Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Rennaws wrote: »
    Well let’s start with something my mother taught me from a very youug age.. life’s not fair, get used to it..

I don’t think you should do anything you don’t want to do. I choose my words carefully.. go back and re-read them if you didn’t understand them the first time. I offered a suggestion which, as always, you are free to ignore.

I’m ignoring it then. Thanks anyway.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Brian? wrote: »
    Excuse me. I don’t subscribe to this. Why do you think I do?

Are you sure? Maybe it's unconscious bias?

Are you sure? Maybe it's unconscious bias?

What’s your agenda here? I thought we were having a reasonable debate. What’s the point of this petty BS?

I explaining one aspect of what I believed toxic masculinity to be. Emotional repression. Are you finished debating this?

they/them/theirs

What’s your agenda here? I thought we were having a reasonable debate. What’s the point of this petty BS?

I explaining one aspect of what I believed toxic masculinity to be. Emotional repression. Are you finished debating this?

You can't bring your balls into a discussion and claim that you're trying to have reasonable debate.

I've responded to the idea that emotional repression is an element of "toxic masculinity"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

You would be comfortable with someone coining a term 'toxic feminity' which actually means emotional instability? You don't think it's a bit off?

• Advertisement

You can't bring your balls into a discussion and claim that you're trying to have reasonable debate.

Actually I can. It’s called a joke.
    I've responded to the idea that emotional repression is an element of "toxic masculinity"

Grand. Can you admit you were wrong then, I never said lads on a stag was toxic masculinity.

they/them/theirs

You would be comfortable with someone coining a term 'toxic feminity' which actually means emotional instability? You don't think it's a bit off?

You know the term “toxic feminity” is already widely used?

they/them/theirs

Gonna need some sorta proof for that, I don't think I've ever seen it used outside of pointing out the absurdity of the term "toxic masculinity"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

No it isn't and it's a nonsense to suggest it is. Toxic mothers are a widely reported phenomenon and there's many a self help book to deal with it but toxic femininity is generally raised in a 'if there's toxic masculinity, is there toxic femininity?' way. And according to most feminists there's no correlation because hey, patriarchy.

Gonna need some sorta proof for that, I don't think I've ever seen it used outside of pointing out the absurdity of the term "toxic masculinity"

Are you going to admit you were wrong or totally ignore it and hope I stop bringing it up?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

No it isn't and it's a nonsense to suggest it is. Toxic mothers are a widely reported phenomenon and there's many a self help book to deal with it but toxic femininity is generally raised in a 'if there's toxic masculinity, is there toxic femininity?' way. And according to most feminists there's no correlation because hey, patriarchy.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Toxic+feminity

they/them/theirs

Wow, that's hiwawious, Bwian!

Wow, that's hiwawious, Bwian!

You call things nonsense, you get nonsense.

they/them/theirs

Out of toxic femininity and toxic masculinity, which one has enjoyed enough usage to warrant a wikipedia entry? Take a guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Out of toxic femininity and toxic masculinity, which one has enjoyed enough usage to warrant a wikipedia entry? Take a guess...

Maybe we should just call it toxic humanity to avoid any gender bias..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The point being, toxic [insert immutable group trait] is as they love to say problematic. Associating toxicity with masculinity is sinister imo. You wouldn't do it with any other trait, not to mention that this is 50% of the population with a 'toxicity' problem.

Suppose your fighting the good fight on multiple fronts then, toxic masculinity, femininity, toxic blackness etc...

I’m ignoring it then. Thanks anyway.

Ok. Coming from a poster who uses the term "toxic masculinity" I'm more than comfortable with that..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Brian? says he's using toxic masculinity from the psychological point of view. However, he clearly was aware when posting about the negative connotations that the term has gained. The term has largely been appropriated by the Aids Skrillex types who blame everything on white men, which is why I included it in the list of arseholery terms.

Brian? says he's using toxic masculinity from the psychological point of view. However, he clearly was aware when posting about the negative connotations that the term has gained. The term has largely been appropriated by the Aids Skrillex types who blame everything on white men, which is why I included it in the list of arseholery terms.

AIDS Skrillex types? Genuinely curious.

they/them/theirs

AIDS Skrillex types? Genuinely curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Jesus Christ, what the hell is that?

Jesus Christ, what the hell is that?

The state of political discourse in the united states.

The state of political discourse in the united states.

I assume the bloke doing the shouting and screaming is some kind of non binary manwoman type person who is desperately trying to run away from his inherent toxic masculinity by screaming "white male" at everyone else while no doubt insinuating that it comes with some kind of mythical privilege :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Does that fella actually have AIDS?

Jesus Christ I've never seen anything like that.

You could only feel sorry for the chap really. What a life he must lead.

Rennaws wrote: »
    I assume the bloke doing the shouting and screaming is some kind of non binary manwoman type person who is desperately trying to run away from his inherent toxic masculinity by screaming "white male" at everyone else while no doubt insinuating that it comes with some kind of mythical privilege :rolleyes:

You can judge all of that from a 5 second video clip? You’ve got a talent there my friend. A real talent.

they/them/theirs

Does that fella actually have AIDS?

Jesus Christ I've never seen anything like that in my life.

You could only feel sorry for the chap really. What a life he must lead.

I sincerely doubt he has Aids, they just call him Aids Skrillex because of his crappy haircut. And I wouldn't hold that nobody numbnuts with zero influence up as an example of political discourse in America when there's far denser, and more dangerous, people in the White House at this very moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

Ok. Even if I get your point. I still believe using that term is insulting to all men.

It is. Its an attack on human nature which is an attack on a man's primary mode of being.

People being ****ehawks is just people being ****ehawks. Gender, race, sexual orientation and other naturally deciding factors should have nothing to do with it.

I love on one hand we're meant to embrace differences, while on the other hand its up to a specific group to change to accommodate other groups.

Embrace your masculinity if you want to and be comfortable enough to call somebody out when they're being a gomey.
    Simple enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

I've always been surprised by how partisan any chat about Peterson was so I thought it'd be interesting to do a little experiment.

1. If you're a fan/not a fan of JP, why do you like listening to him /not like listening to him?

2. Now when thinking of the other side, why do you think other people like/don't like him? (i.e. If you're a fan of Peterson, why do you think people don't like him and what he has to say?)

Be interesting to see how accurate people's ideas about the other side are.

And I wouldn't hold that nobody numbnuts with zero influence up as an example of political discourse in America when there's far denser, and more dangerous, people in the White House at this very moment.

Yes, but that nobody numbnuts was one among many. 2016 was a time in particular when extreme social justice activists became increasingly vocal, aggressive, and mainstream.

That guy had no power perhaps, but this guy does

https://twitter.com/prestonmitchum/status/889165691529637888?lang=en

He's a Georgetown University Law lecturer, and that's the prevailing mood among academics in the US (or at least, other academics aren't allowed voice their views). Bret Weinstein has been virtually hounded out of livelihood due to not cancelling his classes in solidarity with blacklivesmatter. The female student who played a video of Jordan Peterson had her academic progress threatened by college authorities. Jordan Peterson himself has faced significant intimidation at public speaking events

This is what Jonathan Pie described as 'you mustn't say that', something which he blamed for Trump getting elected in the first place. It was no coincidence that every poll before the election showed Trump losing the election. I mean, if you say that only uneducated, white, racist, misogynists support Trump, do you expect an honest answer? #everydaysexism

In 2016 toxic masculinity was putting your legs at more than 180% (manspreading).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

In 2016 toxic masculinity was putting your legs at more than 180% (manspreading).

what?

Advertisement