Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is everybody in college seemingly so well off. Apart from me!

• 22-01-2018 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I come from a family in which I am the eldest of 3. I started college in Galway in August. I had accepted months prior that should I get in that I would have to commute on the train every morning I didn't think much of this thinking it was a widely done thing. However months later Ive realised how wrong I was. Everybody on my course is living in student accommodation or in digs something that I simply could not afford. I amn't entitled to any grant. Commuting every morning is simply exhausting having to get up at 6 in the morning for classes at 10 o clock just isn't how I envisaged student life!
    With the hope of ending this predicament I got a job over Christmas and to my surprise I was kept on. I am now working weekends with the money going towards accommodation for next year. I have to make sacrifices in order to achieve this I dont get any time off between college and work but I'm OK with that as I'm playing the long game so to speak. However what slightly annoys and baffles me is that I seem to be the only person on my course who has to make such sacrifices. These people can go out at the drop of a hat and not have to worry about working or saving money etc. They seem to take their privilege for granted. I could only dream of having the lifestyle they have. Where did I go wrong? Any advice anybody could give me at the moment I have literally no social life. I can't go out because I either have to catch a train or have to work long hours. Something seemingly nobody else on my course had to deal with. In many ways I feel that perhaps this is a worthwhile experience and a dose of reality that will serve me well in time. I understand the value of money and a days work more than my more affluent fellow students do. So yeah all in all as I said earlier could anybody give me some advice? Am I the only one in this situation? Surely not! Done get me wrong I knkw there's plenty worse off than me and I appreciate everything I have and get my education included

Advertisement