Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Uni for Computer Science: NUIG, UL or UCC?

• 21-01-2018 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

6th year student here, currently thinking of doing CS but wondering out of NUIG, UL or UCC where would be the best place to do it?

I've also heard some people say that you get a good intro in 1st year if you haven't done much programming before whereas others say the high dropout rate is partly due to lack of experience, is it true? I've done small bits of programming from Coderdojo in primary school but I forget a lot of it and I'm also quite good at maths and physics, would I be suited to it or am I better off doing Computer Engineering or Physics?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

The drop-out rate is a result of people enrolling apathetically in computing degrees that they are not prepared for. I think that's what you're in danger of doing:

"I've done small bits of programming from Coderdojo in primary school but I forget a lot of it"

If you're not at least playing around with computing and programming when you're not in school or college, then you need to question your desire to pursue those things. Some people live for this stuff, and you'll be studying and competing with them.

"I'm also quite good at maths and physics"

A lot of us are quite good at things, but do we want to spend four years and maybe tens of thousands of Euros to be given the task of studying them? What work do you want to do when you're finished the degree?

I would advise anyone in your situation to sit in at a full day's lectures in one of those courses, if you can. Find out what job a graduate is likely to get, and see if you like the look of it.

Going to college is a risk. You risk missing whatever money and experience you might have gained by working instead, and you're guaranteed to use up a pile of money, both yours and the taxpayer's. It needs to pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cheekibreeki

The drop-out rate is a result of people enrolling apathetically in computing degrees that they are not prepared for. I think that's what you're in danger of doing:

"I've done small bits of programming from Coderdojo in primary school but I forget a lot of it"

If you're not at least playing around with computing and programming when you're not in school or college, then you need to question your desire to pursue those things. Some people live for this stuff, and you'll be studying and competing with them.

"I'm also quite good at maths and physics"

A lot of us are quite good at things, but do we want to spend four years and maybe tens of thousands of Euros to be given the task of studying them? What work do you want to do when you're finished the degree?

I would advise anyone in your situation to sit in at a full day's lectures in one of those courses, if you can. Find out what job a graduate is likely to get, and see if you like the look of it.

Going to college is a risk. You risk missing whatever money and experience you might have gained by working instead, and you're guaranteed to use up a pile of money, both yours and the taxpayer's. It needs to pay off.

While I would genuinely enjoy doing a degree in CS, you're right that I definitely don't know enough about it to dedicate years of time and thousands of euros towards it.

I'm currently looking into Applied Physics instead which combines my interest in physics while still having lots of options and wriggle room for future career prospects. There are electives in coding and algorithms which are some of the areas in CS I was most looking forward to without having to be tied into a 4 year CS degree which I may or may not like.

Jobs-wise I'm thinking about doing research for an electronics/IT firm or being a software developer for an IT firm.

Advertisement