Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord and fake receipt

Options
  • 21-01-2018 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Long story short I am leaving tenancy. Landlord has given me deposit but has asked for 180 to buy a small fridge I broke I admit I broke it but it is a very old fridge landlord said fridge only 2 years old I was not convinced so asked to see receipt which he gave to me. Not a proper receipt so went to electrical shop and they stated they have no knowledge of docket and they have never sold that brand. I told landlord this and he denies any wrong doing and got very aggressive
    I am leaving next weekend anyway
    Is what he has done above illegal
    What are my options here
    I was going to offer 100 before the above scam by him should I Still do this

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭99 Bortles of Beer

If the fridge is only 2 years old - find the make and model and see what price it is selling for elsewhere. If it is less than 180, tell the landlord you will replace it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

What’s the the brand/model of the fridge? In what way did you break it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Bob24 wrote: »
    What’s the the brand/model of the fridge? In what way did you break it?

Thanks for reply
    Beko gr821 under counter fridge
    When I moved in it stopped working so I just bought a new larger one forgot to say it to landlord about this we have not met much

If the fridge is only 2 years old - find the make and model and see what price it is selling for elsewhere. If it is less than 180, tell the landlord you will replace it yourself?

Beko gr 821. I cannot find any info on this which makes me think it is ancient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

It stopped working or you broke It?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

offer to replace the same unit if its under 180.. if its more than 180, just give it to him .

It comes across you want to give him nothing with this talk of fake receipts etc, you admit yourself you broke the fridge so I'm not sure what you're giving out about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Thanks for reply
    Beko gr821 under counter fridge
    When I moved in it stopped working so I just bought a new larger one forgot to say it to landlord about this we have not met much

Why did you not say it to him when it stopped working??
    So the fridge stopped working, you replaced it with a new one.
    Where is the problem, unless the new one is not working now or are you taking it with you?

It stopped working or you broke It?

How could I break a fridge. It stopped working.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Why did you not say it to him when it stopped working??
    So the fridge stopped working, you replaced it with a new one.
    Where is the problem, unless the new one is not working now or are you taking it with you?

The new is mine it is a nice one. If I said it to him he would have got a small one again that was no use to me. Either way he has to get a fridge then or now

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Your looking at a similar price for the same brand and item any way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I broke I admit I broke it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,931 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Why would you pay for something you didn't break?

If you rent a place and something breaks of its own accord you tell the landlord and they replace it for you.

I wouldn't be paying him to replace the fridge.

You said in your OP That you broke It :confused:

If it just "stopped working" you should have contacted your landlord at the time and had it replaced or repaired. You've really lost your rights here as a result. Buy a second hand under counter fridge and that should be the end of it.

hawkelady wrote: »
    offer to replace the same unit if its under 180.. if its more than 180, just give it to him .

It comes across you want to give him nothing with this talk of fake receipts etc, you admit yourself you broke the fridge so I'm not sure what you're giving out about

Why should pay 180 to replace an old fridge I said this to him he said it was not old and tried to pull a quick one by producing a fake receipt
    What don’t you get

In your opening post you say "I admit I broke it".. why are you deviating from that now? as another poster suggested, just eave the fridge you bought when it 2stopped working" If that is the case, you should have informed the landlord about it and he would have had to replace it....but the way you've went about it, you owe the landlord a fridge.. btw, I don't believe for one second the fridge stopped working,, if you didn't break it there is no way you would type "I admit I broke it" the landlord isn't unreasonable at all,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Ask for your full deposit back and don't give him a chance to mess about.

To be clear I did not break it when I said I admit it I meant as in I felt responsibility for not telling him

Ask for your full deposit back and don't give him a chance to mess about.

Minus anything after saying he broke the fridge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

But in your first post you said..
    Landlord has given me deposit but has asked for 180 to buy a small fridge I broke I admit I broke it but it is a very old fridge.

