Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivor: Ghost Island (US)-[**SPOILERS**]

Options
  • 22-01-2018 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Survivor: Ghost Island (US)-[**SPOILERS**]

Survivor_Ghost_Island_logo.jpeg

Season 36 of the greatest show in town CBS Survivor is due to premiere on Wednesday 28th February 2018 8/7c,8 PM Eastern Time/7 PM Central Time with a two hour episode featuring 20 new castaways.This is the fifth season to take place in Fiji (Mamanuca Islands),an unprecedented mark for any location.

The castaways are confronted by the mistakes of contestants from previous Survivor seasons,with mementos from past seasons filling up Ghost Island.The premise is for the contestants to learn from the mistakes of past contestants to avoid repeating them.

Similar to season 35 there is no longer a traditional vote at final four,the person who wins the final immunity challenge will get to choose one person to take with them to the final three.The remaining two castaways will compete in a fire making challenge to determine who will be eliminated

This twist was a tad controversial last time out but ensured Ben's torch never got snuffed out.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not long now, no more weekends without Survivor, hopefully snowed in and off work by Thursday aswell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Can't wait! I have intentionally avoided pretty much all the extra info and know nothing about the cast.
    Only thing I know is about previous items that brought bad luck to past players being used and that there was a list published .... didn't look at it as I want it to be a surprise.

I'll be in New York for the second episode (well 3rd I guess as first is a double) but hopefully get to a viewing party!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I thought that was a reasonably enjoyable first episode!
    Loving the ghost island element and kinda wish I owned one of the snuffs or idols so that they would have contacted me! Might have been able to get a finale ticket out of it ;)

Surprised that for the amount of 'super fans' this season they are making such rookie mistakes.... looking for idols, going off chatting to just one other person etc ...

Always takes me a while to learn the names of the contestants but fair play to the lad (Donavan?) who eventually jumped into the water in the second challenge to release the balls despite his fear. Don't think he will last long but fair play.

First tribal council - What was that woman thinking by standing up and whispering to just 2 guys in a tribe that big!!! Rookie mistake.

Second tribal council - The guy to get voted out was an idiot, taking his shoes off and letting the waves get hold of them :D and thinking people believed his fake idol? It didn't look like it would fit around anyone's neck which for me stood out the most....and he thinks his tribe was the best in the history of survivor ??? Umm they lost both immunities!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Wouldn't mind seeing that Donathan lad being kept around for awhile - a clear underdog to root for early on and his enthusiasm was quite infectious, as was his delight at managing to swim under and release the buoys.

• Advertisement

Enjoyable premiere.

Usual mix of the six pack abs,attractive ladies(the beautiful people),superfans,nerds and outsiders.Stephanie I'm guessing from the edit was perceived as an overly strategic somewhat annoying individual.I have grown to hate that whispering at tribal council!:mad:Ruins the suspense.

Enjoyed Jacob's brief cameo,quite a character.As he mentioned a self aware paranoid neurotic.Totally oversold the fake idol,Brendan was never gonna to fall for that.Can't believe at this stage how players at this stage do not realise what a bad idea it is on day one to go searching for a HII even if it is out of desparation.Really paints a target on one's back.Really like the Ghost Island concept and Domineck resurrecting Andrea's unused HII.I know we've commented at this stage on what a joke it is how easily HII are found and the overuse of same.

Can't wait for Chris and Domineck to butt heads,it's going to kick off.Again Domineck totally oversold buying back Chris's trust with the HII.

Wendell and Domineck have a commonality in terms of their creativity via their workplaces and are likely to stay loyal.

Donathon is likeable,totally out of his comfort zone.Not too sure if Kentucky is same for a gay man.His social game may compensate for the apparent lack of an intellectual and physical edge.Kudos for his efforts in the second IC.There appeared to be a running theme of poor player choices for different elements of ICs.The Naviti tribe seem to have a definite edge player wise although the dropping of the buffs next week will affect any cosy alliances thus far in place.

Brendan is my early pick,Stephanie seems quirky and fun with the smarts.I'll see what Morgan brings to the plate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

kingtut wrote: »
    I thought that was a reasonably enjoyable first episode!
    Loving the ghost island element and kinda wish I owned one of the snuffs or idols so that they would have contacted me! Might have been able to get a finale ticket out of it ;)

Surprised that for the amount of 'super fans' this season they are making such rookie mistakes.... looking for idols, going off chatting to just one other person etc ...

