Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The idiots behind sulky racing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

You know I wonder, they gloat and laugh at forcing cars into accidents but would we be all laughing if their opponent was a multiton truck that plowed into these wasters instead and removed their stupidy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Infini wrote: »
    You know I wonder, they gloat and laugh at forcing cars into accidents but would we be all laughing if their opponent was a multiton truck that plowed into these wasters instead and removed their stupidy?
    I wouldn't gloat, but I'd feel little to no sympathy either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Know fellows involved in sulky racing (they own stables for point to point horses). It's far from unique to travellers, indeed they admit travellers treat their horses a lot better than others simply because they are such a good source of income for them.

The idea that sulky racing should be banned is silly stuff. But obviously road traffic laws should be enforced.

Should be banned on public roads though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'd be a bit meh about it really

Know fellows involved in sulky racing (they own stables for point to point horses). It's far from unique to travellers, indeed they admit travellers treat their horses a lot better than others simply because they are such a good source of income for them.

The idea that sulky racing should be banned is silly stuff. But obviously road traffic laws should be enforced.

Here's a picture of a well treated horse from a traveller sulky race.

3jX.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Everyone wants to say what they really think of these "people" but we all know we'd be banned if we told it like it was.
    We have found a use for RPG's! If we throw an RPG at every one of them, as least one of them will play it... :pac:
    Wheety wrote: »
    Who was doing this?
    The usual traveller apologists will be along shortly.
    Would you agree that sulky racing should be banned from all public roads?
    I'd run over with buckets of petrol to help put out the fire...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Good point.
    The question then arises what kind of appetite is there within AGS to prosecute road offences against this cohort of people?
    I don't have the answer, I am just raising the thought.

Probably none, their name would get out as the arresting officer....the whole "defense" would rest on finding that piece of info...and then just find his/her house and either intimidation or flat out assault/murder for daring to impose laws on them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Vermin the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Larbre34 wrote: »
    ......their senior officer on the day should be able to direct the impounding and destruction of all kit on the spot. Whether its race carts, vehicles running interference for them, modified cars, or indeed the poor brute horses forced to pull the carts, the whole lot should be destroyed on site by a vet or mobile crusher truck.

I was with ya right up to the point you suggested putting the poor horses down, I think perhaps rehoming them might be a better and somewhat less drastic solution no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

A far far worse problem on roads around here than travellers will ever be. Blocking roads while they do their doughnuts and diffing.

Why are you seemingly going out of your way to defend this behaviour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Sulky races should be completely banned from all roads. If people want to race them, do so in a field or on a track, you know like most other sports, like horse racing, greyhound racing, car racing.

The roads are there for transportation. If they want to race on the roads, do what everyone else has to do. Apply for permission and have the appropriate safeguards, insurance and medical standby like everyone else.

This is not about them v us. It is about mutual respect and them having to go by the same rules and laws as everyone else.

Lastly, what about the horses in this? The ISPCA have called for a total ban on this sport, and its hard to disagree with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Why are you seemingly going out of your way to defend this behaviour?

Not everyone hates travellers. I grew up between 2 halting sites in South Dublin and I've had far more positive experiences with them than negative. It might be different out the country but I've never had a serious issue.

That's rally drivers and petrolheads for you.

A far far worse problem on roads around here than travellers will ever be. Blocking roads while they do their doughnuts and diffing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Attempted deflection.

This has absolutely nothing to do with travellers racing sulkies dangerously on a main road with other travellers driving dangerously and causing accidents.

By the way, the above statement also applies to non-travellers racing sulkies and behaving similarly.

Not everyone hates travellers. I grew up between 2 halting sites in South Dublin and I've had far more positive experiences with them than negative. It might be different out the country but I've never had a serious issue.

I've never ever had a positive experience with them. They are responsible for most of the problems/crime where I live even though they are probably less than 1% of the local population.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

How in gods name can someone defend their actions!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Interesting phrasing, nicely avoided condemning them...

road traffic laws should be obeyed by citizens, particularly the ones about dangerous driving, and consideration for other users, alonf with not engaging in reckless endangerment etc.
    The onus is on citizen to abide by the law, not on AGS to catch transgressors.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

By the way, the above statement also applies to non-travellers racing sulkies and behaving similarly.

That just doesn't seem to happen quite so regularly though does it?

Would nearly make it easier if it did cause it'd make a ban more likely, if everybody is doing it the 'racist card' can't get played.....

wexie wrote: »
    That just doesn't seem to happen quite so regularly though does it?

