Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm Panel Fault

Options
  • 21-01-2018 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

At my wits end with the house alarm. Have a hard wired SW8/12 panel installed since 2006 with no issues. There was no issues with the 12V battery but replaced it anyway last Aug.

4th Jan: Separate circuit to alarm power supply tripped-downstairs lighting &one bulb blown. Reset ok.Possible lightning/external power surge. There was no surge prot.on the main mcb board&alarm panel is not powered via a fused spur.
    5th Jan: Aux. 12V Fuse F2 blown. Replaced & ok.
    6th Jan: Disconnected + & - to all 8 zones, reconnected each zone one-by-one, measuring the 12v each time & ensuring the fuse F2 was still intact. All 8 zones were ok.
    12th Jan: F2 fuse blown again, 6 days later. Alarm had worked ok inbetween. Disconnected 4 zones. Later same day external bell sounded. Incoming 220/12v trafo was red hot.isolated mains &disconnected & removed the trafo which showed signs of overheating.
    13th Jan: Without external power, battery ran out at 2am causing external bell to sound. Replaced battery and unit was ok again. Installed 2nd hand trafo, replaced the F2 fuse & ok again.
    18th Jan: Alarm sounded at 3am. Fuse F2 gone again, after 5 days of normal operation.
    Thought this may have been lightning in the area as there was lightning this night.
    20th Jan: Installed surge prot. on the main board & replaced the F2 fuse yet again.
    21st Jan. Internal trafo gone again, but F2 fuse intact &not blown.

Q. Is it likely a cable fault on one of the zones?
    Q. Why doesn't the fault replicate itself immediately and not after a number of days as it has been doing?
    Q. How come the incoming trafo is fried and the fuse remained intact?
    Q. With no backup battery (&no external mains) is there any way to stop the external saab bell from sounding, or just wait it out until its internal battery runs out?

Thanks for any help in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

piddlyd wrote: »

Q. Is it likely a cable fault on one of the zones?
    Q. Why doesn't the fault replicate itself immediately and not after a number of days as it has been doing?
    Q. How come the incoming trafo is fried and the fuse remained intact?
    Q. With no backup battery (&no external mains) is there any way to stop the external saab bell from sounding, or just wait it out until its internal battery runs out?

Thanks for any help in advance

How many cables are connected into 12v Aux Power & what are they?
    My next move would depend on this answer.
    It might not show up immediately. It could be an intermittent fault or a combination of a couple of devices drawing power.
    The main transformer would be powered through the mains fuse not the 12v Aux one on the board.
    Without getting up the the bell its easier to let it time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 piddlyd

KoolKid wrote: »
    How many cables are connected into 12v Aux Power & what are they?
    My next move would depend on this answer.
    It might not show up immediately. It could be an intermittent fault or a combination of a couple of devices drawing power.
    The main transformer would be powered through the mains fuse not the 12v Aux one on the board.
    Without getting up the the bell its easier to let it time out.

Thanks Koolkid for replying

Just one cable in the + & - for the 12v aux, each feeding a 8 strip connector block, which in turn feed the + & - to each of the 8 zones.
    Yeah i know the main trafo would be powered via the mains fuse, but i thought if the fault existed on the 12v aux circuit downstream the F2 fuse would blow to protect its' circuit?
    I'm guessing disconnecting the + & - to each zone, joining them and doing a continuity check at the opposite end (i.e. the PIR) is the way to go?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So are the 8 zones PiRs?
    As the problem seems to be intermittent a multi meter may not show up anything.
    Try splitting off some of the positives(+) . Say put 2 on with External Bell & 2 with Internal Bell etc , They seeing what fuse blows will narrow it down a lot for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 piddlyd

KoolKid wrote: »
    So are the 8 zones PiRs?
    As the problem seems to be intermittent a multi meter may not show up anything.
    Try splitting off some of the positives(+) . Say put 2 on with External Bell & 2 with Internal Bell etc , They seeing what fuse blows will narrow it down a lot for you.

1 x smoke and the rest are PIR's & reed switches. Traced it to one PIR which when put in circuit would drag the normally 13.4V dc down to 9 v dc. Replaced it & ok since. Thanks for the reply Koolkid

Advertisement