Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

It really is hilarious that some people are so wound up by Peterson's popularity. What's the problem. What is he saying or doing that upsets people so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Wibbs wrote: »
    Because that's how these things go and go both ways when ideologies become increasingly polarised in a society.

What one bunch of polarised people think of and paint the other:

031367083b38_sf_9.jpg

and what they think and paint of them:

yh4-ENsT.jpeg

Neither can take a joke. Or try and take the objective middle ground. And both are convinced they're right.

That Peter Kavanagh article on attending the event that 20cent posted is a perfect example of that. Line after line of snarky ad hominem attacks wrapped up with "don't be bitter and end up like Jordo". The lack of self awareness is staggering.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    That Peter Kavanagh article on attending the event that 20cent posted is a perfect example of that. Line after line of snarky ad hominem attacks wrapped up with "don't be bitter and end up like Jordo".
    Yep, just like the "Red pill" yahoos might label a feminist event as a bunch of "fat ugly lesbians who can't get a man". Add "purple haired" for spice. The script writes itself and the same narrative goes on with yer man's thoughts. Two sides of the same well polished coin.
    The lack of self awareness is staggering.
    A near certainty in any identity politic is a self awareness and irony bypass. They don't quite understand the terms and if by some miracle they do they never ascribe them to themselves.

Another near certainty is a complete blanking of what the others may say or claim. Not debate mind you, that would be a refreshing change, but no the shutters slam down. Take yer man's article and the leaflet he ripped up(I'll believe that to oblige him...)

DiFiTRwXcAIg7I5.jpg

We'll gloss over the "Men under siege"!! type rhetoric, that's another given in this sort of thing. However each bullet point on that leaflet is a fact, backed up by government research and stats. But heaven forbid rather than have a debate about that, even an attempt to question the points, or disprove them with his own stats and facts, his instinctive go to response is to petulantly rip it up to show his "woke" status to his tribe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

JMNolan wrote: »
    On one hand I'm a little disappointed at the hatred of someone solely because they reach out to young men but on the other hand it's good to see how quickly the mask of tolerance falls off some people.

I particularly liked the

“There's a mad bang of Lynx Africa off that picture”

Apparently there’s a “woke” deodorant for the right thinking upper middle classes. Unfortunately he didn’t say which.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I doubt I'm alone in thinking this Peter Kavanagh fella is a dickhead.

A bad mannered one too if he did what he said he did with the leaflet.
    I agree, but this kinda imported stuff is all too easy to get sucked into.

EG
    Just another beta male acting the big man on Twitter.
    This part could be written by an American college student. "Beta/Alpha/SJW/Cuck/Rape culture/Patriarchy/Woke/MGTOW/Red Pill" and all that fuckwittery is becoming part of the background noise in too much discourse. Like I say it's easy to get sucked into it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Ideologues of all stripes don't. The "right" are just as fact avoidant. It's how ideologues and polarised ideologies operate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Interview with Marian Finucane

Interview with Mike Sheridan of The delve podcast

Sam Harris interview: You pay a price for discussing taboo topics ->
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/interviews/sam-harris-interview-waking-up-podcast-jordan-peterson-o2-arena-a8424416.html
    Thanks for posting that . Jordan Peterson provokes thinking .

What is wrong with that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

On one hand I'm a little disappointed at the hatred of someone solely because they reach out to young men but on the other hand it's good to see how quickly the mask of tolerance falls off some people.

If you think "there's a mad bang of Lynx Africa off that picture" is "hatred" and not just very, very gentle mockery, then you're nowhere near as rational as the Rational Men who attended that event last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

If you think "there's a mad bang of Lynx Africa off that picture" is "hatred" and not just very, very gentle mockery, then you're nowhere near as rational as the Rational Men who attended that event last night.

Maybe I'm not, there's always room for improvement. My bedroom still isn't tidy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I find the dislike for Peterson’s popularity intriguing and revealing - the Left are being called out for being as bad as everyone else, despite their mindless compassion for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

I find the dislike for Peterson’s popularity intriguing and revealing - the Left are being called out for being as bad as everyone else, despite their mindless compassion for all.

The monsters expressing compassion!!!!

Wanting more equality is just the same as nazi Germany ffs.

It’s clearly some kind of class supremacist position.

