Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fix for 10 years at 3.3%

Options
  • 22-01-2018 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Post tracker world mortgage 3.9% variable

Bank offer 3% 5 or 10 years fixed at 3.3% as my LTV is now below 60% (closer to 50%)

Def think I should go 10. Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Thread on AAM on the topic here:
    https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/10-year-fixed-mortgages.206771/

I'm with you - think it's a very attractive offer.
    My only concern is that today's announcement by the government might put downward pressure on fixed rates in the near future. Locking in at 3.3%, while decent, would be a bit of a sickner if rates were to drop in a couple month's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Switch to AIB,
    The variable rate for LTV <50% is 2.75%. Think the next band is 2.95%

Don't know about the likelyhood of rates rising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I'm in the process of fixing with KBC for 10 years @ 2.95, with a similar LTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Post tracker world mortgage 3.9% variable

Bank offer 3% 5 or 10 years fixed at 3.3% as my LTV is now below 60% (closer to 50%)

Are you currently on a tracker?

If so why are you coming off of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I'm thinking of checking with bank. We have 3 years left on fixed at 3.85% but will have to way up costs of breaking with what can be saved over the time. I would be very surprised if we could get near 3% fixed rate in 3 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

ForestFire wrote: »
    Are you currently on a tracker?

If so why are you coming off of it?

No. I’m on a “post-tracker world” mortgage.

If I had a tracker I wouldn’t have a 52% LTV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭ForestFire

no problem, Just checking there are a lot of people "post tracker world" that should not have ever been there....I think there is a 1 billion redress scheme for that....

ForestFire wrote: »
    no problem, Just checking there are a lot of people "post tracker world" that should not have ever been there....I think there is a 1 billion redress scheme for that....

Yes and I hope they all get suitably and swiftly compensated

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I’ve just had a valuation done on my house to get a lower rate with KBC. We’ll be less than 50% LTV. Is this rate including the 0.2% discount for a current account with KBC? Did they volunteer this rate to you?
    It’s a good deal & I would definitely go with this if it’s offered to us. We’re in our forever home so not too worried about fixing for 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

April 73 wrote: »
    I’ve just had a valuation done on my house to get a lower rate with KBC. We’ll be less than 50% LTV. Is this rate including the 0.2% discount for a current account with KBC? Did they volunteer this rate to you?
    It’s a good deal & I would definitely go with this if it’s offered to us. We’re in our forever home so not too worried about fixing for 10 years.

We fixed for ten years with KBC. The 2.95% rate is including the 0.2% discount and is <50% LTV. The 50-60% LTV band is very similar if not the same. Rate was volunteered and they're doing slightly better rates for new punters AFAIK.

To answer the OP there are better deals out there.

• Advertisement

The cost of changing mortgage (legal fees etc) would negate any saving between KBC and BOI for me so prob go the 10 year fixed with BOI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

The cost of changing mortgage (legal fees etc) would negate any saving between KBC and BOI for me so prob go the 10 year fixed with BOI

KBC offer €3,000 towards legal fees for switcher up to 31st March.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Couple of things.

You say your at a 52% LTV. Is that the mortgage based off a current house valuation? I think the best thing you can do is get yourself below 50 as quick as possible. Either through a new house valuation or using savings you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

We fixed for ten years with KBC. The 2.95% rate is including the 0.2% discount and is <50% LTV. The 50-60% LTV band is very similar if not the same. Rate was volunteered and they're doing slightly better rates for new punters AFAIK.

To answer the OP there are better deals out there.

Thanks so much. Great to have that confirmed.

Couple of things.

You say your at a 52% LTV. Is that the mortgage based off a current house valuation? I think the best thing you can do is get yourself below 50 as quick as possible. Either through a new house valuation or using savings you might have.

I never said 52%...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I never said 52%...

Must have misinterpreted the above. If your loan was valued against the property 15 years ago, then its pretty likely that your current selling value puts you well under 50%. And the best interest rates will always be under 50%, so it would be best to revalue now even with your current provider.

Must have misinterpreted the above. If your loan was valued against the property 15 years ago, then its pretty likely that your current selling value puts you well under 50%. And the best interest rates will always be under 50%, so it would be best to revalue now even with your current provider.

5 years ago.

I mistyped 50-60% LTV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I think it's a good time to fix OP, I have fixed myself

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thereality

I personally would not fix. Our mortgages are still far too high compared to mainland Europe. The Government just announced a mortgage scheme, that will put downward pressure on banks. A few pension funds are claiming that they want to issue mortgages here. With ECB until likely to hike rates for about a year.

I would wait 6-9 months to see what happens in the market. You could definitely refinance your variable in the meantime

• Advertisement

As another poster has said, KBC are offering 3k to switch and the advisor I'm dealing with said he'd be 99% sure they'll extend the offer past the current march deadline as they have done this a few times already.

I switched to AIB variable last year and after legal fees and valuation I still pocketed 600e of their 2k switching fee.

thereality wrote:
    I personally would not fix. Our mortgages are still far too high compared to mainland Europe. The Government just announced a mortgage scheme, that will put downward pressure on banks. A few pension funds are claiming that they want to issue mortgages here. With ECB until likely to hike rates for about a year.

Have to admit the government's 2% offer definitely has me rethinking the 10 year but then again I just can't seeing it being a loser over that length of time.

Tis a gamble at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

As another poster has said, KBC are offering 3k to switch and the advisor I'm dealing with said he'd be 99% sure they'll extend the offer past the current march deadline as they have done this a few times already.

I switched to AIB variable last year and after legal fees and valuation I still pocketed 600e of their 2k switching fee.

How much did legal fees cost? I'm looking for someone cheap to do the switch

dar100 wrote:
    How much did legal fees cost? I'm looking for someone cheap to do the switch

1200e with O'Brien Ronayne Sols in Tallaght village

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Does anyone have any experience with Direct Law Solicitors for switcher legal fees ? They're quoting €450 + VAT.

It should be straightforward after having it done before I'd have thought ?

I took 3.3% for ten years. My mortgage isn’t huge so wasn’t worth the hassle changing for a few euro.

Colking wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with Direct Law Solicitors for switcher legal fees ? They're quoting €450 + VAT.

It should be straightforward after having it done before I'd have thought ?

Anyone??? thats a grand price, with my breakage fee of 2, 500 and that price for solicitor I could cover all costs with the 3,000 kick back from KBC for switching, I assume KBC give the whol 3,000 regardless how much is spent on legal fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

dar100 wrote:
    Anyone??? thats a grand price, with my breakage fee of 2, 500 and that price for solicitor I could cover all costs with the 3,000 kick back from KBC for switching, I assume KBC give the whol 3,000 regardless how much is spent on legal fees?

dar100 wrote:

Yes. They'll just lodge it to your account.

RTT wrote: »
    Yes. They'll just lodge it to your account.

I'll go that route, however, if I inform AIB of the situation do you think they'll counter offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

dar100 wrote:
    I'll go that route, however, if I inform AIB of the situation do you think they'll counter offer?

I've no idea. You could try that and see what they say. Best of luck.

Advertisement