Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a good pre-built rig or should I build something myself?

Options
  • 21-01-2018 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Long story short, have always wanted to have a proper gaming/video editing pc but never had the funds available. Given I've never built a pc before should I opt for the safe pre-built option in the link or would I be better off building my own to get some more worth for my money? (Doesn't look too complicated from some youtube builds I have seen from scratch)

https://www.box.co.uk/Stormforce-Tornado-Desktop_2272259.html

If I was to go the latter route could you recommend the essential parts that I would require. I'm looking for a PC that can handle video editing/gaming/casual + multitasking uses in the 850-1000 euro price point range.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

At first glance that looks terrible for the money but then GPU prices are mental at the moment.

If you can put Ikea furniture together you can build a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That is amazing for the price, and much better value than anything you could build right now.

If it came with a bit more storage it would be great, but you can add that yourself later.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

Great price, the only thing I would change would be to replace that PSU.

for €900 delivered that's whats good at the mo with GPUs the way they are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Alpha8 wrote: »
    Great price, the only thing I would change would be to replace that PSU.

Assuming it's an FSP like the pictures, it'll be fine. Great price though overall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

GPU prices are as they were for pre built systems, best time to buy prebuild is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

sad state of affairs altogether with the price of GPU's and memory that we now have to suggest prebuilt as opposed to self build

Skerries wrote: »
    sad state of affairs altogether with the price of GPU's and memory that we now have to suggest prebuilt as opposed to self build

Well I'm obviously pretty shocked.

As long as we're not suggesting Xbox Ones & PS4s, I'm happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

for €900 delivered that's whats good at the mo with GPUs the way they are?

Yup.

You'd struggle to find those components for that price, and this come assembled!

• Advertisement

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Yup.

You'd struggle to find those components for that price, and this come assembled!

Taking half the fun out of it! :pac:

Take it apart & put it back together again.

Then wonder why you've got 3 extra screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I always feel like I have done a very efficient job when I have screws left over after reassembly!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Spare parts included as my dad would say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

True.

My first "proper" PC was pre-built, but the 3 after that i built myself.
    I'll never go back to pre-built, but its great for nervous newbies to get in.
    Get them interested, then build on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

The irony being, the price hikes for these have come at a time when the CPU market has real competition for the first time in how many years? Since the athlon ii days! If the GPU and memory prices had stayed in line with what they were a year or two ago, this would have been the best time in 20 years as regards bang for buck, but alas no.

Advertisement