Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord and fake receipt

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

K.Flyer wrote: »
    But in your first post you said..

If thats the case, the mistake you made is that you did not tell him immediately when it happened.
    If you did break it then you have to pay for it. If you remember the make and model go and get him a new one yourself if you feel better about it doing it that way.

Yes on not telling him he tells me If I told him there was a warranty but now warranty gone I said the fridge looked very old. He than produces a fake receipt dated 2016. This part is true
    I wad going to offer the 100 but I am now raging about him trying to pull a quick one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

He falsified a receipt to make a financial gain.

That really annoys me but is true
    I have given him just over 12 k rent and then he does that

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You broke the fridge and kept stum till you decide you want your full deposit back minus any reductions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

He falsified a receipt to make a financial gain.

I have given him  just over 12 k rent and then he does that
    Classic irish landlord. They will offer dog**** service and try and do you for a handful of euro. Stand up to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

As a matter of interest, what did you do to break the fridge?
    Normal wear and tear and usage is not subject to withholding deposits and appliances do wear out and breakdown in normal use.

• Advertisement

Skedaddle wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what did you do to break the fridge?
    Normal wear and tear and usage is not subject to withholding deposits and appliances do wear out and breakdown in normal use.
    He didn't break the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Long story short I am leaving tenancy. Landlord has given me deposit but has asked for 180 to buy a small fridge I broke I admit I broke it but it is a very old fridge landlord said fridge only 2 years old I was not convinced so asked to see receipt which he gave to me. Not a proper receipt so went to electrical shop and they stated they have no knowledge of docket and they have never sold that brand. I told landlord this and he denies any wrong doing and got very aggressive
    I am leaving next weekend anyway
    Is what he has done above illegal
    What are my options here
    I was going to offer 100 before the above scam by him should I Still do this

Thanks

Just leave.

He got you to admit you broke it by not telling him it was broken :rolleyes:
    Then tried to deceive you for a second time.

Next thing he'll be asking for the fridge you bought. Or claiming it's his and you stole it.

Get the hell out.
    Change your phone number.
    Never look back.

hahah sorry I didn't read that part. You already have your deposit. Tell him to **** right off the dirty chancer and forget about it. Don't change your number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Get the gardai involved.

Please please please tell me you are just trolling and not seriously saying gardai should be involved.

Seriously

Really

Probably the most stupid comment ever on boards

Maybe you think the op should ring 999 too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Why are you so salty??? yes you paid rent, you knew that's the way things go. you also agreed on the amount youd have to pay.. oh, you didn't "give" him 12k. he'd have a mortgage and pay tax etc...

powercity have fridges for 150.. cant see your issue with this... If you leave him with no fridge you wont be getting your full deposit back ..
    and that troll asking to call the guards , please this is getting ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Depreciation is 12.5% a year after two years the landlord will have depreciated it by 25% off his tax bill.
    So for a start the fridge is only worth 75% if it’s original value.

You could get a fridge on adverts for cheap. That’s what you should do.

OP you should go straight to a high end home electronics shop and buy him a decent replacement say a full size Smeg for a grand. Then offer him an extra 500 for all the trouble you caused him. Be very apologetic and deferential and if you're lucky he might give you a reference.

hahah sorry I didn't read that part. You already have your deposit. Tell him to **** right off the dirty chancer and forget about it. Don't change your number

minus a good reference !! if the op has his deposit i'd feel sorry for the landlord for being too soft... he 'll know for next time I suppose......
    Oh, I really feel sorry for the landlord who has the analyst as a tenant ..christ

hawkelady wrote: »

minus a good reference !!   if the op has his deposit i'd feel sorry for the landlord for being too soft... he 'll know for next time I suppose......
    Oh, I really feel sorry for the landlord who has the analyst as a tenant ..christ
    I was messed around with once and it did not go well for the landlord. Thankfully I had anticipated her shenanigans so I did not pay rent for the last 6 weeks. She started throwing out all sorts of threats but when you have the money in your account you have all the power. I countered with lots of threats myself (police being one) and that shut her up.

OP you should go straight to a high end home electronics shop and buy him a decent replacement say a full size Smeg for a grand. Then offer him an extra 500 for all the trouble you caused him. Be very apologetic and deferential and if you're lucky he might give you a reference.

Yes, that's nearly as stupid as telling them to go to the guards!!! you really need a lie down, you're overheating.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The landlord supplied a heap of junk because he's a typical slumlord that only wants to save a few euro.
    Classic irish landlord. They will offer dog**** service and try and do you for a handful of euro. Stand up to him.
    Tell him to **** right off the dirty chancer
    Jaysus that looks like some chip on your shoulder!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Are you going to take the fridge you bought to your new place?

If you broke it, just give him that. You don't have to carry a fridge to your new place (I assume the new place has one), you don't have to pay €180 and the landlord gets a working appliance in his property. Everyone's a winner.

No need to complicate matters with arguments that can be resolved simply with obvious solutions.

If the fridge just broke down then it's obviously not your fault but why did you then replace it yourself rather than telling him?

To be honest whether you broke it or not I think I'd rather just leave the replacement with him instead of being stuck with a fridge I've no use or storage space for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

This forum seems to be just full of landlords.

