Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting

Options
  • 22-01-2018 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

My lease is up in April & the landlord ha to give me 56 days notice of leaving the house, do I still have to pay that or what way does it work

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

If you're living in the house you have to pay rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Steelo90 wrote: »
    My lease is up in April & the landlord ha to give me 56 days notice of leaving the house, do I still have to pay that or what way does it work

If it's a valid notice you have to leave by that date. What was your original lease term and What reason has landlord cited for termination (family member/own use, selling property,renovation, not wanting to give a further part iv.).

Talk to landlord about what happens if you find a place in a three weeks for example and see what he says

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Steelo90

She said "family moving in" but it's because I asked for work to be done & they didn't like it because they didn't do the work so I got in contact with the rental board & they sent a letter out, if she told me at the end of April to move out without those days notice what would the best thing to do

She said "family moving in" but it's because I asked for work to be done & they didn't like it because they didn't do the work so I got in contact with the rental board & they sent a letter out, if she told me at the end of April to move out without those days notice what would the best thing to do

Looks like things are a bit acrimonious here and looks like any relationship has broken down. Did you get the notice in writing? Did you get a statutory declaration of who is moving in etc. What work wouldn't the LL do? It's unfair to punish you for not wanting to do work that needs to be completed and spuriously using family moving in as an excuse

Browney7 wrote: »
    Looks like things are a bit acrimonious here and looks like any relationship has broken down. Did you get the notice in writing? Did you get a statutory declaration of who is moving in etc. What work wouldn't the LL do? It's unfair to punish you for not wanting to do work that needs to be completed and spuriously using family moving in as an excuse
    it's been broken this last few months, dampness, fixing electrical fault, putting in vents, insulation the roof properly & the list goes on. No didn't get it in a notice & didn't get a declaration of who is moving it should I get one?

• Advertisement

it's been broken this last few months, dampness, fixing electrical fault, putting in vents, insulation the roof properly & the list goes on. No didn't get it in a notice & didn't get a declaration of who is moving it should I get one?

It's not a valid notice without one but would you really want to stay where you are in substandard accommodation?

It's not a valid notice without one but would you really want to stay where you are in substandard accommodation?

Was moving out anyway because it's not the best house to be raising a 2year old in, was just wondering about the rent for those 56 days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Best to just get out of there so. Let the council know about the substandard issues cause guaranteed they won't be fixed for the "family" moving in.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Best to just get out of there so. Let the council know about the substandard issues cause guaranteed they won't be fixed for the "family" moving in.

The council knows about it still noting done

Was moving out anyway because it's not the best house to be raising a 2year old in, was just wondering about the rent for those 56 days

Pay for how long you are there but if the LL starts to try mess you around with deposit retention etc I'd be opening an RTB case fairly pronto citing breach of landlord obligations. Make sure you've somewhere to go!

I'd also recommend all future interactions to be in writing only OP so you've a paper trail. Did you ask for issues to be rectified in writing?

• Advertisement

Pay for how long you are there but if the LL starts to try mess you around with deposit retention etc I'd be opening an RTB case fairly pronto citing breach of landlord obligations. Make sure you've somewhere to go!

I've already got the forms to do that & get a meeting with them

I'd also recommend all future interactions to be in writing only OP so you've a paper trail. Did you ask for issues to be rectified in writing?
    Already started down that road & what does op mean? Yeah wrote her a letter with the obligations & the laws about breaching the contract

Already started down that road & what does op mean? Yeah wrote her a letter with the obligations & the laws about breaching the contract

OP - Original Poster. Best of luck. Based on what you've said here (provided you have flagged all deficiencies in good time), the LL should be delighted for you to find somewhere new and shouldn't make the move difficult - otherwise he/she is going to be tied in knots/hassle

OP - Original Poster. Best of luck. Based on what you've said here (provided you have flagged all deficiencies in good time), the LL should be delighted for you to find somewhere new and shouldn't make the move difficult - otherwise he/she is going to be tied in knots/hassle
    Well thanks for your help it helped a lot ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

Don't need a reference from your landlord in future?

It looks like what's going on is that your landlord has decided, probably due to rent controls that he doesn't want to spend money on the property while it's under rent controls. I bet he has decided better to just do a proper renovation to break the lock on the rent rather than spend money in the meantime.

If you need a reference going forward you kind of should just go with the flow. Do you really want to stay if you find it that bad?

KellyXX wrote: »

It looks like what's going on is that your landlord has decided, probably due to rent controls that he doesn't want to spend money on the property while it's under rent controls. I bet he has decided better to just do a proper renovation to break the lock on the rent rather than spend money in the meantime.

If you need a reference going forward you kind of should just go with the flow. Do you really want to stay if you find it that bad?
    He just doesn't want to do the work, he owns next door too me which is s 2story house & doesn't fix anything in that house either, no not really but when you can't afford anywhere else you take what you can get

KellyXX wrote: »

Not an excuse for abdicating his responsibilities to fix and remediate problems. If he was plotting on renovating why not cite that to his tenant? It's landlords like this guy that make politicians create more legislation where it shouldn't be needed.

If he wants the OP gone, he would be a foolish man to give the op a poor reference wouldn't he?

That said, the OP will find it difficult to find any place in the current climate. Once the OP finds alternative accommodation they should move on and never look back

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

Not an excuse for abdicating his responsibilities to fix and remediate problems. If he was plotting on renovating why not cite that to his tenant? It's landlords like this guy that make politicians create more legislation where it shouldn't be needed.

If he wants the OP gone, he would be a foolish man to give the op a poor reference wouldn't he?

That said, the OP will find it difficult to find any place in the current climate. Once the OP finds alternative accommodation they should move on and never look back

Oh he will give them a glowing reference. But their landlord after the next one might want a reference and you can practically gaurauntee that when he speaks to this landlord the tenant won't be getting the house if they cause him trouble. And as you said, in this climate, best not to rock the boat. I know how emotional it can be, but when I was in that position I was all over the place, but in the end looks at it from everyone's point of view and it worked out.

Advertisement