Would nearly make it easier if it did cause it'd make a ban more likely, if everybody is doing it the 'racist card' can't get played.....

I have had two bans already and have a permanent ban hanging over my head if I go overboard telling the truth according to my observations criticising travellers so I decided it was an appropriate sentence to write.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

had the pleasure one sunday morning of driving up carnmore road near galway airport about 11am, 'whats that yoke up ahead' i says to myself .. could not believe what i was seeing .. both lanes had lads in cars and jeeps in a line across,lads standing in pickups,lads with cameras hanging from every window.. all moving towards me,no hazard lights, no notice to slow down ..nothing.. all i could do was stop in my lane whilst they jeered at me for not pulling into the verge out of their way.. two sulkys racing.. more lads in vans and cars behind them .

the sheer fcking nerve of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

You don't have to dislike travellers to not make excuses for dangerous, antisocial behaviour. There is clearly problems in their culture - this is not a racist statement, it is objective fact backed up by prisoner ratios, crime statistics, educational attainment (including basic literacy skills), teen pregnancy and suicide rates compared to the rest of the population. Pavee Point would point to "structural racism" as the cause of this, but nobody really believes that this is the sort of one-sided, "travellers are blameless" thing that they make it out to be - something is seriously wrong here and only the foolish or the blinkered cannot see this, and it does neither them nor society any favors to allow what is currently going on to continue and allow them to essentially be a law unto themselves. Laws and societal expectations need to apply to everyone in that society or they mean nothing.

Ironically, by making excuses for them the implication is that they are somehow incapable of behaving in a safe, respectful manner like everyone else is expected to, and that accommodations must be made for it as a result - which is incredibly insulting to their intelligence.

The people complaining about it on the other hand assert that they are absolutely capable of behaving in an acceptable manner, and that this should be expected of them in the same way as it is for everyone else. WE are the ones validating their intelligence and abilities and expecting better, the apologists are them ones patronizing them and have resigned themselves to the idea that the status quo is the way it has to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Quicker to defend them than the poor people who got involved in accidents/damage to their cars over this. Nah, sure they have insurance be grand. Victimless crime!

The pregnant women will most likely claim off the driver who hit her but what about that driver? Where does that leave them but a nice [massive] renewal.

As for these clowns racing on a busy public road? Pavee Point and others will most likely divert the attention away and say "The Government [i.e. someone else] should pay to build purpose built race tracks and stables for them".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

To be fair to Gardai, there are no relevant laws to prosecute in this area.
    Sulky racing is not illegal. Guards would have to go after some other action of those involved.

Like public endangerment?

It's not lack of laws, it's lack of enforcement. And it's not as of they don't know who is involved either. They're just seems to be no will to take on these people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

The cork road and in particular the Croom bypass are the location of regular sulky races, particularly in Summer. Its either racing or times trials between overpasses and I am sick of reporting it the gardai.. Waste of time..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Oh there are lots of ways.

Whataboutery, pedantry, arguing from ignorance, deflection, portraying them as victims etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

As for these clowns racing on a busy public road? Pavee Point and others will most likely divert the attention away and say "The Government [i.e. someone else] should pay to build purpose built race tracks and stables for them".

...which would be turned into a scrapyard or a dump overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I've heard some bullshit in my time but claiming sulky racing isn't unique to travellers takes the biscuit.

I've heard some bullshit in my time but claiming sulky racing isn't unique to travellers takes the biscuit.

I'm certainly not in the pro-traveller camp as my previous posts/bans show but I can swear on my life that I know one settled person (non-traveller) who is involved with sulky racking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Poor horses must be terrified. Vans and Jeeps blowing their horns at them.

I'm certainly not in the pro-traveller camp as my previous posts/bans show but I can swear on my life that I know one settled person (non-traveller) who is involved with sulky racking.

Genuinely curious to know would he do it on a public road in a similar manner?

Genuinely curious to know would he do it on a public road in a similar manner?

I've no idea. I doubt it. I don't really have anything to do with him, I just know him.

• Advertisement

Wel, you couldn't be more wrong. Trotting and harness racing is pretty popular in West Cork and there are organised events in many towns, Durrus, Skibbereen, Drimoleague etc.

http://harnessracingcork.com

Wel, you couldn't be more wrong. Trotting and harness racing is pretty popular in West Cork and there are organised events in many towns, Durrus, Skibbereen, Drimoleague etc.

http://harnessracingcork.com

So there's really no need to be doing it on the roads then is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

In years to come, if we decide to create a virtual capsule of what life was like on boards in 2018, one of the first items will be a screen capture of a traveller thread on the front page of After Hours with between 150-3000 replies and the word Conor74 displayed in the Last Post column.

