Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

dammm she got wrecked. MALE POWER !!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

tritium wrote: »
    Mother of Jesus I couldn’t finish reading this. Sorry but most of the above reads like a pile of tripe.

Look I still half hope you may be trying to be straight with us so I’ll do the same for you. Your posting of walls of text isn’t symptomatic of a good arguement. Insulting people isn’t equivalent to winning an arguement.

As to why no one is previously picking up on the points you mention above, well I’d put that down to it being the first time you’ve actually stated many of them. You may feel that the wall of waffle you’ve posted previously says the same thing but it doesn’t, if anything it’s basically an evasive opinion piece. In spite of that a number of posters have attempted to engage with you and indeed challenge some of the assumptions you appear to be basing your rather dogmatic views on. Top tip: Most people would see this as opportunity to engage in debate rather than evasion and insult.

Yeah... I've made points that can't be engaged with in a meaningful way because apparently no one can recognize what my overall intention is here. There's not much of a chance that people who want to occupy strongly polarized positions on complex human reality also occupy untroubled social spaces themselves. The first step to stepping back, (if the need to be destructively polarized is not innate to someone's personality) is to become aware in plan format of the location you're in, relative to the other side, and the large group of people who aren't compelled to take up one side or other of the divide.

I'm also pretty aware that everything I'm saying appears to be an insult, but rest assured, if there was a nice, accepting way to provoke thought around a different axis, I would take it. It's the same story with neo-feminists, another willful faction who resist legitimate points on a completely unrealistic narcissistic basis. If you look into the psychology of narcissism, a defining feature is the need to polarize things into black and white or good and bad. This is not to say everyone's a narcissist, this is clearly nonsense. My contention, (and that of modern psychology) is that boom and bust affected some people in a particular way, a way that increases affective narcissism. That is, it's an affect within the presentation of a personality, not a structural part. This kind of thing is behind neo-feminist shameless truth-denial, and apparently part of the outlay here, and across the swathes of American teenagers on the likes of 4-chan and who love Peterson, who've grown up with the effects of strong neo-liberal social values wrecking their conception of the world via their parents, and maybe even their grandparents.

As Peterson is wholesale guiding people into neo-liberal strict meritocracy, all I can ultimately do is recommend working in America to give you a feel for what happens to people in such a system. To say it is an antithesis of how we value and relate to each other in Ireland is a massive understatement. The short version is this: the only people truly at peace and content in this country are psychopaths. There isn't much of a better way to say it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

I actually get it and I'm not that smart. I don't think it is a reflection of intellect as much as it is a constructive discourse in self awareness, which is probably why some people find it objectionable. Why be self aware when Jordan Peterson has already written a more comfortable dialogue for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Sand wrote: »
    I'd normally have a lot of time for the Guardian. Its clearly a paper with an agenda, similar to the Daily Mail, but I had credited it with being professional and honest in a way that the Daily Mail is not. At least outside the Comment is Free portion which is a mixture of a fact free zone and navel gazing blogging on the entirely trivial.

But there's a pattern emerging where its engaged in a series of hit pieces and pieces which are overall dishonest. Taking some factual evidence, and then placing it within a dishonest or misleading narrative so that the reader receives a false understanding of events. I saw this with the Damore/Google case, and we're seeing it again with the Peterson/C4 interview.

Its as if the emergence of 'fake news' from sites like Breitbart left two options to media like the Guardian: drive towards honest warts and all reporting, or fight fire with fire with narratives and reporting defined by the agenda of the paper and/or the writer. It seems that they are increasingly tending to the latter.

What is incorrect in the article though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,444 ✭✭✭tritium

Intothesea wrote: »
    Yeah... I've made points that can't be engaged with in a meaningful way because apparently no one can recognize what my overall intention is here.

The reaponsibility for that lies entirely with you. You’re success at communicating is down to your skill at communicating.....,
    There’s not much of a chance that people who want to occupy strongly polarized positions on complex human reality also occupy untroubled social spaces themselves. The first step to stepping back, (if the need to be destructively polarized is not innate to someone's personality) is to become aware in plan format of the location you're in, relative to the other side, and the large group of people who aren't compelled to take up one side or other of the divide.
    a good example of the previous point....

Notwithstanding that I suspect the simplified expression of the above would be common sense for most people on here who imho aren’t, with a few exceptions, on one side or the other of the divide to any extreme extent

I'm also pretty aware that everything I'm saying appears to be an insult, but rest assured, if there was a nice, accepting way to provoke thought around a different axis, I would take it. It's the same story with neo-feminists, another willful faction who resist legitimate points on a completely unrealistic narcissistic basis.

