Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

being woken up by birds!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Definitely rats, they cheep and chitter just like birds. Every time you get awoken by the choir of birdsong, just remember it might well be a rat gnawing its way through your ceiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Omackeral wrote: »
    Same here in my garden today.

pretty_little_liars_cellphones_2.jpg
    Jeez, I've a few starlings.

So, what're you feeding them?

I throw them a sausage every now and again and they just keep coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I live beneath a lovely Polish dude who seems to walk entirely on his heels, and comes home from work at 7am. I don't start work til 12 noon, so 7am is the middle of the damn night to me. But he is otherwise very pleasant, so I am loathe to ask him to step more lightly.

I wear noise cancelling in-ear headphones, and play 10 hour long YouTube videos of thunderstorms. Honestly, I have never slept so well.

Thanks for the idea. Love falling asleep to thunderstorms. Can't believe I never thought of this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

The last few nights have been very warm so we have slept with the window open.
    Problem is, we were woken up by about 4 Kookaburra's at 5am, Cackling away. Noisy bloody things.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sounds like Starlings.

Nasty noisey creatures. We had a family of them move into a balcony area. Couldn't rid of the fcuks for love nor money.

Brazen little bolloxes, they're not afraid of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

If only there was something you could blast them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

... of the feather kind LOL . :D

They are getting in the loft somewhere I cant see where or any holes outside in the eaves and if I go up into the loft I cannot see because its a dormer house and you cannot get to certain parts in the loft.

Noisy feckers they are, about 6am they start and im not bleeding getting up at that time -
    and i didnt even think they would be nesting up there at so early on in the year. But I suppose its because its mild on the whole.

Anyway the quick fix seems to me at the moment is to put in them gummy ear plug things - but i have never used them do you feel them when they are in? - would I get asleep with them in or can you feel that they are there?

They may be bathing in the gutters.

The gummy and waxy ear buds didn't really work for me with noise suppression but the soft foam spongy yellow ones did. Can get these at any pharmacy.

3m-classic-earplugs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I live beneath a lovely Polish dude who seems to walk entirely on his heels, and comes home from work at 7am. I don't start work til 12 noon, so 7am is the middle of the damn night to me. But he is otherwise very pleasant, so I am loathe to ask him to step more lightly.

I wear noise cancelling in-ear headphones, and play 10 hour long YouTube videos of thunderstorms. Honestly, I have never slept so well.

You live in Amsterdam FFS! just get stoned and sleep.

Or check out a band called Godspeed You! Black Emperor... they're the musical equivalent of "10 hour long YouTube videos of thunderstorms"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

A flippin' sap Andy From Sligo of course!

Oh yeah ... derrrr - i'm a bit slow arent I?

• Advertisement

Definitely rats, they cheep and chitter just like birds. Every time you get awoken by the choir of birdsong, just remember it might well be a rat gnawing its way through your ceiling.

:eek:

Hate rats !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

sligojoek wrote: »
    If only there was something you could blast them with.

It's illegal to disturb nesting birds or do anything to move them. Andy you'll have to leave them alone.

Birds don't usually start singing till sunrise though!

Thanks for the idea. Love falling asleep to thunderstorms. Can't believe I never thought of this before.

someone told me once that waterfall or noise of a lake or babbling brook helps them sleep ... it would just keep waking me up making me want to go to the toilet! :(

Oldtree wrote: »
    They may be bathing in the gutters.

The gummy and waxy ear buds didn't really work for me with noise suppression but the soft foam spongy yellow ones did. Can get these at any pharmacy.

3m-classic-earplugs.jpg

thanks - i will get and try, didnt think about chemists selling them ... but now you mention it.

I got a facebook friend who is deaf in both ears but she can hear with hearing aids in both ears.. she said its a godsend some times. When her noisy grandchildren come to visit and she has had enough she turns off her hearing aids or takes them out, and then silence , haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Get yoursell a wee ferret and send him up in the attic hungry and in a bad mood.first don’t feed the ferret.then if you can get Galway Bay fm tune it in.bring the ferret in the kitchen and put him in a wee cage beside the wireless.turn up the sound and make little ferret listen to the full Valerie Hughes lunchtime show wagon wheel.
    After he has sat through this sh1te he won’t leave a bird in Connaught with the murderous rage he will be in having endured this torture.
    when he has your birdy problem sorted out you will have to cool him down again with a bit of reggae beats or radio one classical music and a snackbox.best of luck

It's illegal to disturb nesting birds or do anything to move them. Andy you'll have to leave them alone.

Birds don't usually start singing till sunrise though!

so it looks like I will have this until April/May then? til they fly away - great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

so it looks like I will have this until April/May then? til they fly away - great!

Sorry.... But yes they've just had mating season and are now getting ready for egg laying.

Birds are lovely!! They shouldn't be making noise so early in the day though. They could be hungry if they're chattering so much. It might sound counterintuitive but maybe hanging a bird seed box on a tree somewhere towards the back of your garden would encourage them to congregate further away and only come back when it's sleeping time. They can't see well in the dark so if they are full they sleep until sunrise.
    Give it a try!

(please make sure it's fairly high up though :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I have the same problem. I thought I had rats in the roof space. Turns out it was birds waiting for the morning Sun to warm up and their talons were scratching on the slate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

cor, i shall have to try it :)

There's a YouTube channel calls Relaxing White Noise with dozens of 10 hour tracks of everything from airplane engine noise, to flowing streams, thunder storms, heavy downpours on tin roofs or cars, wind blowing tree leaves.
    It's a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

What you need is a small nuclear device.just put it as close as you can to them and set it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Get yourself a realistic looking fake hawk and stick it on the roof. That won't be long keeping them away. Until they realise what it is and then they perch and shít on it's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Get out the slingshot and the sucky sweets

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Get yourself a realistic looking fake hawk and stick it on the roof. That won't be long keeping them away. Until they realise what it is and then they perch and shít on it's head.

haha :D

No birds woke me up this morning - if i had my skeptical hat on I would swear the said birds are subscribers to boards.ie and have read this thread and decided to give me a break! :)

On an aside note the neighbours dog woke me up out of a deep sleep instead this morning the fecker - it has the most whingy'est whiny'est bark I have ever heard on a dog .. - sounds like its bark has to break. at what age does a dog enter puberty?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

55 posts and No one suggested Andy from Sligo burns down his gaff?

Oh After Hours, I am disappoint.

55 posts and No one suggested Andy from Sligo burns down his gaff?

Oh After Hours, I am disappoint.

how about if I burn the house down? .... - will that get rid of em?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

dok_golf wrote: »
    I have the same problem. I thought I had rats in the roof space. Turns out it was birds waiting for the morning Sun to warm up and their talons were scratching on the slate.

I love how so many posters refer to a birds claws as talons. :D

I love how so many posters refer to a birds claws as talons. :D

I had to google what Talons were :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Same here in my garden today.

pretty_little_liars_cellphones_2.jpg
    nice flock of birds and all in their summer plumage and they look to be all ''twittering'' away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In spring time I get magpies having arguments on my windowsill at 6 in the morning. I could chase them away, but I don't really mind them. The foxes at 3AM, on the other hand ... with the horrendous noises they make, I'm not surprised some folks believe in ghosts. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement