Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you bought an Espresso Machine from UK?

• 21-01-2018 2:08pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭

.......would you be concerned if it needed servicing and shipping back to UK. Assuming a 30kg, totally boxed or sub 30kg, is courier fee prohibitive?
    Would it stop you from purchasing?
    Much better selection in for eg, Bella Barista, who I'd like to buy off.
    Bought my Compak grinder off them before Christmas and it was here in two days. Pronto.

So, to reiterate, has anyone shipped back to Uk, is it something to be worried about?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

So having a look around, DHL seems prohibitively expensive, too heavy for nightline, DPD won't give me prices. And UPS have an option for just under €75. Used details for an R58 which is listed as 29KG

screenshot.png?dl=0
    439386.png

Haven't done this. I bought my Silvia online for a significant saving, and figure I'll have to find someone local to service if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Curious, but what sort of servicing does an Espresso machine need?

And could it not be done more local?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

An espresso machine should just need the group head dismantled, those parts cleaned, any seals lubricated, and then re-assembled. About a 4 minute job. Other than that, flushing a descaler through the brewing and steam circuits should be all that is required. none of these require a technician or the machine to be sent anywhere.

Lots more youtube videos on descaling and back flushing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

I bought an espresso machine from Bella Barista about six years ago. I did consider at the time what would happen if I had to send it back. I have never had to actually do it mind, but I have had to open the machine up several times for surgery. I am happy to get stuck in and work on it myself, but for someone who isn't comfortable rummaging around the innards of an espresso machine, it may not be ideal.

Not necessarily related to the original query, but for completeness, it's an Expobar Leva dual (a.k.a. Brewtus IV), and so far I've had to replace the brew boiler temperature probe (multiple times), the PID controller (due to poor build quality), the vibe pump (just worn out), and most recently, the pressure stat.

The group has been serviced/cleaned/lubricated several times, but that's just routine stuff.

Other than that, it's been great :D

Having said all that, I find Bella Barista to be very good to deal with. They are quite understanding of the logistics involved in sending such a machine back, so are happy to work with me to get any issues resolved locally.

That is more servicing than my Honda civic has needed in 12 years. If only Honda made Espresso machines :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Jay....sus.....I have a Honda Civic aswell :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

More repair than servicing. :-/

I've never seen another Expobar (so my sample size is not very representative), but mine looks like it was more thrown together than assembled. As an example, the cables for the PID were draped across the frame of the vibe pump, so the insulation frayed off and blew the PID!

I went for it for cost reasons, but if doing it again, I'd scrimp a bit more and get an ECM/Profitec. The build quality seems superb on those.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bought a La spazialle Mini Vivaldi II from a place in the UK. Must be 18 months ago. Haven't had cause to send it off anywhere, but I doubt the place I bought it off would be too interested in carrying out repairs in any case.

Planet X wrote: »
    Jay....sus.....I have a Honda Civic aswell :D:D:D

Type R? ;)

I did just recently get a SH machine from the Uk via eBay, but if anything goes wrong I will just fix it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I have done all servicing and repairs to my Rancilio Silvia myself. It is a straightforward machine, with clear diagrams available online, and parts for it are easy to get (I get mine from homecoffeemachines.ie). I have had the machine for many years and never had to send away.
    Parts changed over time:
    - Brew thermostat
    - Pump (my fault, dropped something in the reservoir and blocked the pump, it only needed cleaning but I replaced it instead as the part is cheap)
    - Over-pressure valve
    - Standard maintenance kit - gasket and shower screen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement