Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DMC Line Fault on HKC Alarm

Options
  • 23-01-2018 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

Morning.
    My HKC alarm has being bleeping like crazy and keeps saying DMC Line Fault.
    I cant use the alarm and the beeping is driving me nuts.

KN Networks were working outside my house on the pole and on the road and since then the alarm has being going haywire and beeping.

I contacted them but they told me i need to contact my service provider Virgin Media.

My phone line still works as i have home phone.
    I dont have any engineer codes for alarm.

Can anyone help me out here please.
    How do i fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

You need to get onto your phone provider and let them know about the fault and the possible reason.

Is your phone handset plugged into your router by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

kub wrote: »
    You need to get onto your phone provider and let them know about the fault and the possible reason.

Is your phone handset plugged into your router by any chance?

Thanks,yeah phone is plugged into white VM router box.

Contacted VM and they ran a line test.
    Phone line is fine.

HKC panel still showing a line fault and beeping slowly though.
    Help?

Thanks,yeah phone is plugged into white VM router box.

Therefore your landline phone is now working VOIP. You have been upgraded, all providers are in the process of changing peoples lines to internet protocol.

I am sorry to say your alarm communicator needs to have an analogue line, I am surprised your provider has not let you know about the implications of this change.

I would advise that you get onto your phone provider and confirm that you no longer have an analogue line, that you are on VOIP and then you will have to go back to your alarm company so they can give you some options here.
    It can be sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Contacted VM and they ran a line test.
    Phone line is fine.

HKC panel still showing a line fault and beeping slowly though.
    Help?

Have you entered your code to clear the fault?

• Advertisement

Thanks.

KN Networks called to house just there.
    Said they are only responsible for line to pole and its not their problem.

I armed the alarm and disarmed it but the panel is still saying line fault.

Will the alarm still work if its saying line fault?

Will the alarm still work if its saying line fault?

Yes it will still arm/ disarm etc, but cannot now provide any notifications. If it does activate it will now only sound locally.

Right,alarm started beeping slowly again at 7am this morning. I could also hear clicking noise from the alarm panel.
    The line fault and red light was on the alarm keypad.

I dont have any engineer codes.

Is there any way i can fix this myself?
    Its driving me nuts at this stage.

Ok the black and white of this Is, your alarm no longer has an analogue telephone line.
    It is no longer capable of notification.
    This has changed your system completely as to how it was commissioned.
    Did you tell your insurance company that you had a monitored system?
    Your best bet here is to get onto your alarm company and let them advise you from here.
    There is no easy fix to this problem.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

hatchman wrote: »
    HKC would drive anyone nuts :-( brilliant when it works but smallest thing wrong and it will cost!

??

The alarm system is doing exactly as it should. It has lost its line and is flagging it as so.

HKC would drive anyone nuts :-( brilliant when it works but smallest thing wrong and it will cost!

What manufacturer would you recommend?

Just in case you are unaware of standards, this is a requirement that if there is an issue with a telephone line to an alarm panel, that the system will make the operator aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

kub wrote:
    Just in case you are unaware of standards, this is a requirement that if there is an issue with a telephone line to an alarm panel, that the system will make the operator aware of it.

I know nothing of standards ! How do you stop the beeping shy of paying an installer to come out ? Can it can be set up to use new VoIP line ? It is going to cost ! Just my view not everyone can always afford an installer call out. Only my view sorry

I know nothing of standards ! How do you stop the beeping shy of paying an installer to come out ? Can it can be set up to use new VoIP line ? It is going to cost ! Just my view not everyone can always afford an installer call out. Only my view sorry

You obviously do not indeed know much about standards, but you think nothing of coming onto a public forum and bad mouthing a manufacturer.
    What would you do if this was your car with an engine warning light on?
    Your washing machine beeping a fault?
    Your microwave beeping a fault?

I am sure the OP's installer will soon set him/ her right as to what solutions are available to him/ her with this issue and i am sure the OP is aware that should he/ she have any further queries, they can follow up here.

This forum is here to assist people, sometimes yes, it can be free, sometimes like on this occasion they will have to at least speak with their own supplier.
    That is not HKC's fault.

kub wrote:
    You obviously do not indeed know much about standards, but you think nothing of coming onto a public forum and bad mouthing a manufacturer. What would you do if this was your car with an engine warning light on? Your washing machine beeping a fault? Your microwave beeping a fault?

Appologies I will remove post only had sympathy for op as I too was in same situation awhile back. There was no need to attack me like you did! As you said it's a public forum so not everybody is going to good experiences with different manufacturers! All I said is they would drive you nuts hardly a damming indictment.

hatchman wrote:
    Appologies I will remove post only had sympathy for op as I too was in same situation awhile back. There was no need to attack me like you did! As you said it's a public forum so not everybody is going to good experiences with different manufacturers! All I said is they would drive you nuts hardly a damming indictment.

I did not attack you. There was an obvious break down in communication between the OP and their phone line provider.
    There was a change there, that is where the issue is and where the fault lies
    Again not with HKC, it was you attacked HKC.
    A bit like blaming a car manufacturer because there was water in the diesel at the filling station, that the driver stopped at to fill up his tank.

kub wrote:
    I did not attack you. There was an obvious break down in communication between the OP and their phone line provider. There was a change there, that is where the issue is and where the fault lies Again not with HKC, it was you attacked HKC. A bit like blaming a car manufacturer because there was water in the diesel at the filling station, that the driver stopped at to fill up his tank.

Excuse me but I didn't attack hkc. Also Car manufacturer's put in provisions to remove water from fuel before it enters the engine :-) good day to you sir and I hope no one has a differing opinion to you today ;-)

Excuse me but I didn't attack hkc. Also Car manufacturer's put in provisions to remove water from fuel before it enters the engine :-) good day to you sir and I hope no one has a differing opinion to you today ;-)

Ok I reported your post for trolling, thankfully it has been removed. But you did blame HKC quite clearly in your post.

kub wrote:
    Ok I reported your post for trolling, thankfully it has been removed. But you did blame HKC quite clearly in your post.

I removed post not the mods. And you are correct on everything thank you.

• Advertisement

I removed post not the mods. And you are correct on everything thank you.

Great thank you for clearing that all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

For the record I didn't see any trolling here just a little bit of a niggle

Stoner I reported his post the other night. I am disappointed to see that reported posts are now regarded a niggle.
    In the real world it would probably be regarded as slanderous.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fergoc

Can someone please explain why you cannot use a VOIP line with an alarm. My line is being changed over to VOIP next week and I have a HKC alarm with Secure Watch for sending SMS messages when the alarm is activated.

I may be wrong but the output of the Telephone Adapter (RJ11 socket on back of modem) is essentially an analogue line which is why I am plugging in my current analogue phone into it. So why can't I take a line cord, plug one end into the TA on the modem, snip the RJ11 plug off the other end, strip the wires and replace the 2 wires currently coming into my NTU. This way my internal phone wiring will work exactly the same way as it does today. Is there something peculiar about what the alarm is expecting that means that this won't satisfy its' requirements for an active line. Appreciate any feedback.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are lots of issues with alarms connecting over VOIP lines right across the industry. Even standard analogue lines are causing issues connecting with ARCs as somewhere in between they are being converted to VOIP and packets are becoming corrupted.
    Most are moving away from landlines altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fergoc

KoolKid wrote: »
    Most are moving away from landlines altogether.

Thanks for the feedback. Just curious, what technology are alarm companies moving towards - GSM or monitoring / notifications via internet?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Both would be most popular with new connections.

fergoc wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback. Just curious, what technology are alarm companies moving towards - GSM or monitoring / notifications via internet?

Well a few installers are pushing free notifications which are limited and obviously rely on the clients router for communication. Obviously this has its weaknesses and in my opinion is a poor choice.
    What I have opted for is an on-board world GSM unit which obviously, just like the alarm system, has a back up battery so in the event of a power failure will still work.
    This GSM unit connects via IP to the clients monitoring company.

Advertisement