Always takes me a while to learn the names of the contestants but fair play to the lad (Donavan?) who eventually jumped into the water in the second challenge to release the balls despite his fear. Don't think he will last long but fair play.

First tribal council - What was that woman thinking by standing up and whispering to just 2 guys in a tribe that big!!! Rookie mistake.

Second tribal council - The guy to get voted out was an idiot, taking his shoes off and letting the waves get hold of them :D and thinking people believed his fake idol? It didn't look like it would fit around anyone's neck which for me stood out the most....and he thinks his tribe was the best in the history of survivor ??? Umm they lost both immunities!! :rolleyes:

She thought she was a super gamer, she may not even have been the vote but that decided it
    I agree whats with these super fans constantly making terrible mistakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Annoyed with the first boot, she didn't even have any parting words, probably fuming.

Chelsea is my pick for the win, yes she didn't get any coverage in the premiere but she has something about her, can't quite put my finger on it try as I might.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Enjoyed that. Glad there was no mooring. They had gotten repetitive at this stage.

Having to give the legacy advantage to someone from the other tribe was a pretty sh*t reward considering the 50/50 chance of losing your vote a tribal council. Probably would have been better off giving it to a big strong target on the other beach and come back and be 100% transparent. Maybe let the other tribe know at the next challenge.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Having to give the legacy advantage to someone from the other tribe was a pretty sh*t reward considering the 50/50 chance of losing your vote a tribal council..
    My thoughts exactly, what an utterly sh1te system, might as well have left them strewn around the bush for people to randomly find, wheres the strategy in giving them away to people you saw for 5 minutes on a beach?

• Advertisement

They've got very fond of it recently and they got their wish last year when Ryan and Chrissy bonded later in the game over a cross tribe gift.

But did they actually call it an "advantage" on the piece of paper explaining the rules of the 50/50 decision to Jacob?

Cause it's a horrific "advantage" if so.

They've got very fond of it recently and they got their wish last year when Ryan and Chrissy bonded later in the game over a cross tribe gift.

But did they actually call it an "advantage" on the piece of paper explaining the rules of the 50/50 decision to Jacob?

Cause it's a horrific "advantage" if so.

Yeah it's all dependent on the two parties crossing paths at the merge or when the tribes are mixed.Simply didn't happen on this occasion,c'est la vie.

Pretty average episode,tribe swap has certainly not resulted in a favourable outcome for the original members of the Naviti tribe.

Chris is a real loose cannon,a definite target for a blindside.

He couldn't help himself with his loose lips due to his animosity for Domineck.It ruined the cohesiveness of the remaining four members with a resulting free for all.Hard to understand how the majority five can't stay tight and vote out the Malolo originals and then fight it out.Big egoes me thinks.Smart move by James and co.

Typical early pre merge episode but I'm really liking the cast and they don't seem to be going overboard with the idols.

Very promising start to the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Found the swap confusing. After 1 episode, I didn't really know who was original Naviti and who was original Malolo, and got fair confused at the tribal due to it. Need 1/2 extra episodes really before a tribe swap imo.

That army lady drives me insane. How does such a emotional person make it in the army.

Youtube just recommended this to me again, you dont get moments like this in any other tv show :D

Very enjoyable episode,the opening sequence building up the Chris Dominick showdown.The willed legacy advantage will come in handy if he makes it deep into the game at unlucky 13 or 6.

Laurel and Donathan's schoolyard conversation about who they liked more was hilarious.Chris is on the back foot.

Incredible comeback in the IC in spite of the feather heads leaving Chris and Wendell to pull back the mid section alone.

Enjoyable tribal,decent attempted bluff by Michael.Disappointed a decent player like Brendan exits the game while an irritant like Bradley " that's why I'll be a great lawyer " stays put.I can see his loyalists turning on him.Kellyn is another who I find a bit annoying,can't put my finger on it.

Laurel really impressed in the RC,what an athlete and a Yale student to boot.
    Chris and Sebastian if allowed stay in the game have the potential to dominate individual ICs.Can't see the disliked Chris staying too long in the game unless they keep winning.

