Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Point appeal?

• 22-01-2018 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Guys, just looking for a bit of advice.
    I was stopped recently and issued with 2 penalty points. I was coming onto a dual carriageway towards dublin. The car in front was doing 40km and braking every so often, so when I got down to the ramp, both of us moved into the middle lane and I proceeded to continue into the overtaking lane (Nothing behind me when checking the mirrors). 2 seconds later, blues behind me. Got pulled over and he started questioning did I know why I was being stopped i said no. He started screaming that I was getting penalty points and told me that i should have stopped in the middle lane and then moved across, but the car in front was going to cause an accident i needed to get out of the way. He never said he was doing me for (A) (B) (C). Just said ''YOU CAN'T DO THAT''. Didn't get a chance to explain because of his shouting.

Anyone think I should appeal as I felt I was in a dangerous situation? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd wait to see what drops through the letter box, if anything does, before worrying about appealing

Edit its not appealing you are pleading not guilty to whatever you are charged with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dea3245

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'd wait to see what drops through the letter box, if anything does, before worrying about appealing

Edit its not appealing you are pleading not guilty to whatever you are charged with.

Didn't even think of that. He was pretty adamant that I'm getting them and then sped off doing the exact same thing as me, straight into the 3rd lane. But sure we'll see. Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Once you receive fixed penalty notice, you have a choice to agree with it and pay it, or disagree with it, not pay it, and chellenge it in court.

I don't think there is any other way of appealing a fine and points.

BTW - where did the garda car come from?
    You said you checked your mirrors and there was nothing there, and then suddenly 2 seconds later there was blue lights flashing garda car right behind you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dea3245

CiniO wrote: »
    Once you receive fixed penalty notice, you have a choice to agree with it and pay it, or disagree with it, not pay it, and chellenge it in court.

I don't think there is any other way of appealing a fine and points.

BTW - where did the garda car come from?
    You said you checked your mirrors and there was nothing there, and then suddenly 2 seconds later there was blue lights flashing garda car right behind you?

There is yeah, it's on the garda website. You apply to have it cancelled. Yeah, obviously I don't mean there was NOTHING behind me. But there was a suitable gap with cars a good bit back and then obviously he sped up and put the blues on. Not that hard to figure out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Speeding up and sticking the blues on might take more than 2 seconds,could it be at all that he was in the third lane at full speed and had to slow up when you pulled in front of him? Hard to understand why he would react that way otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,561 ✭✭✭✭vectra

This a possibility??

objects-in-mirror-are-closer.jpg

Advertisement