Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honey - gone off?

Options
  • 22-01-2018 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭

Hi,

See attached 2 pictures.
    It’s a plastic jar of honey. Expiry date = February 2021.

Might be hard to see, but does the honey look gone off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi,

See attached 2 pictures.
    It’s a plastic jar of honey. Expiry date = February 2021.

Might be hard to see, but does the honey look gone off?

No picture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Isnt honey that substance that cant 'go off' as such. Remember hearing somthing along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Honey can't go off.
    If it's crystallized just heat it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

It's just crystallised. With a glass jar of honey you can just sit it into a pot of warm/hot water and just leave it there til the crystals dissolve back in to the honey - I'm not sure if you could do that with a plastic bottle (it might melt!) so I'd say just squeeze it into a jar or cup and place that in warm water. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I've never seen a half used jar of honey that DIDN'T look like that. Why on earth do you think it's gone off??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

benjamin d wrote: »
    I've never seen a half used jar of honey that DIDN'T look like that. Why on earth do you think it's gone off??

Well whoopi do. god you must know everything.

obviously I haven’t seen a jar of honey like this before which is why I’m asking the question in the first place.

I thought it was gone off due to the way it looked - what I now know is crystallisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

Honey doesnt expire, but then again that's not honey, Its mass produced sugar syrup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Honey doesnt expire, but then again that's not honey, Its mass produced sugar syrup.

Yep, courtesy of Netflix :)

GreeBo wrote: »
    Honey can't go off.
    If it's crystallized just heat it a bit.

Thank you.

dee_mc wrote: »
    It's just crystallised. With a glass jar of honey you can just sit it into a pot of warm/hot water and just leave it there til the crystals dissolve back in to the honey - I'm not sure if you could do that with a plastic bottle (it might melt!) so I'd say just squeeze it into a jar or cup and place that in warm water. Be grand.

Thank you.

How long to leave it in the water, just a few minutes. Or does it take hours and fresh hot water ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

tedpan wrote:
    Yep, courtesy of Netflix

Haven't watched Rotten yet, I'm a Beekeeper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭bmc58

Honey NEVER goes "off".Just sit it in a bowl of hot water and it resumes it's proper form.Honey found in the tombs of the Pharoes of Egypt was perfectly edible .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

bmc58 wrote: »
    .Honey found in the tombs of the Pharoes of Egypt was perfectly edible .

Jiminy. Who found that out, and how?
    Braver than me!

Also - to put the cat among the beekeepers - honey can carry botulism spores; (that's why you should never feed it to babies under a certain age.)
    So if it was in a Pyramid with how-many corpses, for millennia...er...I wouldn't have tried it. Just saying.

Whereas your modern honey in a jar, yep it gets crystally, - place in micro or pot of warm water until the grains melt, grand again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Jiminy. Who found that out, and how?
    Braver than me!

Also - to put the cat among the beekeepers - honey can carry botulism spores; (that's why you should never feed it to babies under a certain age.)
    So if it was in a Pyramid with how-many corpses, for millennia...er...I wouldn't have tried it. Just saying.

Whereas your modern honey in a jar, yep it gets crystally, - place in micro or pot of warm water until the grains melt, grand again.

That's correct, but I believe it can only hold a tiny tiny amount, not enough to do harm to a healthy person over 12 months. I read it somewhere some time ago. Maybe I can find it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭ForestFire

fresh hot water ?

I hope your allowed the odd lighthearted joke in here....
    I gonna take a chance.....

No it needs to be natural volcanic water heated at source from the Icelandic hot springs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Thank you.

How long to leave it in the water, just a few minutes. Or does it take hours and fresh hot water ?

Maybe 30 minutes? Ive never timed it, or had to change the water. Give it the odd stir.

ForestFire wrote: »
    I hope your allowed the odd lighthearted joke in here....
    I gonna take a chance.....

No it needs to be natural volcanic water heated at source from the Icelandic hot springs.

Oops. Knew when I typed that it was wrong. Maybe I should have said, do I have to change the water after a while to keep it hot etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Haven't watched Rotten yet, I'm a Beekeeper

You know he craic then! Have a watch

Advertisement