Maybe try it instead of assuming you have some level of righteous insight that everyone else remarkably lacks

If you look into the psychology of narcissism, a defining feature is the need to polarize things into black and white or good and bad.

curiously enough I’d say you’re actually guilty of this yourself throughout your contributions here

This is not to say everyone's a narcissist, this is clearly nonsense. My contention, (and that of modern psychology) is that boom and bust affected some people in a particular way, a way that increases affective narcissism. That is, it's an affect within the presentation of a personality, not a structural part. This kind of thing is behind neo-feminist shameless truth-denial, and apparently part of the outlay here, and across the swathes of American teenagers on the likes of 4-chan and who love Peterson, who've grown up with the effects of strong neo-liberal social values wrecking their conception of the world via their parents, and maybe even their grandparents.

Perhaps on aspect. However Peterson also represents an aspect of modern psychology

As Peterson is wholesale guiding people into neo-liberal strict meritocracy, all I can ultimately do is recommend working in America to give you a feel for what happens to people in such a system. To say it is an antithesis of how we value and relate to each other in Ireland is a massive understatement. The short version is this: the only people truly at peace and content in this country are psychopaths. There isn't much of a better way to say it :)

Except Peterson doesn’t appear to most people to actually be doing that, or at least not to the way and degree you imply. Seeking equality of opportunity is not the same as neo liberalism. Nor is it a particularly American view (from either side of the spectrum there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Sand

20Cent wrote: »
    What is incorrect in the article though?

Of the negative assertions made in the article, how many were supported by any evidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yeah... I've made points that can't be engaged with in a meaningful way because apparently no one can recognize what my overall intention is here.

No one want's to engage with you because you're poorly socialized, you're only concerned with soapboxing about your own hobbyhorses even though they're entirely tangential to topic

Peterson could probably help you :)

Banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The reaponsibility for that lies entirely with you. You’re success at communicating is down to your skill at communicating

It's true that Intothesea's writing is quite verbose and dense at times but it honestly isn't that difficult to follow, IMO.
    Bambi wrote: »
    No one want's to engage with you because you're poorly socialized...

What total crap.

The reaponsibility for that lies entirely with you. You’re success at communicating is down to your skill at communicating.....,

I've written in English, and explained my points many times. As well, if no one can understand what I'm getting at, why are they so resistant and yet offended?!

Notwithstanding that I suspect the simplified expression of the above would be common sense for most people on here who imho aren’t, with a few exceptions, on one side or the other of the divide to any extreme extent

How surprising that you would assert this. It's pretty obvious from the unending faux-dumb responses to my posts, and mass hostility once I inadvertently set the cat amongst the pidgeons, that there has been quite a cohort of Peterson followers with a similar deafness to reality on this thread.

Maybe try it instead of assuming you have some level of righteous insight that everyone else remarkably lacks

It's odd that you didn't notice the first 10 pages of posts I made doing exactly that, via putting up obvious and conflicting reality statements that a cohort not hell-bent on polarization would have made good on. After the apparent fit of narcissistic rage goes down, all I can do is report on why the interaction has been so abnormal, for the want of a less egotistically abrasive word.

curiously enough I’d say you’re actually guilty of this yourself throughout your contributions here

Uncuriously enough, you're pointing this back at me. The issue after that is that it is psychologically negative, or indicating negative psychology to be so positioned. After that, my intent is amelioration and a hope for such. I'm betting your reactionary version isn't quite the same.

Perhaps on aspect. However Peterson also represents an aspect of modern psychology

Only one of us is making cash from our assertions, and only one of us conceives of the world as being a system of righteous winners and contenptable losers. That sure isn't me.

Except Peterson doesn’t appear to most people to actually be doing that, or at least not to the way and degree you imply. Seeking equality of opportunity is not the same as neo liberalism. Nor is it a particularly American view (from either side of the spectrum there).

The IQ criteria, tuning peoples' heads to expect to fit into a strict meritocracy, talking up lack of argreeableness -- the guy is basically building living automatons to boldly go into the neo-liberal future. Living in America or making a comprehensive study of how neoliberal policies negatively affect social, psychological, and work culture arenas in America should help you to see the that what I'm saying here is blindingly obvious.

Bambi wrote: »

No one want's to engage with you because you're poorly socialized, you're only concerned with soapboxing about your own hobbyhorses even though they're entirely tangential to topic

Peterson could probably help you :)

It might be tangential to your polarized topic, but not to the topic that matters the most, which is the fate of people invested in this position, and the rest of society.

And this is why the rest of your effort is ignorable, it reflects a lack of perspective, or a lack of care for it.

