used to have awful trouble with my joints for years, specifically my wrists, ankles, knees and elbows. I tried all manner of internet quackery without success until about 10 years ago when i tried apple cider vinegar and it improved drastically almost over night.

I'm not 100% but i've gone from being in pain most days to having a sore left knee once in a blue moon.

Maybe it's a coincidence, i have no idea - but i've recommended it to tons of people, based entirely on my own own experience. I "believe" it has helped me enormously and that's good enough for me. Scale is the only real difference between what i've done and what Jordan Peterson has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,225 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Maybe it's a coincidence, i have no idea - but i've recommended it to tons of people, based entirely on my own own experience. I "believe" it has helped me enormously and that's good enough for me. Scale is the only real difference between what i've done and what Jordan Peterson has done.

Scale isn’t the only difference. His daughter sells the diet and he promotes it for her. Of course he says all the legal disclaimers his lawyers told him to say to keep him safe. But the daughter sells the diet and she gives all the same disclaimers!

So unless you’re promoting the cider vinegar solution for your family to profit from, then scale really isn’t the only difference at all.

Well, I did some searches for this diet, and I couldn't find any advertising of JP promoting the product. There's the Joe Rogan’s podcast, but I couldn't find any obvious advertising with JP. A twitter post saying that he (JP) was on the diet, and another tweet suggesting that people follow a thread on how the diet has helped their family.

https://mikhailapeterson.com/lionclub

Not one photo of JP or video of him plugging the diet. Seems a bit strange considering he's supposedly actively promoting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Scale isn’t the only difference. His daughter sells the diet and he promotes it for her. Of course he says all the legal disclaimers his lawyers told him to say to keep him safe. But the daughter sells the diet and she gives all the same disclaimers!

So unless you’re promoting the cider vinegar solution for your family to profit from, then scale really isn’t the only difference at all.

I'm sorry but i'm just not seeing it?

It's her story, she's specifically telling you that it is just her story, not any sort of medical advice, he's agreeing with her and also warning the same - it's just a thing they believe has worked for them. What's the problem?

Do you not think if they really wanted to shill some shítty diet book, they'd make the diet a little bit more appealing to the masses, you can still eat biscuits but only on Wednesdays or some bollox like that?

Nobody wants to live on a fúcking diet like that!

Didn't the mods say to give the diet talk a rest anyway?..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

But like..is that true?..didn't the Stanford prison experiments for instance show that people can turn pretty nasty pretty quick?.. I think this kind of gets to another reason so many on the 'left' tend to get so upset at the esteemed Mr. Peterson.. He reminded people of the fact that so much of their moral framework in which 'everyone loves each other and why can't we all get along' is based on a western Christian ethos..

Jordan Peterson has done a great job of selling that idea, but it's completely untrue. Compassion and collaboration is hard wired into human DNA for millions of years. Collaboration is what allowed us to be the dominant species on the planet well before anyone invented the idea of monotheism, never mind the Christian flavour.

I also thing it's pretty funny call anything a "western Christian ethos" and meaning it positively. For about a thousand years or so, western Christians did horrific things in the name of Christianity.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Jordan Peterson has done a great job of selling that idea, but it's completely untrue. Compassion and collaboration is hard wired into human DNA for millions of years. Collaboration is what allowed us to be the dominant species on the planet well before anyone invented the idea of monotheism, never mind the Christian flavour.

I also thing it's pretty funny call anything a "western Christian ethos" and meaning it positively. For about a thousand years or so, western Christians did horrific things in the name of Christianity.

Sounds like I was right..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,225 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm sorry but i'm just not seeing it?

It's her story, she's specifically telling you that it is just her story, not any sort of medical advice, he's agreeing with her and also warning the same - it's just a thing they believe has worked for them. What's the problem?

Do you not think if they really wanted to shill some shítty diet book, they'd make the diet a little bit more appealing to the masses, you can still eat biscuits but only on Wednesdays or some bollox like that?

Nobody wants to live on a fúcking diet like that!

She sells "counselling" sessions in the diet so people who pay her money to hear about it through the blog, one to one sessions etc. What's not to see?

He promotes it for her, she sells it. They both give all the disclaimers to cover them legally. They have made a diet book, just not in book form. I don't know what you don't see. It's pretty clear to me.

Advertisement