Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this mech fixable?

Options
  • 23-01-2018 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Clearing out the parts bin and remembered this mech. There's a pin broken and online diagrams of spare parts don't seem to show the pin available.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tony.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Would you get a bolt in there to use as a pivot? You might be better with one that has no threads near the nut end

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'd say it should be fixable if you manage to find a well fitting bolt, both in length and diameter so there will be no play.

Or you can drill the holes exactly to the diameter of the one you find long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, properly fitting bolt, washer on both ends and a locknut so you can close it without overtightening.

The original is a press-fit rivet, so there's no way that can be supplied and fitted outside of the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

Thanks for the advice guys. Might take a crack at it the weekend. Be something for the town bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the place i've usually been recommended in case i need unusual bolts or similar is tuck's fasteners, in finglas, if you're anywhere near there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Why a bolt surely you could pick up a pin and rivet it yourself. A few taps with a hammer on a vice or similar will seat it nicely. A bolt might be a bit nasty looking. Easily fixable to a decent bike mech I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

Just got around to this (eventually). I've stuck a roll pin into it and cut off the excess. Then wedged out the roll pin to put pressure on the edges of the body. The mech seems to behave well. Not pretty but hopefully will perform on the hacker bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

hack / bodge of the week!!

Advertisement