As well, the only thing Peterson can help is disaffected young men prepare for neo-liberal self-sacrifice, and being functionally deaf and blind in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

storker wrote: »
    I don't think "Identity Politics" is about naming or defining of groups, it's more about judging individuals and actions on the basis of which group someone belongs to, so that no act or statement is good or bad in and of itself, but can only be judged based on the identity of the speaker or doer.

Which is exactly what people are doing about anyone on “the left”.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

The guardian have done a big hit piece on Jordan Peterson.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/07/how-dangerous-is-jordan-b-peterson-the-rightwing-professor-who-hit-a-hornets-nest

Calling him "right wing" - laughable.

A lot of us know what a parody the guardian has become, but unfortunately a lot of others respect it and think it's a very reliable newsource (as it is within certain topics)

This will add to people's misunderstanding of him - they think they hate him, based on all this false info. on him.

It's depressing.

A good example in the article is how there is an paragraph about how his supporters have harassed and threatened his critics but there is no mention at all of any abuse or harassment or threats that Peterson himself receives.

At one point they claim some of his fans are neo-Nazis but then in the next sentence describe Peterson as staunchly anti-authoritarian.

So we're to believe that he is both anti-authoritarian and immensely popular with fascists?

The article closes off with claiming his arguments are riddled with conspiracy theories and rude distortions but nothing in the article up to that point really shows the flaws and weaknesses in his arguments.

It states some of his arguments, sure, but the main focus of criticism of Peterson seems to be that some of his supporters might be bad people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

It might be tangential to your polarized topic, but not to the topic that matters the most, which is the fate of people invested in this position, and the rest of society.

And this is why the rest of your effort is ignorable, it reflects a lack of perspective, or a lack of care for it.

As well, the only thing Peterson can help is disaffected young men prepare for neo-liberal self-sacrifice, and being functionally deaf and blind in the meantime.

So what is the alternative?

You've got the alt-right (who are correct on an awful lot of things but culminate in vicious tribalism based mostly on the idea of race and my "people") on one hand, and the alt-left (who are also correct on an awful lot of things and which will also culminate in vicious tribalism based mostly on the idea of identity politics/being a minority/not being able to compete with other men) and everyone else floating around because it's time for pints and I've a job to go to.

And forget any floaty fùcking, let's be in the middle flowery look at the reasonable centrist Lovely Leo novelty sock wearing answer, cause that just translates into, without clear action, smug, self satisfied bum. When that's your answer, the left and right tend to fight it out and then you're just put in a camp. I think the left will win, but that's for another post.

I don't agree with Peterson on everything (like I said, I think what we're seeing has been building up for a long time, and there are are biological/spiritual reasons for that, it ain't just a bunch of postmodern french dickheads), but his avocation of the logos and the celebration of the individual (in the classic liberal sense, we're not talking Randian objectivism* here), is one of the better, sounder more practical setups that I've heard.

*I can go head to head with any of you lads on academic dry shìte writing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Of the negative assertions made in the article, how many were supported by any evidence?

It's an opinion piece not a peer reviewed study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

It would probably be easy to Godwin this discussion right about here, I'm not about to do but needless to say there is a very fine line between empowering some young vulnerable men and enabling irresponsible disaffected ones with dialogue that can be both constructive or destructive given the right conditions.

In the past when conditions deliberately silenced the voices of those who they perceived as being their moral and physical enemies, significant voices of reason which might otherwise have brought balance to the discussion were obliterated. Who wants to bear the responsibility of those consequences?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Saruhashi wrote: »

A good example in the article is how there is an paragraph about how his supporters have harassed and threatened his critics but there is no mention at all of any abuse or harassment or threats that Peterson himself receives.
    And the"evidence" cited by the guardian writer is that Peterson asked those doing it to stop - creating the impression that things were so bad that even a monster, worse than Hitler felt it was too extreme -and thus "proving" the attacks. When instead Peterson heard it second hand from C4/Newman, assumed they were telling the truth and did so as a courtesy. Dishonest and "bad-taste-leaving" writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

20Cent wrote: »

It's an opinion piece not a peer reviewed study.
    That which is asserted without evidence can (and should) be equally dismissed without evidence.

So what is the alternative?

You've got the alt-right (who are correct on an awful lot of things but culminate in vicious tribalism based mostly on the idea of race and my "people") on one hand, and the alt-left (who are also correct on an awful lot of things and which will also culminate in vicious tribalism based mostly on the idea of identity politics/being a minority/not being able to compete with other men) and everyone else floating around because it's time for pints and I've a job to go to.

I agree with this assessment, though I'd put floating contingent as more a vitally important 'earth' for the super-charged relative nonsense that goes on.

