Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does a JavaScript developer have in store?

Options
  • 21-01-2018 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello Lads,

As a JavaScript developer one is acquainted with the typical front end programming. Any advice about skills one should upgrade to?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What does one want to upgrade to?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

D3.js visualisation is becoming a big deal in data analysis.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Any interest in exploring server side development with node.js?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pratikmanavi

I would love to explore. How would you rate a professional with experience in JavaScript, EmberJS or ReactJS, HTML5 and test tools such as Selenium in Linux? What's your take on working with with Ruby developers?

• Advertisement

Server side with node JS is an interesting proposition. Also I think working with high-caliber Ruby developers is a good catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

Where do you want to go?

Are you familiar with the use of Promises, Generators and async/await? CSP (Communicating Sequential Processes - 1978) will be the next abstraction to land in JavaScript. It’s the way that GoLang and Clojure handle concurrency. See CSP concepts in Javascript and Exploration of CSP in JS.

If you want to move to a typed language then learn TypeScript. It's Microsoft's effort to bring JavaScript into the O-O fold, endorsed by Google and their language of choice for developing Angular 2+. Flow is Facebook's answer to TypeScript.

If you're already familiar with either of these and are ready to move beyond the JavaScript universe then I would recommend picking up a functional language.

Clojure, Haskell or OCaml would be good places to begin the adventure. Functional programming is mind blowing when you've been in OOP for much of your life, but React has opened people's minds to the potential of functional programming.

Elm and PureScript are Haskell inspired.

BuckleScript (Bloomberg) and ReasonML (Facebook) are from the OCaml realm.

ClojureScript is Clojure for the browser.

Each of these is transpiled to JavaScript so there is a new toolchain to discover, they also have different levels of interoperability with existing JavaScript libraries.

It's only fair to warn you that once you start down the functional programming path you may not want to return to native JavaScript land.

daithimac wrote: »
    D3.js visualisation is becoming a big deal in data analysis.

Knowledge of JavaScript and further nurturing the wisdom brought about through data analysis and visualization, can you connect the dots? Any foresight of career path?

Thank you so much for your reply. I am quite familiar & will surely go deep.
    Talisman wrote: »
    Where do you want to go?

Are you familiar with the use of Promises, Generators and async/await? CSP (Communicating Sequential Processes - 1978) will be the next abstraction to land in JavaScript. It’s the way that GoLang and Clojure handle concurrency. See CSP concepts in Javascript and Exploration of CSP in JS.

If you want to move to a typed language then learn TypeScript. It's Microsoft's effort to bring JavaScript into the O-O fold, endorsed by Google and their language of choice for developing Angular 2+. Flow is Facebook's answer to TypeScript.

If you're already familiar with either of these and are ready to move beyond the JavaScript universe then I would recommend picking up a functional language.

Clojure, Haskell or OCaml would be good places to begin the adventure. Functional programming is mind blowing when you've been in OOP for much of your life, but React has opened people's minds to the potential of functional programming.

Elm and PureScript are Haskell inspired.

BuckleScript (Bloomberg) and ReasonML (Facebook) are from the OCaml realm.

ClojureScript is Clojure for the browser.

Each of these is transpiled to JavaScript so there is a new toolchain to discover, they also have different levels of interoperability with existing JavaScript libraries.

It's only fair to warn you that once you start down the functional programming path you may not want to return to native JavaScript land.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I am impressed with your knowledge and all the inputs received earlier. Could you all please throw some light on your experience?

Why do you ask?

• Advertisement

Yes I would surely want to explore TypeScript. Mobile applications are on the rise and so is use of JavaScript which is replacing HTML5. What languages are best for mobile?

Yes I would surely want to explore TypeScript. Mobile applications are on the rise and so is use of JavaScript which is replacing HTML5. What languages are best for mobile?

I don't think that javascript is replacing HTML 5...
    TypeScript is quick to pick up, adding type safety to JS.

Mobile is a different topic from JS though.

You seem to be jumping from topic to topic OP, are you looking for direction on what area of technology to look at next?

That would depend on what problems you want to solve, and on what type of application you are planning to build.

Remember, a software developer is first and foremost a solutions provider; IMHO it is best to choose the right tool for the right job to meet a solution, rather than for the sake of it, or that is 'trendy'. Just my 2c.

Appreciate & thank you all for the information.

Advertisement