Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.T. Lecturer (institute of technology)

Options
  • 22-01-2018 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

I am qualified mechanic (FETAC LVL 6)

Is there any path for me to getting the degree/diploma needed to lecture through night classes. I don't want to actually teach in an I.T. but a teaching qualification would be beneficial to my career in my current company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

khaldrogo wrote: »
    I am qualified mechanic (FETAC LVL 6)

Is there any path for me to getting the degree/diploma needed to lecture through night classes. I don't want to actually teach in an I.T. but a teaching qualification would be beneficial to my career in my current company.

I think you may misunderstand what is required to lecture at and IoT - a level 8 honours degree, plus three years postgrad experience. Nothing more.

There is no teaching qualification required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

To be specific, it's a training role I'm interested in qualifying myself for so when the current training officer leaves I can go for the job. Afaik the training officers who have trained me in this company and the last had teaching qualifications.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

To be specific, it's a training role I'm interested in qualifying myself for so when the current training officer leaves I can go for the job. Afaik the training officers who have trained me in this company and the last had teaching qualifications.

Do a train the trainer course?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Stheno wrote: »
    Do a train the trainer course?

IOT staff don't need a teaching qualification for the first time in the role but need one to progress. They can do the PG Dip in Teaching but it requires an assessment while in a classroom setting which wouldn't suit you I'd imagine?
    +1 on Train the Trainer as it's probably the best bet, but you also need to be able to communicate comfortably
    Other options would be acquired experience such as Toastmasters which are up and running all around the country.

bduffy wrote:
    IOT staff don't need a teaching qualification for the first time in the role but need one to progress. They can do the PG Dip in Teaching but it requires an assessment while in a classroom setting which wouldn't suit you I'd imagine? +1 on Train the Trainer as it's probably the best bet, but you also need to be able to communicate comfortably Other options would be acquired experience such as Toastmasters which are up and running all around the country.

I've no problem talking in front of groups. I speak reasonably well and can convey confidence even if I may not be confident at that time. I've also trained apprentices, in a practical sense as part of working in the garage setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So it's nothing to do with teaching at an IoT and all to do with teaching at a SOLAS/Further Education institute then?

I don't know much about the Train the Trainer others are suggesting, but an additional suggestion is for you to look at the job specification of the person you are hoping to replace and see what the requirements are.

Tom Dunne wrote:
    So it's nothing to do with teaching at an IoT and all to do with teaching at a SOLAS/Further Education institute then?

Well, I wouldn't mind having what's needed to teach at an IoT if I decided to do it further down the line.

Tom Dunne wrote:
    I don't know much about the Train the Trainer others are suggesting, but an additional suggestion is for you to look at the job specification of the person you are hoping to replace and see what the requirements are.

Well of the 2 most recent trainers I've had 1 had a general teaching qualification and had been a fas instructor and the other had an MIMI qualification and is a qualified mechanic.

Advertisement