And forget any floaty fùcking, let's be in the middle flowery look at the reasonable centrist Lovely Leo novelty sock wearing answer, cause that just translates into, without clear action, smug, self satisfied bum. When that's your answer, the left and right tend to fight it out and then you're just put in a camp. I think the left will win, but that's for another post.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure that I was putting forward and appealing for constructive thinking and sketches of answers to the complex economic and social system as it appears in Ireland, and how it related to the neo-liberal yonder. In order to undertake such a consideration, it's necessary to accept the damage that neo-liberal policy can produce; it's also necessary to accept that co-complainants are similarly situated, and both have a legitimate core to their complaints, regardless of how ridiculously and illogically those complaints are formed and presented. There was no uptake of these ideas.

This is why it wasn't possible to open any discussion about 'what to do'.

I'm no economist nor a politician, but the best I can make of it, more or less, is:

That the electorate would have to force the government to tow an exceptionally well-researched and clever line between neo-liberal and social democratic concepts. The route to this is massively complicated by the damage the government has already wrecked on the normal people of Ireland. From what I can perceive now, the government is happy to continue down the neo-liberal path as dictated to them by the IMF. Realistically, there's no reason to do this.

When Ireland is finally under full glare of neo-liberal international investment, to maintain pole position against a host of developing and well-equipped countries (and particularly when Ireland tows the Euro tax line), unions will be mandated out of existence (happening already thanks to the general call for 'efficiency'), working conditions will likely exceed the un-livability of zero-hour contracts, and dependent people will take most of the brunt.

These downsides can be fleshed out by looking at America. Random blood testing by your employer, mandatory background checks on candidates, 2 weeks total holiday per year, intense competition that centers on fair and relevant and unfair and irrelevant details of your person. In short, when a nameless, faceless international band of big-money players are indirectly dictating conditions, those conditions reduce the worker to the status of living robot. I wish this was an overstatement.

Anyway, part of the answer then, relates to opposing apparent answers in the situation, like approaching efficiency by canning unions. The idea would be to preserve or rebuild key social democracy structures, and not go down the long slide to neo-liberalism, forever :) From what I can see, the feel-good all-rights-for-all government of Ireland would need to be coerced into formally agreeing this as an approach. Just on the basis that the house market is yet again being used to kindle the hot air of success -- at the expense of hardworking people who are daunted by the unapproachability of the whole set-up.

If you look into England's frustrations with the results of neo-liberal policy, there is plenty told of peoples' lives belonging to the businesses they work for, that the line is disturbed and blurred between private and public world. Surveying all of England's complaints is an excellent guide to the downfalls more likely to happen in Europe, so that's likely a good guide on how to formulate rules and regulations on exactly how much work-related and social negative effects Irish people will absorb in the name of cash.

In the end, any answers put up tend to take away from the perfect neo-liberal answer of all significant objects protecting workers and interfering with money transfer upwards obliterated. This underlines the unwinnable nature of neo-liberal servicing of a world economy -- you can't please all of the people all of the time, but you certainly have to. I think there has to be a national dialogue, including the government, about what the level of interaction with the world market will be, and what type of venturing-but-protective stance can be taken before Ireland gets blown up into the wind like an empty crisp packet again.

And a simple step, like opening up the possibility for a continuous debate on where the system is headed -- during the boom there wasn't much evidence of intellectual debate about the system. It was likely career suicide to risk such a heretical position. So, whatever it is about a small island with people prone to brainwashing each other suffering an apparent mass delusion -- I'd hope there can be a rising consciousness of what created this last time.

Anyway, hopefully people with brains for this type of topic will take it up post haste and in a way that gets the people of Ireland thinking about it, instead of waiting for a giant wave of phoenix wing to bring us back to 2006. :)

I don't agree with Peterson on everything (like I said, I think what we're seeing has been building up for a long time, and there are are biological/spiritual reasons for that, it ain't just a bunch of postmodern french dickheads), but his avocation of the logos and the celebration of the individual (in the classic liberal sense, we're not talking Randian objectivism* here), is one of the better, sounder more practical setups that I've heard.

I agree with this, and definitely understand the intense need that people have, I just wish someone with less apparently overtly political aims was supplying the necessary. Hopefully a suitable contender will appear soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Not sure if posted before but this is the latest JRE which discusses the interview with cathy.

If you want a detailed insight on Jordan - youtube "jre jordan peterson" and start at the lowest number - There is about 4 of them - bout 14hrs in total!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

ardinn wrote: »
    Not sure if posted before but this is the latest JRE which discusses the interview with cathy.

