Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rat problem

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Just because the blocks were gone doesn't mean they were eaten .most poisons take about 3days to kill.rats store the blocks in the meantime

I do feel like being a bit sarcastic sometimes :o The rats can't take the blocks because the poison blocks have holes through them and are held in the bait stations on a length of wire.

The whole point of a bait station is to make the rats eat the poison where its put out so they can't take it away and leave it somewhere that another species can eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

Quick one for you all. I suspected I had a rat knocking about the place. I had it confirmed today when I seen it feed on wild seed i threw out for the birds. I set a basic wooden rat trap out the back. Within 1 hr the rat set off the trap but got away. Will the rat be wery of that trap Now? Poison is not really an option due to young kids and a pup.

I'm sure he fecker was living it up in my compost bin. I've since got rid of it and I'm sure the rat has taking up residents in the housing of my kero burner.

Yes, I had that issue, I put a trap they were familiar with in the sewer and they just did a uturn and burrowed out a different way, I couldn't believe they were that clever. My answer to that was using 4 different types of traps. And different types of bait. I used peanut butter and Nutella. Be careful with traps outside, make sure no child or other animal can get access to it. Rat poison in pipes along walls/fense might be more productive. Fix it into the pipes so they can't carry the whole block away. Alternatively just buy a few purpose made bait stations

I got a few of these from amazon, found them good value
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00XL382T4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520152868&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=rat+bait+box&dpPl=1&dpID=510GmGmbLBL&ref=plSrch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

peneau wrote: »

+1 for the rat flap.
    Had them coming into the house through the sewer and installed one of these and it worked over night. Kept traps and poison set to monitor the situation and noticed the poison being gnawed a few weeks later. Set more traps and caught a mouse, a sign the rats were truly gone. Sealed up a couple of small holes and put rodent mesh on a vent and no rodents since. Still monitor the poison and traps for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

ondarack wrote:
    OK, so a bit of an update. I have still not caught to bastard, I have 100% identified the entry/exit point, I have packed the hole with sand and it dug out again. I have about 12 traps set in the attic and no joy up there. I also set 4 traps in the sewer for 2 days while we were not at home but the cute whore did a u turn and dug out under the footpath. I had to remove the traps from the sewer for obvious reasons. So my question is, is the rat exiting during the day and entering at night? I don't want to block him in but I would like to block him out. Or even better poison him on his way out and keep him out. I kinda think he is inside at night because I set the traps in the sewer early in the morning and there was no way in or out without setting 1 off hence why it burrowed out a different way. I also have poison fixed in pipes outside around the back and none of this was touched until the past week when 1 pipe seems to be eaten, I've added more to it yesterday evening.

When packing up the hole mix broken glass in with it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Probably too late at this stage but it can be worth checking in the snow to see if there are any obvious rat runs.

I noticed this morning that there was no rat activity in our chicken run because the snow is still pristine around the old shed wall the rats often use as home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

my3cents wrote: »
    I do feel like being a bit sarcastic sometimes :o The rats can't take the blocks because the poison blocks have holes through them and are held in the bait stations on a length of wire.

The whole point of a bait station is to make the rats eat the poison where its put out so they can't take it away and leave it somewhere that another species can eat it.
    Excellent idea the blocks that I got had no holes in them so just put down a few at a time

Advertisement