Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry deer shot numbers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Kat1170

If they can't even count the number of months from Sept to Feb. You'd have to wonder how accurate anything else is :rolleyes:

At least we now know where all the NPWS rangers are between Jan and March(Sec 42's ??), shooting deer in Killarney National Park :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Hunter456

bringing in clients to shoot them to make a few quid.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ayagerard

well i am from co, kerry, and i think the numbers of deer seen are away down ,due to work i was in the muckross area yesterday a nice herd of reds (20) enjoying the evening sun 1 s1ka doe with them 300 yds away ,i stopped the car alert all ears up i got out stood by the car and away they were ,upthe road further (15 ) more reds lying out till i stopped the car about 200 yds the minute they saw me get out they were gone this is in the national park ???? on with me up the road after lady's view i met 2 sika yearling does , and that is what i seen outside of about 30 goats in the one bunch ,i think the numbers of sika are away down this year mabe by as much as 50% based on ground i have west of the park , are there more lads in the area that think the same i would like to hear your response killarney area only , as i hear it the numbers off sika in north kerry are rising steadily, the return numbers posted dont surprise me 2089 animals ,
    260 kerry licences , 34 over seas , lets say 34 over seas licences well the best scenario here is 34 stags happy customers on there way home ,
    260 kerry licences well 60 centerfire licences that don't wan to pay range fees 200 licences permissions for kerry ??????? has no bearing how many hunters hunt deer in kerry i know people in wicklow , kildare , galway,that get there licence off of land in kerry and couldn't find it with a satnav, the sad reality is the npws , haven't a clue what numbers of deer are in co kerry or where in co kerry the deer are , publicity makes them feel important and allows them to justify their wages but the return for the money they draw from the state is very poor they seem to be at all the parties like the guards, but if you need one they are never there
    as far as returns go it is what sutes 6 for the centerfire licence even tho he never went out , . 6 for the fridge even tho he sold 30 last month no one will ever know but the problem here is no one wants to find out
    all parties involved dont care about these animals only their pockets how can they make money out of this scenario , the sad reality of this will be when the wheel goes full turn increased cost more courses and limits imposed on legitimate hunters that done every thing rite but for a few scumbags that are getting away with it consistently & persistently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I've travelled the Molls Gap road to Killarney a couple of dozen times in the last 6 months and never failed to see less than 50 reds in the same two fields every time.

I have never pulled in to observe properly but have seen tourists pulled in and taking pictures with the deer seemingly oblivious to them.

I'll pull in tomorrow and do a count for the craic.

I know from speaking to farmers and hunters that the numbers of Sika from Molls Gap back towards Black Valley and Molls Gap towards Blackwater have increased rapidly over the last few years.

Farmers were constantly asking me to invite shooters down and introduce them, which I have done to everyone's satisfaction.

The wife told me If I eat anymore venison I'll be pulling a sleigh next December.

A farmer showed me a video on his phone of what looks like a hybrid red/sika running up the road in front of his jeep, we showed it to an experienced lad that visits to shoot regular and he says he's almost 100% sure it's a hybrid.

The Sika numbers are up in South Kerry, no question about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Its rare that my brother has seen them on his farm which is 8 miles away, but he has. Its no harm to cull some, not many aware of the ticks that they carry.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/lyme-disease-a-tiny-tick-can-pack-a-huge-punch-1.2964241

• Advertisement

Five reds and one Sika grazing away together this morning about 9am in one of the fields and that was it, saw no more!

I didn't actually stop as there was traffic behind me but I was surprised not to see a couple of big herds in the usual spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭PL05

Hunter456 wrote: »
    bringing in clients to shoot them to make a few quid.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    This is true. I had a few excellent permissions with huge areas for years in Kerry up to about 5 years ago. Then all of a sudden the owners would,nt sign for me saying they did not want any shooting on they,re land anymore. fair enough I thought its they,re land. But one day about a year later I was watching videos about hunting on youtube and I was sick when I saw one about a lad bringing people to Kerry to hunt Kerry sika [commercial] The video showed a shot on a sika hind from a very high point and the area in background was familiar. After watching the video over and over I had no doubt that this place was my old permissions. I was raging and still am.