If you want a detailed insight on Jordan - youtube "jre jordan peterson" and start at the lowest number - There is about 4 of them - bout 14hrs in total!

His interviews with Sam Harris show him up to be a charlatan in parts. He is a bright man but some of the comparisons he makes and his use of mythology are ridiculous at times. His knowledge of microbiology and biology is also incorrect no matter how confident he sounds.

All that said I don't think he is a bad actor. The free speech stick is being over emphasised in a world that is crumbling around us as a result of climate change. He has latched on to right wing biases and is obsessed with things which are inconsequential. His latest rant on Fox and friends was about Daddy Daughter dances becoming less popular. He also wonders if men and women can work in the same workplace at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Mardy Bum wrote: »

His interviews with Sam Harris show him up to be a charlatan in parts. He is a bright man but some of the comparisons he makes and his use of mythology are ridiculous at times. His knowledge of microbiology and biology is also incorrect no matter how confident he sounds.

All that said I don't think he is a bad actor. The free speech stick is being over emphasised in a world that is crumbling around us as a result of climate change. He has latched on to right wing biases and is obsessed with things which are inconsequential. His latest rant on Fox and friends was about Daddy Daughter dances becoming less popular. He also wonders if men and women can work in the same workplace at all.
    So instead of just saying he is wrong, actually critique his arguments. If you are correct in your assessment then prove it, I'm sure many would love to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

@ intothesea He address some of your concerns in the second half of this interview. Its not a full explanation but it certainly gives an insight into his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭conorhal

Playboy wrote: »

@ intothesea He address some of your concerns in the second half of this interview. Its not a full explanation but it vertainly gives an insight into his position.

Most specifically at 53:20 onward the question the OP is most interested in to ask Peterson is asked by Brand and he gives his view on it (to which he can agree or disagree). It's an interesting interview on the whole though so I'd say to people to give it a all a watch, if for no other reason then considered debates about greater themes feel so rare these days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Joe Rogan stops just shy of felating guests he agrees with. His interview with Shapiro made me sick. Is this any better? Does he actually challenge Peterson in any way? If not, I doubt I’ll watch it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    The free speech stick is being over emphasised in a world that is crumbling around us as a result of climate change

WTF :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,534 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

JMNolan wrote: »

one of the dumbest comments i have ever read on boards

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭bnt

JMNolan wrote: »
    Likewise. I mean, we all know there are people in the world who are just wrong, and we might wish we didn't have to hear them, but we're not all going to agree on just who those people are.

Another example: scientist Charles Murray is due to speak at Stanford University next week. Murray was co-author of The Bell Curve, one of the most controversial books of recent times, since it says that intelligence is a good predictor of success, and in one chapter it describes statistical differences in intelligence between races. So a group wrote to the President of the university in an attempt to "de-platform" him, and published the letter here. This got a robust response from the Stanford Review, here, and so far it looks like the talk will go ahead on the 22nd.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Playboy wrote: »

@ intothesea He address some of your concerns in the second half of this interview. Its not a full explanation but it vertainly gives an insight into his position.
    Grand, but I wish that Brand fcukwit would shut the hell up and let others answer questions he poses.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭dog_pig

silverharp wrote: »
    one of the dumbest comments i have ever read on boards

So dumb that you can't offer anything whatsoever in rebuttal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

bnt wrote: »
    Likewise. I mean, we all know there are people in the world who are just wrong, and we might wish we didn't have to hear them, but we're not all going to agree on just who those people are.

Another example: scientist Charles Murray is due to speak at Stanford University next week. Murray was co-author of The Bell Curve, one of the most controversial books of recent times, since it says that intelligence is a good predictor of success, and in one chapter it describes statistical differences in intelligence between races. So a group wrote to the President of the university in an attempt to "de-platform" him, and published the letter here. This got a robust response from the Stanford Review, here, and so far it looks like the talk will go ahead on the 22nd.

Both are true.

IQ is one of the single darkest truths about life in my opinion, but considering its predictive power (governments, the military and various businesses co-operations) and its ability to explain the world around us and the way things are, it is something that should be discussed.

Like the whole "all those wasters on the dole who don't have a job" line you hear sometimes. Yeah.

Try getting a job with an 85 IQ (15% of Irish people) in an increasingly digitized and cognitively demanding economy. You're really going to be fùcked in that scenario like and a lot of people are getting locked out of the job market because of this. Why do you think the tech companies in the docks are mainly hiring multinational workers, not Irish in their software engineering department? The great lie.

I'd say one of the barriers to the acceptance of this is the guy who is a little bit above average, but thinks he's intelligent because he has a degree or reads The Guardian and is used to being the smartest guy in the room.

Advertisement