Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermostat Multimeter Test

Options
  • 21-01-2018 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello folks,

I am looking for a seasoned electrician who can test my thermostat with a multimeter. I am not just looking for a simple continuity pass test. I would hope to find a person who is knowledgable and skilled enough to tell me whether my thermostat is faulty or not.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Please PM me if you have accurate and reliable information.

Thank you in advance.

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

The only correct way to test a thermostat is with a known heat source and test current. So a thermal bath and a multimeter/mA source essently calibrating it.

Not to many lads might have that gear.

Or...
    If you had a thermal gun or hire one, you could run up the heat source (lets say a boiler or somthing else) and see if its making/breaking the stat with the multimeter at the required set point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jim_A_P

Tuco88 wrote: »
    The only correct way to test a thermostat is with a known heat source and test current. So a thermal bath and a multimeter/mA source essently calibrating it.

Not to many lads might have that gear.

Or...
    If you had a thermal gun or hire one, you could run up the heat source (lets say a boiler or somthing else) and see if its making/breaking the stat with the multimeter at the required set point.

Thank you, Tuco88.

This is exactly what I am looking for. I just need to find the person who has this gear.

I will keep on looking.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Jim_A_P wrote:
    This is exactly what I am looking for. I just need to find the person who has this gear.

Can I ask what thermostat?

If it's for something like an immersion it's as cheap just to replace it if you are concerned.

Many plumbers have thermometers for testing water temperature. They can fill a basin of water and confirm the temperature with their thermometer and then put in your thermostat and test it that way.

It could be far cheaper just to replace the thermostat

Advertisement