There are a number of players virtually anonymous in the edit,presuming they'll be early boots or have little impact deep into the game.

There is some seriously annoying and boring people in this one
    The girl who got sent away by herself is terrible. Not attempting to play is just terrible

Wouldn't call it terrible. It may have been ultra cautious but she could have been going home via a rock draw had she opted to go for the advantage.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't call it terrible. It may have been ultra cautious but she could have been going home via a rock draw had she opted to go for the advantage.

I dunno buddy, shes not a target in any way. Shes a very weak player the sort that makes it to the final three for uh valid reasons
    A chance to do something and nearly has a nervous break down

She wasn't a target but arriving back to camp with no vote at TC would have meant her group of five no longer had the numbers with a rock draw being a real possibility.

It would have been a risky move that could have paid dividends down the line but also could have blown her entire game up.

If I was her I'd be very vocal about the fact she took one for the team and turn her 'non-move' into a actual 'move'.

Certainly not a terrible call in my book.

I'd love to know what the advantage would have been though. The producers should really tell us unless they plan on distributing them in a certain order regardless of whether someone plays or not. Even if this was the case it would still add to the drama.

Your right i misunderstood the count
    But still a weak player who if given the chance would make the same move again
    If she did as you said and told everyone she took one for the team well that in itself is a move
    Instead she did nothing

Fairly average episode.Chris is likely to be a beast in any physical challenges.Not so sure re the puzzles.

Naviti v Manolo in ICs is at this stage so one sided.Mix up next week should freshen things up before people get too comfortable.The bromance that is Chris and Dominick may have to be put on hold for the time being after next week.:)

Always interesting to hear the backstories of the various players.I think it is really low to go through another player's bag as Desiree did.

It's amazing how many players are anonymous and have next to zero edit.

That throwing by Chris in the challenge was fairly amazing, the targets didnt stop spinning from the minute he started, as for the rest of it... Its so bland I actually cant even remember whats going on and I only watched it last night, same for all the previous episodes aswell. Everything pre-merge has been like that for me for the last couple of seasons tbh. The whole Ghost Island/past mistakes theme has been a complete and utter damp squib aswell. The system on the island, breaking the jar to get a note that might let you waste your vote on nothing, its just stupid.

Disappointed Desiree survived the vote,her performance as the caller in IC most especially at the puzzle solving finale was shocking.It appears that James was a bit of an outsider.

Naviti original majority 3-2 in all the tribes post mix up.Chris,Sebastian and Wendell should dominate any future physical ICs.

The Chris piece/shtick was hilarious,an astonishing lack of awareness.The face off with Dominick will have to be put on hold.

Enjoyable episode from the get go.Sloppy by the Malolo majority to let Michael forage unimpeded for the HII,he deserved his break.Loved the whole background to the fake idol.Early signs of Bradley's impending doom at the RC,Donathon is certainly growing as a player.

Kellyn is so annoying,ridiculous edit where she implies what a high risk player she is pre attaining her advantage.Again the background to the advantage was cool.

So Wendell grabs yet another HII:rolleyes: Erik's from Micronesia:D One of the most iconic Survivor plays ever.

Desiree "this might be the most losing tribe ever?"Turned out it was a good call to burn the flag.

Yet again Chris,Sebastian and Wendell excell at the IC,ditto Michael.Great effort by Donathon.

In spite of Bradley's more dislikeable traits I thought tribe loyalty would save him.Merge next week and the Chris/Dominick conflict is going to kick off again.Michael has further opportunity to turn around what appeared a hopeless situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just not digging this season at all.

Not been an amazing pre merge but that's the norm and not the exception at this stage. I like the cast enough to think that it could be an enjoyable run from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The only cast member I have even slightly warmed to is Donathan. Hopefully it does pick up once the merge hits, but I can't remember ever being this disappointed (even at the pre-merge stage) in a season, which 36 seasons in isn't an awful complaint to have. I think it's just the combination of the lackluster cast and Ghost Island premise that I'm struggling with. Maybe now that they're merging the season will be somewhat salvageable, but if not hopefully next season will be back on form.

Advertisement