Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i taking a risk ?

Options
  • 23-01-2018 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Flight to Budapest Wednesday morning 5:15 , usually go with eir eagle but the times are not working out. I can go with jj kavanagh and arrive at 4:15? I always fly with Ryanair, this time it will be with Lufthansa. Do you think that’s enough time to get through security and to the gate ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

At that time in the morning you might get in before most of the crowd (Dublin I presume?) and an hour should be enough if you have your stuff ready for security and no hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looking at the history - the flight to Frankfurt usually departs very much on time. The question is are you flexible with Lufthansa, if you miss the Dub flight you also miss the Frankfurt connection and it could be an expensive day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If you're sure to arrive at 4-15, no problem but any delay and your done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Backpack20

Yah it’s very awkward, the bus schedule is not working out for me.

I’ve checked all the bus companies that leave from limerick, none of the times are working out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

Backpack20 wrote: »
    I’ve checked all the bus companies that leave from limerick, none of the times are working out

Could you sleep overnight in the airport? Not ideal but I've had friends do that in the past where transport wouldn't work.

Ugh I could, I wouldn’t be ideal tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

You're cutting it very tight, but at that time security queue is usually only starting to build up and you're before the main rush, so assuming you have checked in, have boarding pass, no bags to drop and are certain that the bus is going to be on time then you should be ok. Definitely no time for hanging around. Use the airport app to track your flight so you know what gate you're heading to etc. You'd also want to have a look at the weather to be sure the roads are ok for travel.

you can check the historical security queue times here http://securitywait.dlewis.ie/ Usually at that time the queue is about 10 minutes. As Locker has suggested it might even be worthwhile getting fast-track, it would buy you those few extra minutes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Maybe buy fast track security to give yourself extra safety time.
    If your flight departs at 5:15am boarding will probably start around 4:55am. As long as you are airside at this time and can go directly to your gate you’ll be ok.
    I’m assuming you don’t have to check in bags?

No bags , yah I usually use eir eagle but this time it’s with jj kavanagh so I’m not so sure how good they are with time keeping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I wouldnt do it. An hour is too tight I think if you are traveling by bus from Limerick. a few minutes delay on the road, the few minutes walk from the bus to the terminal, and then the queue at security.

I say I’ll just go up the night and try and sleep there, won’t be ideal just I don’t want to chance it

I say I’ll just go up the night and try and sleep there, won’t be ideal just I don’t want to chance it
    A big factor would be weather and the roads etc. If they were bad it could screw you, but the flip side is that bus in normal weather might frequently arrive early as some of this early morning busses do. If your sticking with that bus I’d defiantly get the fast track security

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

the only way I would do this if I would buy the fast track security + a really really good travel insurance. I've been on that 5.15 flight number of times, generally the queues shouldn't cause too much hassle, but you never know. I once arrived at the long term blue car park, parked up but the bus simply wasn't coming. It was about 30 minutes until it showed up, crowded, and I had luggage to check in with only minutes to spare. Made it. Wouldn't want to go through that ever again.

In your case another option might be to check in at one of the many airport hotels near by

I decided to get the Dublin coach from limerick at 9:00 arrives at red cow 11:40 then straight the Dublin airport for 12. Seems like the best plan.

I decided to get the Dublin coach from limerick at 9:00 arrives at red cow 11:40 then straight the Dublin airport for 12. Seems like the best plan.

If your interested you could buy a lounge access pass and have a shower and breakfast before your flight.

I never took the Dublin coach before, it says i have to change at the red cow? I presume ill have to get a shuttle bus from their to the airport?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Locker10a wrote: »
    If your interested you could buy a lounge access pass and have a shower and breakfast before your flight.

How much is that I may have to do something similar myself soon.

Doltanian wrote: »
    Locker10a wrote: »

How much is that I may have to do something similar myself soon.

The Aer Lingus lounge is €30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Within the past 18 month I had a similar decision, as the buses from Limerick left me tight on time for an early morning flight to Munich. I also had luggage to check in. I ended up taking the last bus of the evening and getting to the terminal for approx 1am. Baggage drop didn't open until c. 4am so I napped on the floor of the departure area for that time, woke up to drop the bags and clear security, then took a further nap at the gate area. I made the flight without issue, if a little wrecked for the day. I was visiting friends, so the lack of sleep wasn't an issue.

If I were doing that flight for work and also not driving myself up to the airport, I would definitely check into one of the nearby hotels and get an early night of sleep in preparation. You'd definitely be fresher after a sleep locally and a short walk to the airport than a 2hr drive at stupid o'clock and parking and bussing over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Knowing the unreliable schedules that bus companies create (not just an Irish problem) , there is no way in hell I would allow 60 minutes transfer time.

Timekeeping on the M7 corridor by JJ Kav and Bus Eireann is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but im worried about this.i have a 1005 dublin ryanair flight tomorrow morning.the eir eagle bus from limerick arrives in at 815. Is that enough time.ill be checked in and only carry on bag.
    Anyone know if this bus is generally on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but im worried about this.i have a 1005 dublin ryanair flight tomorrow morning.the eir eagle bus from limerick arrives in at 815. Is that enough time.ill be checked in and only carry on bag.
    Anyone know if this bus is generally on time?

For bus travel and especially heading up the M7/N7 at peak hour I would always allow an extra 60 minutes onto the arrival time. I've seen other operators on the Limerick Dublin corridor regularly be up to 45 minutes late.

I'm assuming you be checked in already online and only with a carry on bag. So with a 0915 arrival I say you would be fine. Straight to security (maybe pay for fast track) and head to gate if it's a post 0900 arrival.

For bus travel and especially heading up the M7/N7 at peak hour I would always allow an extra 60 minutes onto the arrival time. I've seen other operators on the Limerick Dublin corridor regularly be up to 45 minutes late.

I'm assuming you be checked in already online and only with a carry on bag. So with a 0915 arrival I say you would be fine. Straight to security (maybe pay for fast track) and head to gate if it's a post 0900 arrival.

Im already checked in with one carry on bag.its a scheduled 815 bus time arrival and i have fast track.
    Its ether this or a 330 am bus.

Ps edit Oh i see what you mean.add 60 minutes onto the 815.i get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Drive to Dublin airport from Limerick last Thursday.

There was a good chunk of the M7 closed before Kildare. Traffic steered onto the old Dublin road for about 20km.

Might be open now but, if not, add 15 minutes delay for this alone, .

If there's a crash or delay im screwed.i think the 330 am bus is a better option.
    Id love a few more opinions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I never believe in taking risks when it comes to getting to the airport. There's no insurance against public transport delays if you leave less than the airline recommended time for check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Im already checked in with one carry on bag.its a scheduled 815 bus time arrival and i have fast track.
    Its ether this or a 330 am bus.

Ps edit Oh i see what you mean.add 60 minutes onto the 815.i get you.

I'd go with the 3.30am bus. It's a very early start but a few hours to pass in the airport is vastly preferable to the stress and anxiety associated with the risk of missing your flight.

Comhra wrote: »
    I'd go with the 3.30am bus. It's a very early start but a few hours to pass in the airport is vastly preferable to the stress and anxiety associated with the risk of missing your flight.

Yea i would be driven mad with that stress which is why im on the bus texting this.i went with the 330 option.
    I would be distraught if i missed the flight so this is by far the less stressful option.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Yea i would be driven mad with that stress which is why im on the bus texting this.i went with the 330 option.
    I would be distraught if i missed the flight so this is by far the less stressful option.

Thanks for all the replies.

Have a good trip! :)

Advertisement