Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CV Review for Software Developer

Options
  • 22-01-2018 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. I had this thread over on Work & Jobs, and was recommended to also post it here, in case anyone involved in IT recruitment might see it.

Could you please have a look at my CV and let me know if anything should be added, dropped or reorganised? I've taken out any personal information.

Thanks very much!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gCrhJpVZYYtjPsq_iqQvOQg38ktnpMh_OcGAAJkBvhM/edit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I took a look and there are probably a few things that could be reorganised or rephrased depending on what type of role you are looking for. To me it reads reasonably well, but might be a bit text heavy in the paragraphs and some of the bulleted points could be combined or might not be applicable for whatever role you are applying for.

I recently had cause to revisit my cv and one of the articles that I came across was this. It's a reasonable few years old now and came from a "how to get a job in google link" but I found it a good read. It's quite strict, and I wouldn't follow everything in it verbatim - time has moved on and all that, but I reworded and removed a few redundant sentences in my document.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Looks a bit bare and sounds generic to me. You need to **** it up a bit. Throw in some businessy language that will keep the HR/recruiting drones happy because that's all your CV is really trying to get past.

I'd tailor the CV for each job you're applying for and literally use every keyword they mention in the job spec. That's all they're going to look for anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'd put skills and technologies in bullet points so they can be reviewed super quick. That way the reader will know that you have something that they're looking for.

I'd also change: Continue duties from Software Developer Role to Promoted to this position from Software Developer role. It is kind of obvious anyway I guess, but highlight that this happened, and make it the first bullet point on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Evil Phil wrote: »
    I'd put skills and technologies in bullet points so they can be reviewed super quick. That way the reader will know that you have something that they're looking for.

I'd also change: Continue duties from Software Developer Role to Promoted to this position from Software Developer role. It is kind of obvious anyway I guess, but highlight that this happened, and make it the first bullet point on the list.

Cheers. On the promotion point, I wanted to highlight that it involved additional responsibilities while continuing the development work, as opposed to dropping the development and being purely manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

some folks on here: http://irishtechcommunity.com are recruiters/in recruitment and they are usually happy to review cvs.
    join us on the slack if you aren't there already :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Hi OP,

Your CV reads well and 5 years of experience is cool, similar to me. As others have said, I do feel it is a little bare and light on technical detail.

My suggestion would be to try ands strip back a bit of the text walls and replace with bullet points highlighting the really technical points. Also remember "inverted pyramid" - the top of the page is the most valuable real estate. I think your name / details takes up a little too much vertical space, you could probably reduce by 50% and have the same effect.

P.S. By the time I got to the end, I was really hating on that font lol, maybe that is just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

As mentioned, change that annoying font. I'm sure you've got some great experience, but you need to shout it out. What *exactly* did you design/implement/do in your roles? You should be able to point at something and say "that's mine!" - if you have something like that, it'll make your CV pop. Also, I always look for references to Git or Sourceforge or similar repositories. And have you done any giveback like CoderDojo or Silver Surfers? They are real door openers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Cheers for the feedback folks. Had a pretty shaky screening call where I'd forgotten some of the first-year-college terminology, that knocked me back a bit and I've been doing some study to brush up on that side of things.
    I've redone the CV without using one of google's premade templates, think it looks a lot cleaner now.

I haven't any Git or Sourceforge stuff, nor have I done any CoderDojo type things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

TPD wrote: »
    Cheers for the feedback folks. Had a pretty shaky screening call where I'd forgotten some of the first-year-college terminology, that knocked me back a bit and I've been doing some study to brush up on that side of things.

Yes, these types of interview questions can be challenging. Challenging in the sense that you often overlook basics such as algorithms and data structures as you don't typically re-implement the basic stuff in your day job. Then when an interviewer hits you with that stuff you're like "eh...". Then afterwards you kick yourself for not flicking through your college notes.

If you are interested in a book I can recommend < http://www.crackingthecodinginterview.com/ > - This book is near industry standard I think for helping candidates get even the most advanced roles.

Good luck!

Advertisement