Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Dilemna

Options
  • 22-01-2018 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm posting this anonymously so going to leave out job details etc.

I've been working for a company for a few years and for the majority of my time I've been working two jobs in the place with my time split 50/50 between the two roles. I was hired for one role on a FTC but was good and they wanted to keep me on, so I ended up doing two in order to keep me in the company.

Role A is what I'm qualified in from college, but I don't enjoy it and don't get much job satisfaction out of it but it's a better job from a financial perspective.

Role B is something I just stumbled into, it's not a very highly skilled role but I really like it and I like the people I work with.

It's been decided that the 50/50 split isn't going to happen anymore as the manager for role A wants me back full time, and the manager for role B can't give me that position full time due to resource constraints.

The manager for role A has created a brand new role for me to move into that would allow me to be higher paid, but I've actually no interest in the role from a career perspective but feel like I'm being forced into it, as I can't take the role B position full time.

What exactly do I do here? Do I take the new position and just get on with it, or are there any other options other than me leaving the company?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Could you do role B as a 3 day week, and find another job for the other 2 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Tenigate wrote: »
    Could you do role B as a 3 day week, and find another job for the other 2 days?

I could try that but it's not ideal either a role B should be a 30 hour job if you're doing it right without taking on anything additional

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Take role A until you decide what you want to do long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement