Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much is turf to cut

Options
  • 21-01-2018 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi - just wondering average price of cutting turf in west of ireland per yard?

Also, want about 100 bags of turf i suppose, how many yards would that be? If it makes it easier, how many yards of turf would fill a 10 x 6 trailer with cribs? Thats about how much i want and wondering if i should pay a man with his own bog to cut cut on it and save it myself

He wasnt sure of final price of turf per yard but quoting 8 / 8.50 euros per yard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭anfieldrd

06608124 wrote:
    He wasnt sure of final price of turf per yard but quoting 8 / 8.50 euros per

We pay €90 for 100 yards (10 sod hopper) in Tipperary this 100 yards would be just under a 10x6 without creels. So probably talking 130-140 yards with creels.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭granpa

depends on machine hopper/ sas machine / turf plate, along with type of turf brown or black turf

black really needs bagged, brown turf dries bigger and lighter might not take much to fill a 25 kilo bag , in donegal some use a turf plate usually

8 sods per plate 40yds 50euro is a trailer with cribs 6x9 cribs , if machine operator is honest man ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭epfff

Whats a turf plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Expect this thread to be closed by the end of the Joe Tuffy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Aravo

Around here a hopper is 10 sods wide and 80 yards long. It costs around €60 per hopper to get a contractor to cut and spread out each hopper. I would estimate that a small house with an oil boiler also used to heat the house would need around of 2 hoppers per year. A farmhouse with a solid fuel range on the go would probably use 5-6 hoppers per year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭epfff

65 here for same (10sods*80/100 yards)

I would be getting about 2 tone bags or about 50 small bags from hopper of well dried turf.

Local experts would say lthe turf dealers would get twice as many bags from same by not letting it reduce as much.

I still don't know what a plate of turf is and live in a big.

What ever are the smallest bags, these are the ones that the sellers use. Or they cut the tops of the bigger bags

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It did cross my mind alright! But 66% of the energy in the midland bogs harvested by bord na mona was wasted in the cooling towers of inefficient power stations so I will let this one run for now.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭granpa

a turf plate is a metal plate about 3ft long with teeth welded to one end about 4inches apart

the back end attaches to a small track machine3ton as machine moves down the bank the driver takes

off the top an can then set out the rows of turf onto floor a then to top of bank, the same as using spade/ slean

only a lot easyer and quicker. it has then to be dried stacked an trailered home, mostly used on turf banks in donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Thanks for the explanation as I didn't know what a turf plate was either. I saw a recent photo on a Facebook page and now I know what it is called.

• Advertisement

This is likely an hydraulic version of a turf plate. Jackson engineering have a turf bucket with an auger built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Ah we couldn't have a turf thread without some input from @I says .

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

OP. A 10x6 is around 11 cubic yards. Around us here a 10x6 of saved turf is €450-500 I think.

Never heard of a turf plate either. Looked at that Jackson eng video but it doesn't give a close up of what exactly it is. Must look it up.

On another note, the ould fella hit the bog last night to check out the "new" purchase.

It worked, and he's happy. The duals are going on and a million 10x6's are gonna be filled. I jest.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭anfieldrd

Sorry to jump in, a semi state company has approached me over the purchase of some bog that I own, what would be a suitable fee to look for, its around 5 acres?

Sounds like Coillte, look for enough. See what they are offering. A visit to an auctioneer might assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

And if it is Coillte, they are swimming in cash from the Gresham deal

https://www.coillte.ie/gresham-house-launches-irish-forestry-fund-with-coillte-and-isif-to-drive-afforestation-in-ireland/

There was talk at the time that the planting on these lands would be used to offset emissions from the UK as opposed to Ireland. Nevertheless, this is selling Irish land to a British investment firm with the intention of making money from Irish timber

https://archive.ph/nBzDp

Advertisement