Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log splitter

Options
  • 21-01-2018 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these, https://www.drapertools.com/product/81203/1500W-4-Tonne-230V-Log-Splitter
    anyone got any experience of these or similar ones ? Are they worth the money or would I be better off sticking with the axe and getting exercise and warmth at the same time ?:) I'd also be interested in building my own to work off an engine or small Kubota tractor but that could be a long term project. All ideas welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

250 mm diameter wouldn't be very thick, probably more suited to spruce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

Are you really using an axe? A maul is the tool for splitting logs. Designed not to get stuck in timber. No comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

blackbox wrote: »
    Are you really using an axe? A maul is the tool for splitting logs. Designed not to get stuck in timber. No comparison.

Sorry, should have clarified that, it's a proper splitting axe that I use. I enjoy swinging it but age is catching up with me and with the amount of firewood I use a log splitter would be an enormous help.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I came across an item called a Timber Croc, at the the Ideal Homes and bought one on the spot as it really adds to your H&S particularly while cutting smaller lighter branches. No connection, just a satisfied customer.
    www.timbercroc.com

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

I came across an item called a Timber Croc, at the the Ideal Homes and bought one on the spot as it really adds to your H&S particularly while cutting smaller lighter branches. No connection, just a satisfied customer.
    www.timbercroc.com

I had looked at those and loads of other similar types but all of them had their limitations for loading logs. I eventually settled on one of these, https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Draper-32274-300kg-Heavy-Duty-Log-Stand-saw-Horse/2006058748?iid=400844733645
    As long as you can lift one end of the log you can get it on the stand, allowing for sufficient overhang. Place the chain over the log and down through the chain holders which allow the chain to drop down but not come back. Lift the end that's resting on the ground slightly above horizontal and let it go, the log is now horizontal and ready for sawing. I've cut some large 4M logs that wood not have fitted in some of the other types of log holder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I'd also be interested in building my own to work off an engine or small Kubota tractor but that could be a long term project. All ideas welcome.

Has your tractor a pto, I have one of these and havn't looked back. Comes with a table and can split anything easily.

farmer_13_ton_plugin_farmer-37hv_1.jpg

http://mlarge.com/shop/thor-13-ton-farmer-tractor-hydraulic-log-splitter.html

Advertisement