PL05 wrote: »
    This is true. I had a few excellent permissions with huge areas for years in Kerry up to about 5 years ago. Then all of a sudden the owners would,nt sign for me saying they did not want any shooting on they,re land anymore. fair enough I thought its they,re land. But one day about a year later I was watching videos about hunting on youtube and I was sick when I saw one about a lad bringing people to Kerry to hunt Kerry sika [commercial] The video showed a shot on a sika hind from a very high point and the area in background was familiar. After watching the video over and over I had no doubt that this place was my old permissions. I was raging and still am.

You don't come across as the type of fella that should be allowed to have a rifle to be honest.

4 years is a long time to hold a grudge against people who did no wrong.

You don't come across as the type of fella that should be allowed to have a rifle to be honest.

Listen, you need to read a bit more carefully. No where in what I posted did I say anything bad about any person. I was only making a point about land I had permission on for many years. No names were mentioned or locations. I'm confused at your reaction to be honest. With regard to your opinion about me having a rifle, I probably have had a rifle longer than you can remember and never had any problems getting licsences for any firearm. Maybe the word commercial touched a nerve with you. Fair play to anyone legally doing it. I still have shooting in Kerry and have never enquired about this and I'm still friends with said land owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

A bit over the top imo...what did PL05 do wrong for you to say that he shouldnt have a rifle licence?? He's gutted he lost his permission to commercial hunting..is that a crime?

• Advertisement

270WIN wrote: »
    A bit over the top imo...what did PL05 do wrong for you to say that he shouldnt have a rifle licence?? He's gutted he lost his permission to commercial hunting..is that a crime?

In my opinion the last 6 words he wrote were a cause for concern.

On re reading his post it caused me more concern.

That's just how I read it.

In my opinion the last 6 words he wrote were a cause for concern.

On re reading his post it caused me more concern.

That's just how I read it.

anyone who looses permissions would be upset or in my words Raging. It does,nt mean I'm holding any grudge against anyone. People who are genuinely into this sport would feel a bit annoyed at loosing good ground. IM leaving it at that because this is going off the original topic here. But jaysus I,ve heard it all now. some people should,nt have access to online gagets

has any one passed muckross lately and see what deer was around numbers wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Yes. Ten trips to Killarney so twenty journeys since Christmas. Lots of reds in the usual NP confines, they ignore traffic/pedestrians, also lots of reds to be seen down by the lake hotels. There is IMO an increase in sikas outside the park and they are more dispersed / displaced due to tree-felling in certain areas. I've only have sikas out my way, an increase in numbers and they've destroyed parts of my garden (camellias eaten to stumps, bulbs rooted up and chewed) and can be approached on foot to within 20 metres. Earlier in the winter/late autumn they tug montbretia out in clumps and eat the bulbs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I put petrol in my diesel Jeep yesterday...I was raging, suppose I should hand in my firearms now.

I put petrol in my diesel Jeep yesterday...I was raging, suppose I should hand in my firearms now.

Unless you're still raging in 4 years time, blaming someone else and posting about it on here, I'd say you'll be grand.
    It's a fairly stupid thing to do in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If you didn't fill it over half with petrol.
    Just top up the tank with diesel.The petrol will dilute in the diesel and give the system a clean out of diesel crud.Br grand.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    If you didn't fill it over half with petrol.
    Just top up the tank with diesel.The petrol will dilute in the diesel and give the system a clean out of diesel crud.Br grand.

It was on vapour when I filled it, put 25litres into it, so figured I wouldn't get it doluted enough. Local mech just charged me 130 euro for the pleasure, an expensive lesson.

I'll definitely still be raging about that in four years time, and giving out about my mechanic. Should I have in my firearms :-)

It was on vapour when I filled it, put 25litres into it, so figured I wouldn't get it doluted enough. Local mech just charged me 130 euro for the pleasure, an expensive lesson.

I'll definitely still be raging about that in four years time, and giving out about my mechanic. Should I have in my firearms :-)

Heh, heh. A nice day for the mechanic, a fast €130 and 25 litres of diesel for free.
    You could have bought a siphon pump for about €20 and done it yourself.
    Wouldn't chance mixing half and half in a new jeep myself but if she is an old one you would have been grand, some of the old ones will run away on half diesel/ half used vegetable oil no bother.

Heh, heh. A nice day for the mechanic, a fast €130 and 25 litres of diesel for free.
    You could have bought a siphon pump for about €20 and done it yourself.
    Wouldn't chance mixing half and half in a new jeep myself but if she is an old one you would have been grand, some of the old ones will run away on half diesel/ half used vegetable oil no bother.

Tried a syphon could get it into the tank deep enough

• Advertisement

Tried a syphon could get it into the tank deep enough

Hand back your guns.

The days of the" Irish fuel card":) IE a syphon pump and length of hose are well and truly over:p.There are so many vapour locks and anti-fuel spill in an accident device in your car nowadays its impossible to get a hose down there. It is a garage job to get to the tank and to get them open to drain them.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

The days of the" Irish fuel card":) IE a syphon pump and length of hose are well and truly over:p.There are so many vapour locks and anti-fuel spill in an accident device in your car nowadays its impossible to get a hose down there. It is a garage job to get to the tank and to get them open to drain them.:(

You ever see what the Customs and Excise use to check for marked diesel?

You ever see what the Customs and Excise use to check for marked diesel?

Yup,the last check they did on me was drawing it off the fuel filter.

Unless you're still raging in 4 years time, blaming someone else and posting about it on here, I'd say you'll be grand.
    It's a fairly stupid thing to do in fairness.[/QUOTE
    :D:D:D:D:D:D Looks like I'm not the only one who cant let something go.:confused::confused: And it was 25 litres of petrol. so as said before please read posts correctly.

PL05 wrote: »
    It's a fairly stupid thing to do in fairness.[/QUOTE
    :D:D:D:D:D:D Looks like I'm not the only one who cant let something go.:confused::confused: And it was 25 litres of petrol. so as said before please read posts correctly.

Oh deary me oh my.

It looks like you had to edit your post as you didn't "read it correctly" before you posted it.

Three fine noble Red stags in the middle of Killarney town today, grazing away outside the Cathedral without a care in the world.

Wildlife rangers, whose duties take them beyond the park to oversee other protected habitats and species now number just four– less than half the numbers previously employed in the park.

if this happened on a farm the farmer would be locked up he would be faced with big fines and his grants would be gone and any judge would rule that he keep no more animals with the rspca doing annual cheques to make sure , wrightly so ,
    that number of deer didn't double in one year and with regular visits from the npws it is obvious that they cant count does not under stand the ecology of the deer or the surrounding landscape , untrained not fit for purpose is what springs to mind,
    the four wildlife rangers i have never seen must be spending their time around the town park as i have never seen one , photo shoots and the likes i suppose,
    i have permissions only 4 miles west of this island and cant say that numbers are out of control as this has been the the worst year i have had on that bit of ground only seen 8 deer this season there nov-dec-jan, down 50% easily in the last 10 years ,
    this isn't the only island with deer in trouble in kerry , no management is the problem no hunting allowed , inaccessibility, private lands , no shooting , trespassing, are other issues , and the weather this year it is diabolic and if it keeps up it will be farmers with cattle and sheep we will be talking and reading about next month
    viability questions will be answered, stocking numbers adjusted, all leading to more imports , it is what the model dictates ,

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/forestry-enviro/environment/call-for-major-cull-as-deer-causing-havoc-farmers-and-property-owners-say-killarney-deer-are-ruining-lands-36773544.html

here we go again

"They are meant be in Killarney National Park but they are up around holes, 7, 8, 13, and 10 and 11."
    "The biggest problem is their droppings - it is all over everything," he said.
    Between 150 and 200 are living on the scenic golf course eating the green and the fairways and damaging all the plants.
    they must have all moved out of the national park after the last cull, ( health and safety recommendations i would think )
    seriously these people would need to do a recount they the deer cant have all been playing golf at the same time would it have been a tournament
    if only they would move another mile and a half back the road its looking good for next year ha :rolleyes:

Advertisement