I'd you didn't break the fridge, do not pay anything. It doesn't matter about not reporting it straight away providing it didn't result in any additional damage occurring. If the landlord deducts from your deposit, threaten to go to the RTB and follow through with it if you get no joy.

If you did break it you can :

a) Buy a second hand fridge and replace the broken one

b) Buy a new one. 150 should cover a basic fridge freezer

c) If you are too lazy for the above, just give 180 to the landlord to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

OP if you got your full deposit back why are you even posting here?

If the fridge broke whilst in situ, how can any of the landlord centric heads point to how the landlord has suffered a loss here? The only person who was inconvenienced by the OP not notifying the LL of the busted fridge is the OP. LL has saved a number of months where he hasn't had to buy a fridge. He can still get it assessed for repair if it's such a precious fridge...

Provided the OP didn't pull the door off or take a hammer to it, a cheap old sh1tty fridge breaking down is not the responsibility of the OP to replace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I was messed around with once and it did not go well for the landlord. Thankfully I had anticipated her shenanigans so I did not pay rent for the last 6 weeks. She started throwing out all sorts of threats but when you have the money in your account you have all the power. I countered with lots of threats myself (police being one) and that shut her up.

Do you find you have trouble with every single landlord and that they're all assholes?
    Well, you know what they say. If everyone you deal with is an asshole, you're the asshole.
    If someone like you were my tenant and constantly riding the small print, I'd make sure every tiny letter of the rental contract would be checked and rechecked and triple checked until you moved out with every square inch of the apartment gone over with a magnifying glass.
    If you find this is your experience, you know where to find the fault. In the mirror.

• Advertisement

Do you find you have trouble with every single landlord and that they're all assholes?
    Well, you know what they say. If everyone you deal with is an asshole, you're the asshole.
    Nah most were fine. You can tell when people are being straight which is my default position. If the landlord above was being fair and reasonable he would have asked about the fridge, said "sorry it was fairly old. I would have replaced it if you told me rather than you buying your own". The landlord here is a sly cheat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

OP, just talk to your landlord and try to find a solution. Copping an attitude and posturing will not resolve the situation.

OP, just talk to your landlord and try to find a solution. Copping an attitude and posturing will not resolve the situation.
    He has his money so he has no need to talk to him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

The Analyst, your posts are nowhere near the standard we expect in A & P, do not post in this thread again.

dubrov wrote: »
    This forum seems to be just full of landlords.

I'd you didn't break the fridge, do not pay anything. It doesn't matter about not reporting it straight away providing it didn't result in any additional damage occurring. If the landlord deducts from your deposit, threaten to go to the RTB and follow through with it if you get no joy.

If you did break it you can :

a) Buy a second hand fridge and replace the broken one

b) Buy a new one. 150 should cover a basic fridge freezer

c) If you are too lazy for the above, just give 180 to the landlord to sort it.

Its in their contract that the landlord must be notified of anything breaking or faulty asap ..tenant didn't do it so the landlord needs a fridge before the tenant leaves..you'd say that's fair yeah?
    otherwise you'd have all the scumbag tenants trying this auld trick, wouldn't we??

I still have no doubt the tenant here broke the fridge, however you can do it..because if he didn't he wouldn't have typed it in the first line of his opening post .
    fridge from adverts is a reasonable proposition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

What should happen in this case (totally made up, but could have happened in OP's case):

- move in jan 2017
    - fridge breaks feb 2017
    - don't tell landlord until moving out in jan 2018
    - fridge warranty expired apr 2017 (2 year warranty)
    - landlord is out of pocket because tenant didn't tell him the fridge was broken before warranty ended

Surely in this case the fridge should be taken out of the tenants deposit?

I'm not a landlord, or tenant, just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

colm_c wrote: »
    What should happen in this case (totally made up, but could have happened in OP's case):

- move in jan 2017
    - fridge breaks feb 2017
    - don't tell landlord until moving out in jan 2018
    - fridge warranty expired apr 2017 (2 year warranty)
    - landlord is out of pocket because tenant didn't tell him the fridge was broken before warranty ended

Surely in this case the fridge should be taken out of the tenants deposit?

I'm not a landlord, or tenant, just curious.

That scenario actually should never happen in the case of a normal landlord and normal tenant as if your fridge breaks and you know your landlord is half decent it's quite obvious letting them know is in everyone's interest (the landlord wants to know if there is a problem in their premises and the tenant wants a new fridge) ... but that is a good question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

OP is the broken fridge still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Ok, so if the fridge breaking down or whatever was the responsibility of the L.L. why did the o.p. go out and buy a new fridge a couple of months into the tenancy, that makes no sense.
    He said he didn't tell the L.L., he said he had little or no contact over the year, why was it not mentioned.
    Landlord was given no opportunity to rectify the situation and now finds they unexpectedly have to replace a fridge with a late explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- I am closing this complete trainwreck of a thread.
    TheAnalyst is on a short holiday from this forum- in recognition of his contributions this afternoon.
    I would remind people of the general mantra we apply here- if you disagree with what another poster posts- refute the post, without attacking the poster- and if you do not feel capable of being civil to others- do not post, period.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement