Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

conorhal wrote: »
    20Cent wrote: »
    So many virgin incels hitting the pubs after Peterson gig.

But enough about your Antifa mates.... Who didn't show up, did the crowd look a little to manly for them?

Is this for real or...?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That’s not waffle. He often talks about transcendent metaphysical substrates. What’s difficult about that? I’m sure all his followers could explain what those things are, right?

In all seriousness, a lot of it is just noise, that ends in telling angry white men who are too socially retarded to get a relationship, that they’re right and everyone else should cop on and watch his YouTube sermons. Then they’d get a girlfriend and things would go back to the good ole days Lol.

Are you American or do you just think you are? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

You've got some chip on your shoulder there. Still sore that gays can marry or something? Reading too many junk websites?

You should take your yankee, polar outlook and ask yourself why you think it applies here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

That’s not waffle. He often talks about transcendent metaphysical substrates. What’s difficult about that? I’m sure all his followers could explain what those things are, right?

In all seriousness, a lot of it is just noise, that ends in telling angry white men who are too socially retarded to get a relationship, that they’re right and everyone else should cop on and watch his YouTube sermons. Then they’d get a girlfriend and things would go back to the good ole days Lol.

I'm not a fan of his, I think he is very duplicitous on religion but he says the exact opposite to what you have just attributed to him regarding men and relationships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

All of the second paragraph is a mere generalised ad hominem.

I’m not religious so a lot of Peterson’s work leaves me cold, but you have no argument there.

• Advertisement

You've got some chip on your shoulder there. Still sore that gays can marry or something? Reading too many junk websites?

You should take your yankee, polar outlook and ask yourself why you think it applies here in Ireland.

You’ve just engaged in the kind of argument he mentioned. First attack is a strawman. As is the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

All these professional atheists sure do end up sounding like cult leaders.

In what way? I've seen variations of this phrase being made by people thinking that they're clever, insightful and original but they rarely have they intellectual capacity to back it up beyond the soundbite.

Peterson isn’t an atheist. I don’t like new atheists myself, but Harris is the best of them.

You’ve just engaged in the kind of argument he mentioned. First attack is a strawman. As is the second.

Scratch below the surface of of someone with a self professed hatred of liberals and you'll find a fondness for alt-right American websites. The language gives them away. It's the same when someone uses terms like "cultural appropriation" unironically - you can tell from their language what they're filling their brains with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Bambi wrote: »

Are you American or do you just think you are? :confused:

American?

snotboogie wrote: »

I'm not a fan of his, I think he is very duplicitous on religion but he says the exact opposite to what you have just attributed to him regarding men and relationships

Look at his fanbase and see how they interpret his sermons. They don’t say ‘I need to change how I behave and then it’ll be better’. They say ‘ other people should read Peterson’s sermons, then things would be better for me’.

He uses the same aul guff and word salad speaking about religion as he uses on he other topics. Whether you see it as wind or wonderful just depends on whether you’ve decide you agree with his point.

Peterson isn’t atheist. He’s very much a believer in gawd. But I’ll give you a Bon-Bon if you can figure out what he thinks that gawd actually is. Waffle waffle metaphysical is strait of reality waffle waffle. It almost the exact same total nonsense as he speaks when he’s preaching about other topics.

Look at his fanbase and see how they interpret his sermons. They don’t say ‘I need to change how I behave and then it’ll be better’. They say ‘ other people should read Peterson’s sermons, then things would be better for me’.

Shamelessly borrowed from the thread in A&A:

453334.jpg

His fans are fairly sure things would be better if only other people would listen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

They don’t say ‘I need to change how I behave and then it’ll be better’. They say ‘ other people should read Peterson’s sermons, then things would be better for me’.

Who actually says that, or are you making up ghost arguments?

markodaly wrote: »
    They don’t say ‘I need to change how I behave and then it’ll be better’. They say ‘ other people should read Peterson’s sermons, then things would be better for me’.

How actually says that, or are you making up ghost arguments?

Oh listen to any of his fans. There’s one particular clown who posts in these thread who said he would recommend Peterson to all young men. He later said he hasn’t actually seen much Peterson and never read his books or anything. He remained fairly certain Peterson would be great for other people.

It’s endemic in Peterson’s flock.

I didn’t read that post you’re referring to. So I’m not alone in holding this opinion.

In fact, I’ve long been saying that his followers are big fans of telling other people to watch his videos and read his books. Comparatively very little talk about what his fans have actually done to change themselves.

Did you notice that your funny little cartoon is unrelated to the point I made? Do you have any cartoons of Peterson’s followers telling everyone else to heed Peterson’s guff even though they haven’t personally done any of it?

You should read the cartoon. It will make sense then. If not, I'll get a three hour video for you that you can watch and it'll definitely make sense then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Anyone attend this evening care to share their experience? I've no interest in Harris but JP tweeted today that he'll be back in Dublin for a 12 Rules tour October 21st i'm interested in going

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Oh listen to any of his fans. There’s one particular clown who posts in these thread who said he would recommend Peterson to all young men. He later said he hasn’t actually seen much Peterson and never read his books or anything. He remained fairly certain Peterson would be great for other people.

It’s endemic in Peterson’s flock.

So that’s one person then ??

Seems to me there’s a few angry people posting about how much they dislike and / or disagree with Peterson without actually understanding anything he’s ever said.

Your misrepresentation and lack of understanding of his message is apparent. Whether you agree with him or not is irrelevant when you misunderstand and misquote him.

Here’s another..

Why post a negative opinion on someone you clearly know so little about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Will be a bad night for the ladies out in town tonight.
    So many virgin incels hitting the pubs after Peterson gig.

There's a mad bang of Lynx Africa off that picture.

Is it true that they were practically giving tickets away today (€20, I heard), having priced some of them as high as €196?

On one hand I'm a little disappointed at the hatred of someone solely because they reach out to young men but on the other hand it's good to see how quickly the mask of tolerance falls off some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

conorhal wrote: »
    But enough about your Antifa mates.... Who didn't show up, did the crowd look a little to manly for them?

Antifa confront fascists Peterson isn't one so they wouldn't be there.

JMNolan wrote: »
    On one hand I'm a little disappointed at the hatred of someone solely because they reach out to young men but on the other hand it's good to see how quickly the mask of tolerance falls off some people.

It's a bit of slagging, why does everything have to be "hatred" or"war" on something.

manual_man wrote: »
    Anyone attend this evening care to share their experience? I've no interest in Harris but JP tweeted today that he'll be back in Dublin for a 12 Rules tour October 21st i'm interested in going

Tweets from the gig last night:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1018202333614878720.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a bit of slagging, why does everything have to be "hatred" or"war" on something.
    Because that's how these things go and go both ways when ideologies become increasingly polarised in a society.

What one bunch of polarised people think of and paint the other:

031367083b38_sf_9.jpg

and what they think and paint of them:

yh4-ENsT.jpeg

Neither can take a joke. Or try and take the objective middle ground. And both are convinced they're right.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Interview with Marian Finucane

Interview with Mike Sheridan of The delve podcast

Sam Harris interview: You pay a price for discussing taboo topics ->
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/interviews/sam-harris-interview-waking-up-podcast-jordan-peterson-o2-arena-a8424416.html

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I doubt I'm alone in thinking this Peter Kavanagh fella is a dickhead.

A bad mannered one too if he did what he said he did with the leaflet.

Just another beta male acting the big man on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

In what way? I've seen variations of this phrase being made by people thinking that they're clever, insightful and original but they rarely have they intellectual capacity to back it up beyond the soundbite.

Oh come on. Even Christopher Hitchens was embarrassed by the carry on of a lot of his followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

He uses the same aul guff and word salad speaking about religion as he uses on he other topics. Whether you see it as wind or wonderful just depends on whether you’ve decide you agree with his point.

I'm not saying if he is right or wrong, I am just saying that you are completely misrepresenting him. He is non stop on about self improvement and change, to say his message is you're perfect and everyone else needs to change is just factually wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I doubt I'm alone in thinking this Peter Kavanagh fella is a dickhead.

A bad mannered one too if he did what he said he did with the leaflet.

Just another beta male acting the big man on Twitter.

Beta male. Hahahaha

Advertisement