Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss Shouting & Work Issue

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

... if you are confronting the shouter in private about the shouting episode.

Loud, mouthy individuals can become violent and nasty when confronted by people who won't take nonsense and want to vindicate their rights to a peaceful and harmonious workplace.

I have had bitter experience from both sides of the fence due to a life long curse of high functioning autism.

I was warned for shouting and being abusive to fellow members of staff. I had to take anger management counselling to avoid further outbreaks.

I also on another occasion confronted a senior staff member for shouting at me and was lucky not to be hit in reply. Always have a colleague to act as witness and keep the bully from doing something more serious. Because the staff member was more qualified and more useful to the company than I no action was taken on foot of the incident, how I wish I had a witness......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Lol so many typical Irish responses, I swear we we're bred to be subservient and think we all deserve and should even enjoy a 'regular bollicking'.

Any time I've been shouted at during work I would ask the person if they can speak up, does their head in and there's not much they can do as it's not like you said go effort yourself or anything really rude.

I've also found that generally people who are so unprofessional as to shout at employees, rarely will fire or discipline an employee for shouting right back. On some level they know they set the bad example shouting first. It's not an ideal work environment but sometimes being able to give it as good as them will work out better than going to a useless HR rep. Basically you mirror your boss and he then thinks you're just as stressed/passionate/whatever as him.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Woooosh.

It could be that he can’t pay the mortgage, the wife is cheating on him, one of the kids is sick. ......

The point I'm making is that the bully always knows who's face he can roar into doesn't he? The bully picks his target. It's very unlikely that, even under the stresses you suggest he may be under, that he'd march into his bosses office and shout into his/her face. If he did he could add unemployment to his list of woes.

I'm never in favour of the "lets try to understand the bully" the poor aul cratur. Hence my earlier response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

The point I'm making is that the bully always knows who's face he can roar into doesn't he? The bully picks his target. It's very unlikely that, even under the stresses you suggest he may be under, that he'd march into his bosses office and shout into his/her face. If he did he could add unemployment to his list of woes.

I'm never in favour of the "lets try to understand the bully" the poor aul cratur. Hence my earlier response.

Now we've jumped to "bullying"?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Now we've jumped to "bullying"?

I thought that it was a given that a manager who shouts into the face of an employee further down the pecking order is by definition a bully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I thought that it was a given that a manager who shouts into the face of an employee further down the pecking order is by definition a bully.

No it's not. Bullying, in a workplace context, is repeated behaviour. There is nothing in the OP to indicate that's the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I worked in a place like that.
    Understaffed, underresourced, constant pressure and shouted at.
    Had I not needed the money I wouldn't even have stayed there, as I saw the first second I walked in the door it was a sh*thole.
    Leave, leave, leave! Get the flock out of there OP, don't try to toughen it out, don't hope it gets better, don't think you owe them anything.
    I left my sh*t job for one that paid 7 grand less and it nearly ruined me financially, but it was my break into IT. I steadily worked my way up and I am now in a fantastic job with great bosses and colleagues.
    A sh*thole will always be a sh*thole, don't think it will change. I was shouted at like a dog in the street in that job. When I sent my letter of resignation, I did not even get a reply.
    You know what? I didn't want one. Leaving and bettering myself was the best thing I ever did.
    You can do better OP! The only way is up. Buff up your CV now.
    You know what happened to the guys in the crap job? They were all let go and the German cnuts that owned the place cheated all of them out of their redundancy money.
    That is after they fired half of them previously (cheated them too) and replaced them with cheaper Polish guys. That's not the fault of the Poles, but the criminals who owned the place.
    Get out, get out, get out.

Advertisement