Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance suggestions for getting 17yo behind the wheel?

Options
  • 21-01-2018 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all,
    My daughter (17) has just passed her theory test.. I see some pain coming my wallets way!
    I’ve tried a few brokers and quotes to insure her as a named driver on a 1.4 car are coming in around €2.5k, so not only do I have to get rid of my nice 2.0 car, my insurance is going up five fold.
    Drat (and other four letter expletives)

Anybody gone down this road recently with some pointers or advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Broadsider wrote: »
    Hi all,
    My daughter (17) has just passed her theory test.. I see some pain coming my wallets way!
    I’ve tried a few brokers and quotes to insure her as a named driver on a 1.4 car are coming in around €2.5k, so not only do I have to get rid of my nice 2.0 car, my insurance is going up five fold.

Thanks!

Driving lessons. Lots of them and stay in the instructors car until she has her full license and then have a look again.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Who are you insured with? Aviva have a scheme where you get 12 lessons for €500 and the learner gets 6 months free cover on your policy. Check how much it would be to get yourself insured with Aviva, it might be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Hi all,

Thanks!

Aviva have a great deal called accompanied driver cover or something similar. It's about 500 euros, and includes 13 driving lessons with Aviva, and 6 months insurance (only covered while the owner of the car is accompanying afaik).

Great way to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Broadsider

Thanks for the replies so far folks.

I like the lessons only idea, except I really would like to be able to have her practice with me in the car too.

Re Aviva , they’re def an option but I’ve not been able to get an answer to what happens after 6 months .. I’m stuck with Aviva and they can quote whatever they want to keep my daughter on insurance.
    Or am I missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Is your car a 2.0l? Or a 1.4?

We ended up buying a second smaller car (a 1.2) when our oldest was almost 19. He did the 12 lessons with Aviva which allowed him to be a named driver on my car (the smaller one). He did the test after 6 months and passed. He then was insured at no extra cost for the remaining 6 months of my policy. At renewal it cost €600 to have him on the policy for a year.
    He has now reached 2 years since doing the test. We have added him as named driver to the bigger 2.0l car and it has only cost €300. 2 years ago we were quoted €2,500 for this.
    This is all with Aviva.
    Starting process again with 17 year old... sigh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Also went the Aviva route last year, the lessons & the insurance are good value at 500, it was the easiest & least financially painful option

Re Aviva , they’re def an option but I’ve not been able to get an answer to what happens after 6 months .. I’m stuck with Aviva and they can quote whatever they want to keep my daughter on insurance.
    Or am I missing something ?

http://www.aviva.ie/driving-school/

Have a read at that. She can do a further 3 months and 6 lessons for €200. So that would only leave 3 months of the year. Hopefully after that she will have passed her test and you will have more options

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Cows Go µ wrote: »

Have a read at that. She can do a further 3 months and 6 lessons for €200. So that would only leave 3 months of the year. Hopefully after that she will have passed her test and you will have more options

Also did this as my son failed first time (got cocky) just for info for the OP, when it came to renewal time, May 17, from memory, Aviva were looking for approx 1400/1500 for myself, the Mrs & newly passed son, fully comp on a 1.4, 141 reg civic

OK!
    That clarifies things re what happens on Aviva policies after 6 months. Thanks for your inputs folks.
    My other slight problem (I hope it’s just slight) is that I’ve a bit of a car thing going on and currently own and am insured on a few cars (it’s a disease :p) all are 2 litre and above so unsuitable for named driver .. ive been told by a few insurance companies that they won’t consider me as it’s possible I’m just ‘fronting’ for my daughter seeing as I’ve other cars.
    Bit of a bummer seeing as I’d never contemplate letting her off on her own , but apparently there’s a lot of it out there ...
    I haven’t tried Aviva yet , as I’m afraid of the ‘no’ answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

We have a second small 1 litre car and it cost 320 to have my 20 yr daughter on to the policy by 123. They asked on the phone this is your main car and she has to be accompanied.

• Advertisement

OK!
    That clarifies things re what happens on Aviva policies after 6 months. Thanks for your inputs folks.
    My other slight problem (I hope it’s just slight) is that I’ve a bit of a car thing going on and currently own and am insured on a few cars (it’s a disease :p) all are 2 litre and above so unsuitable for named driver .. ive been told by a few insurance companies that they won’t consider me as it’s possible I’m just ‘fronting’ for my daughter seeing as I’ve other cars.
    Bit of a bummer seeing as I’d never contemplate letting her off on her own , but apparently there’s a lot of it out there ...
    I haven’t tried Aviva yet , as I’m afraid of the ‘no’ answer.

It's not that they are worried about you letting her drive on her own (though that is a concern with all learners which is why Aviva note that in order to be covered, learners must be accompanied). Fronting is about you get a low premium because you are the main driver when in reality the vehicle is for her to drive. This may not be the case for you but it's something that is widely done and the insurers are clamping down on it.

It's not that they are worried about you letting her drive on her own (though that is a concern with all learners which is why Aviva note that in order to be covered, learners must be accompanied). Fronting is about you get a low premium because you are the main driver when in reality the vehicle is for her to drive. This may not be the case for you but it's something that is widely done and the insurers are clamping down on it.

Correct! .. I got that, sorry , I may not have communicated that well.
    As someone who has been a total car nut for the last 30 odd years it comes as a bit of a shock to me to
    A) being on the learning curve once more, this time in terms of figuring out how to insure my daughter and
    B) realising that personally having more than one car is actually an impediment.

PS,Cows, they only go like that in Ceavan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Have just taken up that option myself, so it's a fair deal.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement