Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss Shouting & Work Issue

Options
  • 22-01-2018 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

So recently a work colleague of mine was let go for sexual harrassment claim. The company didn't fire him for months after many compliants of him saying a number of hugely insulting comments.

I have been working through lunch as we are unstaffed. Today my boss shouted in my face as things were a little behind but we need more more staff.

Any ideas what can be done here legally wise? The least I want is an apology but I want to also lodge a complaint but no sure where I can go for this.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There's nothing illegal about shouting yes it's rude but not illegal

Perhaps you can air a grievance with HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Shout back louder!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

In a “normal” company with “normal” standards, HR would have a word with him and make sure it doesn’t happen again, and would follow up if needed.

But I’ve heard that not all HR departments work to the same standards. It might depend on the company, I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Have we come to the point now that if someone is shouted at they feel like they have to go to HR?

Maybe you're not doing a good enough job OP?

Do we all have to be wrapped up in some sort of protective cotton blankets when we leave our houses incase the bad man / woman does something we don't like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

davo2001 wrote: »
    Have we come to the point now that if someone is shouted at they feel like they have to go to HR?

Do we all have to be wrapped up in some sort of protective cotton blankets when we leave our houses incase the bad man / woman does something we don't like?

There should never be any excuse for shouting. I'd say if an employee shouted at a manager it would become an issue very quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

I can’t think of any occasion when it might be acceptable to shout at someone during work.

Maybe that’s just me though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭the sheriff is HERE

first off OP, you shouldn't be working threw YOUR break, it's the company's problem for being understaffed not yours.

On your boss, shouting at you, that's unacceptable, write down on paper now the shouting incident with your boss, dated and signed by you, keep a paper trail, now go to HR and keep a paper trail of that too.

was it you OP who made the complaint about your colleague? not that it should make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

User192 wrote: »
    Hi there,

So recently a work colleague of mine was let go for sexual harrassment claim. The company didn't fire him for months after many compliants of him saying a number of hugely insulting comments.

I have been working through lunch as we are unstaffed. Today my boss shouted in my face as things were a little behind but we need more more staff.

Any ideas what can be done here legally wise? The least I want is an apology but I want to also lodge a complaint but no sure where I can go for this.

If it's a small company tell him to go **** himself and say you will no longer be working your breaks. If it's a large company go to HR.

Edit : not literally of course. Thought this was After Hours. Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Your boss sounds like a pathetic bully OP, cannot believe some people on here find it acceptable.
    Stand up to him and tell him in no uncertain terms that if he ever has a tantrum like that you'll report him
    to HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Did the OP say that his/her boss is male?

Can't see any reference to their gender. But everyone is saying 'him'

The sacked person was male.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Junadl

What are you talking about?! The person had to work through their lunch break and mentioned there is not enough staff. Whhhhy should they have to do that?! Of course the boss should not shout. Kick up the ass the boss needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

1. Start taking your breaks, don't take the piss, just regular breaks.
    2. Ask for a private word with your manager, explain that you do not want to be shouted at again, no matter what the problem is/isnt. Explain if it happens again that you will be making a complaint regarding bullying.

_Brian wrote: »
    2. Ask for a private word with your manager, explain that you do not want to be shouted at again, no matter what the problem is/isnt. Explain if it happens again that you will be making a complaint regarding bullying.

i wouldn't want a private word with the boss, if he shouted at me, straight over their head, and in writing, protect yourself OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

i wouldn't want a private word with the boss, if he shouted at me, straight over their head, and in writing, protect yourself OP.

The resolution of nearly every problem should be tried locally first, if then you have to go up the food chain it makes you look more reasonable having tried first.
    There are some instances this doesn’t work for, but this isn’t one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Rezident

Hi there,

Does your company have a policy on harrassment at work, treating people with dignity in the workplace, intimidation etc.? Most workplaces have craic like this these days, I'd be very surprised if they do not. Make your complaint on these grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

davo2001 - sorry to hear that you have such low self esteem that you think that it's ok for people to shout in your face. Most people would find that utterly unacceptable.

You see the dominant person shouts in the weaker persons face - never the other way round. By taking that abuse you are giving them licence to do it again next time they feel like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I've been shouted at plenty in jobs but can't think of one time where someone shouted in my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There's shouting orders out loud, and then there's shouting in someones face, and there's a big difference between the two.

_Brian wrote: »
    The resolution of nearly every problem should be tried locally first, if then you have to go up the food chain it makes you look more reasonable having tried first.
    There are some instances this doesn’t work for, but this isn’t one.

i see your reasoning, and respectfully disagree, boss shouting at employee, should never be accepted, you are putting yourself in a awkward position by sitting down in 1 to 1, unless maybe you have someone to witness it with minutes taken.

as another poster said, if the shoe was on the other foot, and it was the employee shouting at the boss, you'd be getting your P45.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there,

Do you work for a Small company ? Never ceases to amazes me how everyone automatically thinks you have a HR department or an iT department

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I agree with what _brian said, have a word with your boss and say that you understand everyone is under extra pressure, but it’s not acceptable for him/her to shout in your face. By all means, take a note of instances like this in case it ever needs to go further but hopefully it’s just a once off due to extra pressure at the moment. But let it be known to him/her that you won’t be spoken to in this manner. Draw a line in the sand now because of you let it go, he/she might think you’re a pushover. And take the breaks you’re entititled to, it’s amazing how quickly these things become the norm and before you know it, you’re expected to work without breaks/stay late as an expected standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

one of my team members shouted at me in an office full of staff and used foul language

he was suspended with pay that day, issued with a written warning for gross misconduct and managed out of the business from there

If I had done the same to him I could have expected the same treatment.

its 2018, not 1958, we are not indentured to our employers. Its unacceptable.

From a managers view point I suggest you tell him in an firm but polite way its unacceptable.

His brain will immediately go into 'constructive dismal claim', 'bullying', etc ... mode and rightly so. He'll respect you more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Awful reply. Have you ever been shouted at in the workplace? And felt the fear and humiliation that can come with it? Clearly not if you think you shouldn't take this seriously.

The OP is fully entitled to a safe working environment at all times, its the law and treating someone differently and singling them out is just not acceptable. The fact that the OP was alone as well is worrying because there are no witnesses. OP- I would make a note of the date and time of this incident and comment that you felt undermined and vulnerable. Then if your boss wants a word again and you fear the same treatment, demand a witness and explain you didn't appreciate their manner the last time.

If it continues, 100% lodge a formal complaint with HR and get your union rep involved if you have one. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

mitresize5 wrote: »
    one of my team members shouted at me in an office full of staff and used foul language

he was suspended with pay that day, issued with a written warning for gross misconduct and managed out of the business from there

If I had done the same to him I could have expected the same treatment.

its 2018, not 1958, we are not indentured to our employers. Its unacceptable.

From a managers view point I suggest you tell him in an firm but polite way its unacceptable.

His brain will immediately go into 'constructive dismal claim', 'bullying', etc ... mode and rightly so. He'll respect you more for it.

If you had done the same to him? You woudnt be fired though for it would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

If you had done the same to him? You woudnt be fired though for it would you?

It's a moot point as I wouldn't have done the same to him.

Fired or not my career in that business would be finished one way or the other. And correctly so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

While a manager shouldn’t shout at people, the boss is human too. They’re understaffed, perhaps the manager is being kicked around by their boss but given no extra resources to do the job properly. If it’s a habit or if it’s part of an ongoing pattern of behaviour then I’d look at a complaint. Otherwise, I’d speak to the manager directly.

The OP should also ask what the manager was shouting at them for. While not an acceptable method of communication, did the manager have a point?

I don’t agree with this tendency to run to HR at the first sign of trouble or incident. It creates an atmosphere of distrust and a culture of CYA at all costs.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    The OP should also ask what the manager was shouting at them for. While not an acceptable method of communication, did the manager have a point?

How about this: f**k him and f**k his reasons for shouting in your face.

How about this: f**k him and f**k his reasons for shouting in your face.

Classy response.

How about this. Lets assume that the OP massively f**ked something up. That something is going to get the boss kicked around the place by his boss.

Lets assume the manager is under severe pressure coz he lost a team member in a sexual harassment case and he’s being expected to do the same with less. He’s also just had to sack that team member.

That’s a lot of stress to be under. Shouting at someone is not acceptable and if it’s a pattern of behaviour, it should be addressed.

However, if it’s a one off occurrence, if the OP f**ked something up then I’d be looking myself in the mirror as much as anything if I was in the OP’s shoes. Jesus are we all so soft that we can’t allow our co-workers to be human and take a bit of a bollocking without rushing off to hide behind HR?

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Classy response.

How about this. Lets assume that the OP massively f**ked something up. That something is going to get the boss kicked around the place by his boss.

Lets assume the manager is under severe pressure coz he lost a team member in a sexual harassment case and he’s being expected to do the same with less. He’s also just had to sack that team member.

That’s a lot of stress to be under. Shouting at someone is not acceptable and if it’s a pattern of behaviour, it should be addressed.

However, if it’s a one off occurrence, if the OP f**ked something up then I’d be looking myself in the mirror as much as anything if I was in the OP’s shoes. Jesus are we all so soft that we can’t allow our co-workers to be human and take a bit of a bollocking without rushing off to hide behind HR?

You're really throwing some good ideas out there aren't you? Why don't you write a play or something? Perhaps the boss had just come up with a cure for cancer that also closes the hole in the ozone layer and the employee deleted it by downloading some memes off the internet...... and during working hours too!! Actually this making up a whole story around a couple of vague facts is fun isn't it? Go on - your go now.

• Advertisement

You're really throwing some good ideas out there aren't you? Why don't you write a play or something? Perhaps the boss had just come up with a cure for cancer that also closes the hole in the ozone layer and the employee deleted it by downloading some memes off the internet...... and during working hours too!! Actually this making up a whole story around a couple of vague facts is fun isn't it? Go on - your go now.

Woooosh.

I’ve exaggerated what’s likely true to make a point.

The point I’m making is this. Managers are people too. They have stresses and problems that employees don’t see. Sometimes they’ll react like they’re human. It’s not right but if it’s an isolated incident, running off all offended to HR is just a gutless act.

To flip this, as a manager, you’re always taught that if an employee starts underperforming out of the blue, you try to understand what’s causing the problem. It could be that he can’t pay the mortgage, the wife is cheating on him, one of the kids is sick. You always try to find out what’s going on because, best will in the world, personal problems can influence professional behaviour. I’m sure as an employee, you’d like your manager to take that approach if you had problems.

Now, I know the relationship here is different but in my view, if this is an isolated incident and out of character, the OP is better served talking to his manager rather than running off to HR.

Advertisement