If thats the case, the mistake you made is that you did not tell him immediately when it happened.
    If you did break it then you have to pay for it. If you remember the make and model go and get him a new one yourself if you feel better about it doing it that way.

• Advertisement

just buy him an under counter fridge and that's it.. I'm not sure why you feel you should leave the property minus a fridge....please don't listen to advice saying you should ask for your full deposit back , once you've replaced the fridge I'm sure your full deposit will be returned

To be clear I did not break it when I said I admit it I meant as in I felt responsibility for not telling him

Grand. You've taken responsibility for not informing him as set out in your tenant responsibilities. Had you done so he would have had to replace the fridge at the time. You didn't though. And so there should be a working fridge in place of the one you broke and admit you broke "
    I broke I admit I broke it

What will happen is that the landlord will buy a old fridge. He won't have to provide proof of the age of the new fridge, just proof he had to buy a new one as you returned the old one to him broken. The easier thing for you to do is find a fridge you're happy with the price of and buy it.

The landlord has likely committed a criminal offence. This might soften his cough.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/act/50/section/10/enacted/en/html#sec10

10.—(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he or she dishonestly, with the intention of making a gain for himself or herself or another, or of causing loss to another—

(a) destroys, defaces, conceals or falsifies any account or any document made or required for any accounting purpose,

(b) fails to make or complete any account or any such document, or

(c) in furnishing information for any purpose produces or makes use of any account, or any such document, which to his or her knowledge is or may be misleading, false or deceptive in a material particular.

(2) For the purposes of this section a person shall be treated as falsifying an account or other document if he or she—

(a) makes or concurs in making therein an entry which is or may be misleading, false or deceptive in a material particular, or

(b) omits or concurs in omitting a material particular therefrom.

(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

The landlord is missing his fridge and has to replace it. Why not get a similar same model replacement and let that be the end. Either that or give him the money or he will just take it from your deposit

duffman13 wrote: »
    The landlord is missing his fridge and has to replace it. Why not get a similar same model replacement and let that be the end. Either that or give him the money or he will just take it from your deposit
    What is wrong with some of you. You'll willlingly bend over and taking anything like a good little serf.

He didn't break any fridge. The landlord supplied a heap of junk because he's a typical slumlord that only wants to save a few euro. The fridge broke down and the tenant didn't bother telling him. So what. He does not owe him anything. 

Get the gardai involved and also the prtb if the deposit isn't returned. Don't be a coward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

€180 for a fridge is bargain basement cheap stuff.
    Whatever about your liability, that's not expensive for a fridge.

The landlord has likely committed a criminal offence. This might soften his cough.

10.—(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he or she dishonestly, with the intention of making a gain for himself or herself or another, or of causing loss to another—

(a) destroys, defaces, conceals or falsifies any account or any document made or required for any accounting purpose,

(c) in furnishing information for any purpose produces or makes use of any account, or any such document, which to his or her knowledge is or may be misleading, false or deceptive in a material particular.

(2) For the purposes of this section a person shall be treated as falsifying an account or other document if he or she—

(a) makes or concurs in making therein an entry which is or may be misleading, false or deceptive in a material particular, or

(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or both.

So the op states he broke an appliance yes and your claim is the landlord is breaking the law by asking for it to be replaced

What is wrong with some of you. You'll willlingly bend over and taking anything like a good little serf.

He didn't break any fridge. The landlord supplied a heap of junk because he's a typical slumlord that only wants to save a few euro. The fridge broke down and the tenant didn't bother telling him. So what. He does not owe him anything. 

Get the gardai involved and also the prtb if the deposit isn't returned. Don't be a coward.

This is just trolling now

And here we are...... it didn't take long to go full nuclear here.. mentions of RTB and compensation will be next!!!! Good god calm down with musing of criminal activity etc..

OP just buy an under counter fridge and that will be that, youll get your deposit and a good reference and move on...

"criminal activity" jesus wept

• Advertisement

He falsified a receipt to make a financial gain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement