Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lambing diagram with ropes

• 21-01-2018 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    A friend gave me lambing ropes and I'm unsure how to use them, I know the legs are looped first but is there a way to loop the head in as well

I remember someone put up a diagram a few years ago but I can't find it now. Any help would be appriaciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Are ya talking about prolapse harness or ropes for pulling lambs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

jd06 wrote: »
    Hi all
    A friend gave me lambing ropes and I'm unsure how to use them, I know the legs are looped first but is there a way to loop the head in as well

I remember someone put up a diagram a few years ago but I can't find it now. Any help would be appriaciated

There is an instrument for putting around the head
    https://www.wynnstayonline.co.uk/livestock/sheep/lambing-aids-and-instruments/lambing-aid-instrument.html
    but I find I get on just as well with a bit of wire that's in an electric 2.5 cable. just pull out one wire and loop it,
    Stiff enough to stay on the head and flexible enough to work with

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭jd06

ganmo wrote:

ganmo wrote:

Ropes for pulling the lambs

jd06 wrote: »
    Ropes for pulling the lambs

You're better to buy the proper instrument, it's cheap any way, first lamb will pay for it. It makes a big difference to be able to pull the head as well

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

http://www.beaverstateplastics.com/lambing_supplies.html

If you scroll down it’s in this link with the instructions, a very handy gadget once you get used to it. I never use leg ropes atal now just snare the head and pull by hand.

• Advertisement

If you scroll down it’s in this link with the instructions, a very handy gadget once you get used to it. I never use leg ropes atal now just snare the head and pull by hand.

I wouldn't use the ropes too often either on the legs, but nice to have them..
    Hard to grip the legs sometimes with the slime, fingers get sore
    also ropes are handy to keep the legs up when you're trying to get the noose on the head.
    sickening to pull the head and discover the leg gone down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I got that a few years ago but could never manage it. Felt like I needed 3 hands to work the thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I got that a few years ago but could never manage it. Felt like I needed 3 hands to work the thing!

Same here

I've 2 lambing ropes with loops at each end. Red tape on one which I use for the head and a leg in each end of the other.

I can't see how you could bring a big lamb out of a tight ewe with that yoke, need to bring legs and head individually to ease them out instead of pulling all together.

orm0nd wrote: »
    Same here

I've 2 lambing ropes with loops at each end. Red tape on one which I use for the head and a leg in each end of the other.

I can't see how you could bring a big lamb out of a tight ewe with that yoke, need to bring legs and head individually to ease them out instead of pulling all together.

That's why I just use a piece of light wire, often thought that if you can use that tool you don't need it, OH uses it brilliantly, gets them out very quick, so used right they must be an advantage,
    That's why I changed my advice in my second post on here. might as well say the right way first

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

orm0nd wrote: »
    Same here

Everyone has their own tricks, I don’t bring all together either in tight ewes just place the legs in the canal by hand and then pull the head in with the snare and then pull all together. I suppose the ewe would naturally bring the three together with the legs just in front of the head. I have a bit of an annoyance with people pulling legs before the head is in the canal, only makes the head go back more iykwim?

• Advertisement

Everyone has their own tricks, I don’t bring all together either in tight ewes just place the legs in the canal by hand and then pull the head in with the snare and then pull all together. I suppose the ewe would naturally bring the three together with the legs just in front of the head. I have a bit of an annoyance with people pulling legs before the head is in the canal, only makes the head go back more iykwim?

Yea and if the canal is tight and the head isn't being pulled it makes it tighter again.

Advertisement