So there's really no need to be doing it on the roads then is there?

Well the races take place on roads - closed roads of course - beaches and fields afaik.

There is no need whatsoever to do it on roads that are not closed, and that's the crime. But calls to ban a perfectly legitimate sport because some break the law while doing it, or suggesting it is unique to traveller culture, are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

These lads are not travellers.

https://cdn.rasset.ie/manifest/audio/2018/0116/20180116_rteradio1-seanorourke-shouldsulk_c21301663_21301669_261_/manifest.m3u8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭weisses

In Ireland you mean ?

Pretty common on the mainland

https://thehague4you.wordpress.com/2017/08/30/duindigt-race-track-at-wassenaar/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I agree with banning sulky racing from public roads.

But guess what? They won't care, it will be just another two fingered gesture to the law, and a challenge them to do what they want to anyway. Gardai appear to be terrified of them, so who will arrest them for breaking the law IF they break a ban on public roads, if introduced?

wtf is a sulky race

There is no need whatsoever to do it on roads that are not closed, and that's the crime. But calls to ban a perfectly legitimate sport because some break the law while doing it, or suggesting it is unique to traveller culture, are wrong.

I don't think anyone is arguing it should be banned in it's entirety though are they? (Least that's not the impression I'm getting?)

Just that it needs to be subject to the same rules and regulations as other events on public roads such as road closures, insurance, medical support, safety equipment, Garda cooperation and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 I LOVE LIMERICK LIFE

Do people expect unarmed Gardai to arrest a hundred PAs armed with slashhooks, bars, golf clubs, while they have a baton and pepper spray.

Any Garda raid on a site has to have loads of units, riot squad, dog unit they're meet with that much hostility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Once saw a sulkie slam into the back of a brand new car,writing it off. Poor horse was bollixed. They got up off the ground ,jumped back on and galloped off with their blocker car doing all it could,including driving directly at cars to stop them following.
    Rang the garda and told them the score,where I was,where the accident happened (1/2 mile from a huge station) and the halting site they had gone into. Took the cops 1.5 hrs to respond
    I rest my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Anyone who doubts how the horses are treated should drive along the Headford Road Galway by the halting site. Two horses were involved in separate accidents with vehicles last week.

An operation was launched this afternoon to remove a number of animals at Carrowbrowne on the Headford Road.
    It follows an emergency meeting held at County Hall yesterday – to discuss stray horses along the N84.
    They’ve been responsible for a number of road crashes and near misses along the busy commuter route over the past number of years.
    Local Authority officials and Gardai alongside private operators this afternoon moved on two sites at Carrowbrowne.
    They removed a number of horses, which are described as being forced to live in ‘appalling’ conditions.
    Councillor James Charity has welcomed the move and says further operations will be carried out in future if necessary.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/gardai-council-remove-horses-headford-road-site/

This week two more horses were on the Headford Road.

These are the same horses that had to be emergency fed & some drowned. If anyone else did this they would be prosecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

jonon9 wrote: »
    Vermin the lot of them.
    Mod note: jonon9, don't post in this thread again.

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

knipex wrote: »
    The cork road and in particular the Croom bypass are the location of regular sulky races, particularly in Summer. Its either racing or times trials between overpasses and I am sick of reporting it the gardai.. Waste of time..

Well placed I.E.D or Portable Spike Barrier :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

But calls to ban a perfectly legitimate sport because some break the law while doing it, or suggesting it is unique to traveller culture, are wrong.

what they are doing has no relation to the legitimate sport. On open roads and no animal welfare of any kind.

Don't even attempt to make the two appear similar, it's an insult to those involved in the real sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

knackers being knackers shock horrror
    Mod note: wildlifeboy, don't post in this thread again.

Buford T. Justice

• Site Banned Posts: 5 Mr. O

I don't get all these calls to make it illegal :confused:
    Since when do travellers obey laws anyway?
    Any damage they do will just be covered by the victim's car insurance and that person will unfortunately see a premium increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Here's a picture of a well treated horse from a traveller sulky race.

3jX.jpg

fake news - he's only having a well earned rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The participants in these “races” should face upwards of ten years solitary hard labour...and then I woke up and realised this is Ireland - a little tut tut from the judge is about the height of it

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5 Mr. O

Culture boss.

Advertisement