I mean they looked middle class to me but you probably come from the leafiest suburbs.

Wibbs wrote: »
    EG
    This part could be written by an American college student. "Beta/Alpha/SJW/Cuck/Rape culture/Patriarchy/Woke/MGTOW/Red Pill" and all that fuckwittery is becoming part of the background noise in too much discourse. Like I say it's easy to get sucked into it.

I made a very innocent remark about the event on Twitter last night, and three men (none of whom follow me, and must therefore have been searching for Jordan Peterson's name) 'accused' me of being a homosexual, which was very hurtful.

Anyway, all's well that ends well - after an amicable discussion, we sorted our differences out and I agreed to fuck them.

It’s clearly some kind of class supremacist position.

I mean they looked middle class to me but you probably come from the leafiest suburbs.

Yeah, Lynx reminds me of class alright... a classroom in the late '90s after PE.

20Cent wrote: »

Must be tough for them to do all this good work with their angel wings getting in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Not sure how Peterson opposes equality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Like I said, mindless.

The people who aren't Nazis - they're the real Nazis.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Not sure how Peterson opposes equality?

It's literally the opposite of what he has said, I'm genuinely surprised at the stuff people attribute to Peterson, it's actually very eye opening.

A few of the lads here have him setup as Hitler which is pure fantasy stuff.

One big problem with him is how unclear he is. He just throws things out there without following up on his point. Like women wear make up to look sexually aroused. So what? What point is he making about that.
    Then some incel gets it in his head that feminism is the reason he can't get laid and that women are sexually harassing him because they wear makeup.

People hear what they want to hear and the ambiguity suits Peterson because he can claim to have been taken out of context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I don't hate Jordon Peterson, I just think he's a clown and he and his supporters think he's a lot more intelligent than he actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's literally the opposite of what he has said, I'm genuinely surprised at the stuff people attribute to Peterson, it's actually very eye opening.

A few of the lads here have him setup as Hitler which is pure fantasy stuff.

Peterson speaks a lot without actually making any coherent points. He reminds me of Deepak Chopra lot of the time.

One big problem with him is how unclear he is. He just throws things out there without following up on his point. Like women wear make up to look sexually aroused. So what? What point is he making about that.
    Then some incel gets it in his head that feminism is the reason he can't get laid and that women are sexually harassing him because they wear makeup.

People hear what they want to hear and the ambiguity suits Peterson because he can claim to have been taken out of context.

Why are you so obsessed with “incels”. I’m pretty sure incels are not his market. And that that movement doesn’t exist here.

(Its funny to defend Peterson because his book left me cold. In fact I gave up).

So we’re agreed that the people who turned up last night were privileged white lynx wearing Nazi supporting incels?

We’ll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Oh come on. Even Christopher Hitchens was embarrassed by the carry on of a lot of his followers.

Don't get me wrong, I know that some atheists can be arses, particularly those still coming of age. What I took issue with what the comparison with atheism to a cult. It's a comment that I've seen many times before but nobody's been able to explain that they meant by it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

When / Will the video of last nights debate be on the internet ?

I love Jordan Peterson , Douglas Murray .

Why are you so obsessed with “incels”. I’m pretty sure incels are not his market. And that that movement doesn’t exist here.

(Its funny to defend Peterson because his book left me cold. In fact I gave up).

Not obsessed.
    Most people have a dry patch love wise during their lives (not me of course). They don't turn it into the world is against them whinge. Peterson is encouraging such self pity (enforced monogamy).
    He says that those who really are privileged the white heterosexual male are the real victims while actual oppressed groups haven't anything to complain about and should just shutup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    That Peter Kavanagh article on attending the event that 20cent posted is a perfect example of that. Line after line of snarky ad hominem attacks wrapped up with "don't be bitter and end up like Jordo". The lack of self awareness is staggering.

I don't get understand his use of "white male" as a derogatory term. First of all, he was in Ireland where, let's face it, the vast majority of us are very much white. Second of all, it comes across as cringey yank stuff.

Who is calling Peterson a Nazi?
    No one afaik in this thread anyway.

• Advertisement

I don't get understand his use of "white male" as a derogatory term. First of all, he was in Ireland where, let's face it, the vast majority of us are very much white. Second of all, it comes across as cringey yank stuff.

Advertisement