If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HIFI and AV query

Options
  • 22-01-2018 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi there im looking to downgrade my av setup and at the same time upgrade my hifi setup I currently have a yamaha av amp(rxv1800) and MA Bronze 5.1 setup but due to room layout moving tv to corner and space limitations id like to go to a soundbar for av I like the idea of samsungs hwk950 for this as it still offers real 5.1. I plan to keep my MA BR5 fronts for a stereo pair for now but need a decent amp and streamer. I currently have a seperate room done with sonos connect and kef/marantz setup which I do like but for this room id like to go a bit more dedicated I like the look of the cambridge audio 851 streamer and amp or would you recomend something else. I understsand they are overkill for the speakers but I will get to them eventually. Any advice on amp/streamer soundbar and even speakers to replace my monitor audios appreciated and pricing also thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Stumper931 wrote: »
    Hi there im looking to downgrade my av setup and at the same time upgrade my hifi setup I currently have a yamaha av amp(rxv1800) and MA Bronze 5.1 setup but due to room layout moving tv to corner and space limitations id like to go to a soundbar for av I like the idea of samsungs hwk950 for this as it still offers real 5.1. I plan to keep my MA BR5 fronts for a stereo pair for now but need a decent amp and streamer. I currently have a seperate room done with sonos connect and kef/marantz setup which I do like but for this room id like to go a bit more dedicated I like the look of the cambridge audio 851 streamer and amp or would you recomend something else. I understsand they are overkill for the speakers but I will get to them eventually. Any advice on amp/streamer soundbar and even speakers to replace my monitor audios appreciated and pricing also thanks.
    Hi stumper931,

The Cambridge Audio 851 separates are a very good choice. The Cambridge amps are incredible and that streamer is one of the best I've heard. There aren't many I'd recommend above it except for the Roksan Blak which is about £2800 and doesn't have a dedicated streamer. It is a truly stunning amp though and, paired with the 851N would be an unbeatable set up. I will price for this as well though at the end.

I have heard the HWK950 running and it is very impressive. The wireless rear speakers and Atmos decoding really fill the room and give a level of detail and space that I haven't heard in other soundbars.

You've actually picked some very good equipment and there's not much else around them I can recommend instead!

In terms of pricing I can do the following for you.

Cambridge Audio 851A
    Cambridge Audio 851N
    Samsung HWK950
    Total: £3900 including shipping

Roksan Blak
    Cambridge 851N
    Samsung HWK950
    Total: £5200 including shipping.

For speakers to replace the Monitor Audios I would look at going up the range. The Silvers are a great step up but I could also look at a price on the Gold and Platinum series for you. The Platinums are hands down the best speakers I have heard in store. Even the bookshelf PL100s give great controlled depth and unparalleled detail. The PL100s retail at £2999.95 but I can do a special boards price of £2699.99.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stumper931

Thanks for getting back to me I’m as good as sold on the soundbar it’s the amp streamer combo I still need to think about as a sonos connect into a decent amp/dac may be all I need saving the cost of the streamer.

Thanks for getting back to me I’m as good as sold on the soundbar it’s the amp streamer combo I still need to think about as a sonos connect into a decent amp/dac may be all I need saving the cost of the streamer.
    Hi Stumper,

No problem. The streamer would give a better sound than the Connect but if you need any more information or want to go ahead with the soundbar just let me know!

Kind regards

David

Thanks what’s the best price on the sound bar in €/£. Do ye know of anything being released soon that would match that Samsung. I agree on the streamer sounding better I just want to wait and see the Bristol show to see a bit more about the new arcam hda amps before I commit to anything on the stereo side of things.

One other question do ye sell or could you recommend a pair of stands for the rears in that Samsung soundbar kit. If I go ahead with it I will need some cables also but can sort that later. Thanks.

• Advertisement

One other question do ye sell or could you recommend a pair of stands for the rears in that Samsung soundbar kit. If I go ahead with it I will need some cables also but can sort that later. Thanks.
    Hi Stumper,

The best price I could do would be £1249 or we have a special Euro price of 1249 euro at the moment. I haven't heard of any new Atmos bars slated for release yet.

I wouldn't have any specific stands for the rears however if you're looking for taller stands I would have a look at the Pixel T80 at £59.95.

Let me know what you think.

David

Hi again sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have decided against the sound bar and managed to get a deal on a Marantz sr7012 elsewhere now that it’s in place I need to add / upgrade my 5.1 system but I have decided to go with a 2 channel amp for the fronts and use the av receiver for the other channels. My questions are what stereo amp in the 1 to 2 k range would you recommend it must have av pass through for use in the system. What speaker system would you recommend to upgrade my current old bronze 5.1 to. My plan is full 7.1.4 but in ceilings unfortunately isn’t an option so something like dali alteco or Kef r/q atmos speakers are what I’m thinking. I will be doing this upgrade as finances allow but aim to get started with immediately. I’m happy to wait for special order items so if you can suggest anything not readily in stock. Finally I had initially looked for a streamer but with heos built into the AVR it will be the last item on my list for now. Thanks again.
    Steve.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi again sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have decided against the sound bar and managed to get a deal on a Marantz sr7012 elsewhere now that it’s in place I need to add / upgrade my 5.1 system but I have decided to go with a 2 channel amp for the fronts and use the av receiver for the other channels. My questions are what stereo amp in the 1 to 2 k range would you recommend it must have av pass through for use in the system. What speaker system would you recommend to upgrade my current old bronze 5.1 to. My plan is full 7.1.4 but in ceilings unfortunately isn’t an option so something like dali alteco or Kef r/q atmos speakers are what I’m thinking. I will be doing this upgrade as finances allow but aim to get started with immediately. I’m happy to wait for special order items so if you can suggest anything not readily in stock. Finally I had initially looked for a streamer but with heos built into the AVR it will be the last item on my list for now. Thanks again.
    Steve.
    Hi Steve,

Glad you got sorted with the Marantz! If you don't mind me asking how much did you get it for as we stock this item and could look at the price?

If you are looking fro a good stereo amp to use with your AV system I would recommend the Roksan K3 integrated amp. This does not have an AV pass through (there aren't really many stereo amplifiers that do) but you can use the front pre outs on your 7012 to run the Roksan as a power amp and then switch your inputs for your Hifi sources:

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200990-k3-amp.aspx

The Roksans would be the best stereo amps we stock for sound and build quality.

A natural step up from the Bronze system would be the new Silver 200 5.1 system which is a massive leap in terms of clarity and drive however I could do a good price on the Monitor Audio Gold 5.1 system which are stunning speakers. These have updated drivers and cabinets as well as ribbon tweeters which gives a very smooth sound and great detail on voices. I usually have both Monitor Audio systems in stock so can get these easily. I will send a price for both via PM.

Are you looking for 4 Atmos speakers? The best I've heard are the Kef R50. I haven't heard the Dali Alteca as these are a special order for us but another around the same price I would recommend would be the Elac A4 speakers at £249 per pair.

I will send you a PM with pricing but let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

Thanks David still trying to work out what is the best combination for stereo and av I will be looking for 4 atmos speakers as I am going 7.1.4 so will need to ad 2 channels but I can get to that eventually

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.